Search similar:

uniqs
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

2 edits

webcobbler

iPad 2 AirPlay bounceback

Ever since the ATV 3rd Gen. was updated to version 7.0 and beyond, I have not been able to AirPlay anything. From Safari, to Amazon via AirPlay. Actually, the other day, it worked normally. But maybe that was an anomaly.

I do not know if it has anything to do with the iPad becoming old technology, or what. It is very frustrating. I am not sure if it is because it need a lot of time to buffer, and AirPlaying cuts off the buffer. IDK.

I have tried everything, except to buy a new iPad.

I have used my father's iPad Air when he was over, and it does not seem to have this issue at all.

I am close to the router, and my ATV is directly connected. I am on iOS 7. Does updating to iOS 8 help this at all?

Does anyone else experience this?

Thank You,

WebCobbler

I again, just tried the iPad Air. It is experiencing the same thing. I wonder what the deal is.

I can not connect to it with my Computer now either. Very Very odd.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

You have a networking issue. Have you tried: turning off all/most devices in the house, power cycle the router, then powering up just the ATV and one iDevice and see if it works?
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

1 edit

webcobbler

I actually disconnected the Ethernet Cable, HDMI, and Power from the ATV for about 1 minute. Plugged it all back in.

So far, that seems to have done the trick. I do not know why just rebooting or reseting it, did not do anything, but this did instead.

I was able to AirPlay the rest of the Amazon Episode with no problems. My Computer Mirrored just fine, as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Edit: Today, it seems to be the same issue again. Oh well.
Daemon
Premium Member
join:2003-06-29
Washington, DC

Daemon to webcobbler

Premium Member

to webcobbler
I had this issue yesterday if I tried to enable AirPlay while the ATV was sleeping. It woke the ATV up, but then refused to stream anything. I had to reboot both phone and ATV to get it to work again.

However, if I wake the ATV before attempting to enable AirPlay, it works just fine.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Daemon,

Thanks for the reply.

I did some testing. I have another ATV3 downstairs. Last night, I AirPlayed video content from Safari, ESPN, Amazon etc. Plus I mirrored my Computer to it. It all worked without a hitch.

Today, I swapped it for the one upstairs that I have these issues with. Again, everything worked as it should. I spent some time testing all the ways I could think of AirPlaying and Mirroring my Computer. Everything worked the first time. No Bounce backs.

I however, have not tested only using WiFi. I do not intend to use it, and never have on my ATV devices. I like things to be direct connected.

I can not see a reason why using WiFi would clear anything up, anyway.

So anyway, My conclusion is that my Upstairs ATV3, somehow has an internal problem, that does not work with AirPlay anymore. It all started around the same time of the 7.0 update.

Streaming content directly to it, I have no problems whatsoever. My problems Only occur when I want to AirPlay and Mirror my Computer.

I figure that hopefully next year when the refreshed ATV 4th Gen comes out, I will get that for my Main Room, and then use the one downstairs for the upstairs. (Since I know it works, as stated earlier). And then just discard the bad model at that time.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune to webcobbler

to webcobbler
So when you swapped them did you test both ATVs in their new locations to see if issue followed the problem ATV or it if it was the location? If it's the ATV I would first reset all settings and set it back up again, if it's still not working, perform a full restore. To speed up the setup process afterward you can follow this article: »support.apple.com/en-us/HT202788 which tells you how you can set it up using your iOS device.
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

1 edit

webcobbler

I restored it, and now the other ATV3 is having the same issues. The one that worked. I do not know what is going on.

I truly believe that my issues all started when the new software was pushed out. I believe that in my Gut.

I have tried everything except to call apple. But I do not want to pay the $40 dollars or so, to ask a question.

I use AirPlay everyday for my business. Not anymore, I guess.

UPDATE: For the Hell of it, I unplugged there Ethernet, and just went to WiFi. BOOM! Everything works normally. I do not know why, but it does. AirPlay, as well as Computer Mirroring.

I only conclusion, is that there is a Bug, or faulty Code, that does not allow AirPlay etc over Ethernet.

I am not sure, even if they are aware of this issue.

But whenever I need to do Mirror, or AirPlay, I know what to do now. The rest of the time, I will be Directly Connected.

Hopefully Apple will fix this issue with the next update.
kitsune
join:2001-11-26
Sacramento, CA

kitsune

Chances are far more likely that the update to the ATV has introduced a compatibility issue with your router. I would check to see if there is a firmware update available for it.