Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

maartena

Premium Member

Doesn't work.... Never had, never will.

In most countries ISP's are not required to block a site, unless ordered so by some sort of official court, and I believe it is the same way in the U.S. As soon as an ISP gets an official court order, they will block it. But not without a court order.

And in that, is the caveat. The Pirate Bay (before it went down of course) was blocked in several countries. However, an alternative domain was put up within 48 hours, making the court order pretty much unusable. To block the NEW domain, the copyright watchdogs will have to get a new court order. This takes time, effort, money, and after about 2 months of legal paperwork and tax dollars spent, a new court order to block the new domain can be presented to the ISP's. Laws vary by country of course, but in most countries in the western world an ISP can't be ordered to do anything until the law makes them, and blocking websites is something ISP's don't want to do, as they might lose customers if they do. NO ISP will voluntarily block torrent sites.

And within hours after a block, a new domain name is used, spread across twitter, and the whole fun can start all over again.

On top of that there are many circumventing methods. VPN's. Proxy's. SmartDNS. Alternate domain names. Servers in different countries. Etc, etc....

The ONLY things that are actually very effective to combating piracy..... are things like iTunes and Netflix. LEGAL media that is affordable, seems the best way to keep piracy at bay. I used to pirate all sorts of stuff, many many years ago. But ever since I got a Netflix account I find myself just using it for something to watch, instead of trawling the net for DivX copies.

I don't know if the industry will ever learn, but website blocking hasn't worked for 20 years, and it won't work now.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

... and, as has been pointed out repeated, even attempting to block TPB is in itself a violation of law and freedoms. TPB does not host nor distribute copyrighted material. It's a damn torrent tracker. Again, you get idiots who don't have any tech savvy at all writing law(s) and directing enforcements to be used (abused) against things they don't understand and have no clue how they work.

No good will come of this. None.