uniqs
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

wife hit a deer

So my wife hit a deer or guess i should say deer hit her. It ran into the side of the car on county line rd in warrington pa. Im guessing comprehensive coverage and not collision. Am i correct in that thinking? I dont know how bad it is but she said the door doesnt open so im guessing its pretty bad. Dam she cant keep this car out of the body shop.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith

Premium Member

Yeah, generally speaking if you hit the animal first (or only), then it's comprehensive. If you drive into the ditch to avoid hitting the animal, then it's collision.
If you find yourself making too many comprehensive claims (or any claim types), your insurance company may drop you or raise your rates regardless. Especially the "bargain" insurance companies.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

3 edits

rody_44

Premium Member

Insurance said its gonna be comprehensive. Deer ran into her and they said the driver cant control what animals do. Sux as this is the third time in less than a year for the body shop. 8000,00 and 3500.00 and now what ever this costs. Oh well i guess thats why we pay insurance. Im at a loss how none of them are ever considered her fault tho as far as insurance goes. But thats a good thing. Gonna be the fourth fender for the left front drivers side and its only a 2010 car. She was slowing for 6 deer in front of her and this deer ran into the side of her.

DeerSlayer
@216.19.25.x

DeerSlayer

Anon

Had several deer encounters over the years. First one almost cost me my life when I rolled down a hill after the hit. Insurance had a new car waiting before I could get out of bed. The last one hit the side of my truck on an Interstate. I pulled over when I heard a loud thump. The 18 wheeler behind me pulled over and told me it was a deer and he turned it into deer-burgers. Not much you can do considering the country is overrun with deer. All fixed under comprehensive. No increase in premiums for me ever.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Insurance said its gonna be comprehensive.

One advantage for it being covered under comprehensive is that most people's deductibles are lower. And as to Underwriting, it is not normally a black mark with the Insurance Carrier.

I did have Claims where the deer claim was suspicious, so I or my Appraiser would intensively inspect the car for any remnants of a deer. Hair, body parts, flesh, shape of impact, where the accident took place and other criteria. Especially when the Deductible for Collision was $500 and Comp was $50.

rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Click for full size
Yes the deductible is much lower. But as you can see in the picture its pretty clear damage was done by a deer. Notice the deer hair stuck everywhere. She was dead stopped when the deer just ran into the side of her.

hortnut
Huh?
PDX Metro

hortnut

No, I was not commenting about you. Just reminiscing. One State I lived in had a lot of National, State and County Forests, not counting privately held forests. So lots of interactions.

She was probably better off being stopped when hit. Some headons or near, can cause a lot more damage and injuries to the occupants.

I was talking about just some people in general. One Company I worked for, insured mainly high risk folks. Anyone else would be insane to pay their premiums when they could insure with a standard company. Amazing the tales they would weave. Especially the DUI's.

It was a good place to cut my teeth for 2 years and then move on for more Salary, perks, benefits, and more complex claims. At the time they were doing $100,000,000 [that is million] in premiums nationwide. One source puts their 2013 Premiums at $17 Billion USD for all lines written.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

Click for full size
I didnt take it as you were commenting about me. Just my luck tho she drove thru mud and with it bent the way it is now it looks like she ran off the road because mud is all over the car.

Hmm, do i wash the mud off and risk washing the hair off or leave it with the hair on and looking like she went mudding

hortnut
Huh?
PDX Metro

hortnut

If it were me and it has not been inspected yet, leave it as is. Around here there plenty of opportunities of driving in mud at this time of year.
hortnut

hortnut to rody_44

to rody_44
Take a bunch of pictures of all sides of the car, from many different angles. Up close and far away. With digital, the more the better. That will be your proof. If you feel the mud takes away, clean it up.
billydunwood
join:2008-04-23
united state

1 recommendation

billydunwood to rody_44

to rody_44
As I always say to people involved in accidents, try and fight for OEM parts.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

OEM parts no longer matter to me. The cars 4 years old now and at the end of its wife life as far as im concerned.
85281231 (banned)
join:2014-02-01

2 recommendations

85281231 (banned) to b_p_smith

to b_p_smith
said by b_p_smith:

Yeah, generally speaking if you hit the animal first (or only), then it's comprehensive. If you drive into the ditch to avoid hitting the animal, then it's collision.

NEVER try to avoid hitting a deer by swerving, best to slow down if you can without locking up the breaks and hit it straight on. There are many killed by swerving losing control and crashing into oncoming traffic or crashing into trees on the side of the road or flipping the vehicle.
I know of people killed by swerving & flipping when they would have most likely survived with minor injuries if any if they had hit it straight on.

In most places deers killed by auto accident become yours if you wish, regardless of what some may say, Deer meat is great if prepared properly(you can't cook it like beef).
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA

fixrman

Premium Member

I agree with you, but it should be noted that sometimes there is little one can do. Deer coming through the windscreen kill more people than one might think.
b_p_smith
Premium Member
join:2002-02-13
Merrickville, ON

b_p_smith

Premium Member

Yeah, a *very* tough decision to be made in a split-second. In my area, I'm well aware of people hurt & killed while trying to avoid a deer, and also of people hurt & killed *not* trying to avoid a deer.

Normally at that instant, your insurance considerations shouldn't be top of your mind.

I've only hit a deer once. I didn't have time to swerve or brake, Totaled the car, but nobody hurt. The deer sausages, on the other hand, tasted yummy.
Mighty expensive freezer-order though. :-(

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
I moved left on the Taconic Parkway one night to allow a car to merge. He "thanked" me by speeding up and running along side of me for a mile or two, (which is to me among the some of the most annoying behaviors in driver-dom) but anyway...

Guess who was waiting for me in the left lane? Yes, that's right, an adolescent (translation STOOPIT) young deer. I got away with a $35 will fit grill piece plus a $6 rattle can of paint fix. Incredibly, an off the shelf spray paint is a near exact color match. It would have been nice to be able to pull over and b---- slap my friend in the right lane, but I suppose I could have slowed down to allow for his lack of courtesy and driving ability, so...

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
Click for full size
I spotted a deer running from right to left onto the road a coupe of years ago, and was able to slow down enough, to 25 mph, for $4,000 damage under comprehensive.

Deer survived but had 2 broken legs, so it was shot by police.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Not much you can do about deer. Car is in getting repaired.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

1 edit

Grumpy4 to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
I had a notion to put together a vehicle horn using coyote howls to scare the deer into the deeper woods as opposed to the clearing along roadways.

I suppose it could also scare them right into the way...

The deer along the interstates are often so immune to traffic that for me to lay on an air horn at 30 feet from them (on at least a dozen occasions) does not even make them blink.

84 and 81 through PA in rut season - not unusual to see dead young deer along the road every mile or three.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

rody_44

Premium Member

You know they have them dam deer crossing signs all over. My wife wants to know why the deer dont obey the damn signs.

Boooost
@151.190.254.x

Boooost to billydunwood

Anon

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

As I always say to people involved in accidents, try and fight for OEM parts.

If you have to "fight", you need a better insurance company and/or body shop. The shop I use (too many visits, unfortunately) only uses OEM parts and the insurance company is fine with that.

Regarding animals, never swerve to avoid an animal.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

I've worked for about 10 carriers over the years (I'd say 5 major ones) and don't know of any that don't use LKQ parts when possible. If you have a newer (less then 2 years old) vehicle then OEM would be used. The carrier certainly does not approve OEM just because that is all the body shop uses.

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3 to DeerSlayer

Anon

to DeerSlayer
DeerSlayer your post reminded me of a story from my youth. I was at college and to make a good impression on a member of the female student body, I offered to give her a ride home for christmas break (we both lived in the same town about 3 hours away from college) Anyway as we're driving along a herd or flock or whatever of deer pop out of the woods and stop dead in the road. This was a two lane divided interstate highway, thankfully I saw the deer in time and had time to pull over and come to a stop. A semi whcih was about a 1/4 mile behind me decided that apparently he didn't have time for that. He plowed through the flock like it wasn't even there. I am pretty sure at least 2 or 3 of the deer were vaporized as there was nothing left besides some chunks of bone and a whole lot of blood.

Anyway, after the truck cleared the path, we pulled back on the road and continued home. About a mile later, the girl asked me if I thought the deer would be OK. Thinking she was joking, I said "yeah it probably walked away"

She wasn't kidding though...