Search similar:

uniqs

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

Please recommend a custom build online PC shop?

Hello,

Does anyone know of a reliable online computer store that builds budget priced well built clean on the inside Desktop computers where they also allow you to pick from lots of different name brand parts?

I was hoping to spend around $800 or so Max.

I will not be gaming much at all however I want something that is super fast as far as Boot up time and opening software. Also would like it to allow me to unzip large archives very fast and also great for watching 1080P video. And also being able to have lot of tabs opened in a browser with out slowing down the computer. Also I definitely want a Intel 4th Gen I5 or I7 depending on price with 16GB memory and at least 128 SSD drive. Motherboard must have several USB 3.0 ports including USB 3.0 ports on the case it self. I am pretty sure I do not want a big name brand desktop like Dell or HP mainly because they do not allow you to pick all the parts and usually come with a crappy Power Supply and also not much room for extra hard drives and from pictures I have seen they are kind of tight and messy on the inside.

And before you say anything I definitely will not be putting it together myself. I tried that once and it was not a fun time at all.

Thanks
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

I think, based on your stated requirements, that your budgeted price is too low.

Add maybe another $300 and start from there.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
You're going to pay $150-200 premium extra over building this yourself.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
I think you can get close to meeting your budget if you go with 8 GB of RAM and an i5 Haswell, so you won't need a discrete video card. But the assembly and testing will cost you extra.

You mentioned not having enough room for hard drives. How many hard drive bays do you need?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
I think the 16 GB of memory is overkill-- 8 GB is more than enough for what you need.

That said, the B85 configurator with the i5-4460, 16 GB memory, GTX 750 2GB, 240 GB Kingston V300 SSD, and Win 8.1 is $837.

»www.ibuypower.com/Store/1656

Case 1 x Raidmax Horus Gaming Case - Black
Case Lighting X
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction X
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion X
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module [B85] - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 - 2GB
Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x SATA 6Gb/s, 2x USB 3.0
Power Supply 1 x 500 Watt - Standard - *FREE Upgrade to Corsair CX500 V2 - 80 PLUS Bronze
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 120 GB Kingston V300 SATA-3 SSD -- Read: 450MB/s; Write: 450MB/s - Single Drive*Free Upgrade to 240GB Kingston V300 SSD* (Single Drive Only)
Data Hard Drive X
Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
2nd Optical Drive X
Media Card Reader / Writer X
Meter Display X
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
USB Expansion Card X
Operating System 1 x Windows 8.1 + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit
Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
Monitor X
2nd Monitor X
Speaker System X
Webcam X
Case Engraving Service X
Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service 1 x No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 10-15 Business Days)

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

I think you can get close to meeting your budget if you go with 8 GB of RAM and an i5 Haswell, so you won't need a discrete video card. But the assembly and testing will cost you extra.

You mentioned not having enough room for hard drives. How many hard drive bays do you need?

An SSD drive and perhaps 3 extra hard drives for storage.

I already have extra hard drives from my older PC.
gate1975mlm

gate1975mlm to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I think the 16 GB of memory is overkill-- 8 GB is more than enough for what you need.

That said, the B85 configurator with the i5-4460, 16 GB memory, GTX 750 2GB, 240 GB Kingston V300 SSD, and Win 8.1 is $837.

»www.ibuypower.com/Store/1656

Case 1 x Raidmax Horus Gaming Case - Black
Case Lighting X
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction X
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion X
Processor 1 x Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor (4x 3.20GHz/6MB L3 Cache)
Processor Cooling 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - Standard 120mm Fan
Memory 1 x 16 GB [8 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module [B85] - Corsair or Major Brand
Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 - 2GB
Motherboard 1 x Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 -- 2x PCIe x16, 4x SATA 6Gb/s, 2x USB 3.0
Power Supply 1 x 500 Watt - Standard - *FREE Upgrade to Corsair CX500 V2 - 80 PLUS Bronze
Primary Hard Drive 1 x 120 GB Kingston V300 SATA-3 SSD -- Read: 450MB/s; Write: 450MB/s - Single Drive*Free Upgrade to 240GB Kingston V300 SSD* (Single Drive Only)
Data Hard Drive X
Optical Drive 1 x 24x Dual Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
2nd Optical Drive X
Media Card Reader / Writer X
Meter Display X
Sound Card 1 x 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
USB Expansion Card X
Operating System 1 x Windows 8.1 + Office 365 Trial [Free 30-Day !!!] 64-bit
Keyboard 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard
Mouse 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse
Monitor X
2nd Monitor X
Speaker System X
Webcam X
Case Engraving Service X
Warranty 1 x 3 Year Standard Warranty Service
Rush Service 1 x No Rush Service (Usually Ships in 10-15 Business Days)

That place does not seem to allow you to use on board video instead of add on card which would make it even cheaper I would think. I actually have a AMD Radeon HD 6570 from my older PC that I could use or just use the on board video if that would be good enough for my needs. Also you really think 8GB is more then enough for my needs?
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
ibuypower or cyberpowerpc are going to be some of the least expensive options.
You can also go to mwave.com and they have a link to their build option where you can pay them $80 to put the parts together and test them. I can find the link for you if you need it..

If you can find a big name box with the specs you want (ssd etc.) then I see no reason not to go that way. The issue with such machines is often that the power supply doesnt allow a graphics card upgrade for gaming but that isn't an issue in your case.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm

Premium Member

said by asdfdfdfdfdf:

ibuypower or cyberpowerpc are going to be some of the least expensive options.
You can also go to mwave.com and they have a link to their build option where you can pay them $80 to put the parts together and test them. I can find the link for you if you need it..

If you can find a big name box with the specs you want (ssd etc.) then I see no reason not to go that way. The issue with such machines is often that the power supply doesnt allow a graphics card upgrade for gaming but that isn't an issue in your case.

If you could show me the Mwave build option for $80 page that would be great.
SD6
join:2005-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6 to gate1975mlm

to gate1975mlm
said by gate1975mlm:

Does anyone know of a reliable online computer store that builds budget priced well built clean on the inside Desktop computers where they also allow you to pick from lots of different name brand parts?

www.avadirect.com
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to gate1975mlm

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
The site seems to have changed since I last looked at it. The faq still discusses the assembly and testing option but the links fail. I will have to look into more tomorrow. It may be that they no longer offer that service to US customers. Sorry about that. If I find good news I'll post back.

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to SD6

Premium Member

to SD6
said by SD6:

said by gate1975mlm:

www.avadirect.com

Thanks for that link.

This looks exactly the kind of computer store I was looking for.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Premium Member

to gate1975mlm
said by gate1975mlm:

That place does not seem to allow you to use on board video instead of add on card which would make it even cheaper I would think. I actually have a AMD Radeon HD 6570 from my older PC that I could use or just use the on board video if that would be good enough for my needs. Also you really think 8GB is more then enough for my needs?

You can select the cheapest GPU, which is an AMD R5 230 1GB; by selecting 8 GB of ram, you can get the price down to $682.

The equivalent build on AVADirect is about $150 more ($838) and doesn't come with the extra graphics card or water cooling.

The actual cost of such a build with similar or better parts, but without the discrete graphics card, is about $625--you pay a $35 markup by going with iBuyPower, or a $215 markup with AVADirect.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($172.94 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Antec KUHLER H2O 650 Liquid CPU Cooler ($27.49 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $622.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-13 02:35 EST-0500
RouterRooter
join:2001-11-22
Rockville, MD

RouterRooter

We've use magicmicro.com for two desktops in the last two years. They let you pick exact parts from a pretty long list for every item -- case, PSU, mobo, cooler, most everything. At the UPS center five days after my online order last time. Units seem pretty well-assembled. They forgot to connect one case fan in one unit, otherwise perfect and neat inside. Good luck.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

And here's why I don't like OEMs. I couldn't find an *exact* comparison to the above build, so I equipped two identical builds--one on PCPartsPicker, which finds you the lowest price of that component, and the other on Magic Micro.

Here are the results--the bottom line is that you are paying $190 more for the exact same computer/components from Magic Micro. That's a steep premium for a low-end or entry level machine. OEMs are supposed to own the low-end market, offering deals on these sorts of computers that you would be hard-pressed to match if you built yourself.

For this specific case, I'd recommend sticking with iBuyPower or Cyberpower--even with the added video card, they are still cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($177.90 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B85M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($75.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 430W ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($12.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $574.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-13 14:07 EST-0500

vs

Magic Micro Intel i3 Haswell Media - $763

Intel Core i5-4430 Haswell 3.0GHz (3.2GHz turbo) Quad-Core 6000K
Intel Socket 1150/1155 CPU fan
ASRock B85M Pro4 , Onboard Video, X-Fire, HD Audio, GB LAN, USB3.0, HDMI & DVI
8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel
HD Onboard 3D graphics Dual head, HDMI (only if listed with board)
240.0 GB SSD Kingston SSDNow V300 Solid State Drive, SATA3 6.0Gb/s, 450MBs
LG 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW
Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Ethernet network adapter (onboard)
Thermaltake Commander MS-1 Snow Edition,side window,front USB3.0 & 2.0
Thermaltake TR2 430W ultra quiet ATX Power Supply w/ 6pin PCI-E
Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-Bit DVD
Standard assembly and test 3-5 business days

SD6
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6

said by Krisnatharok:

Here are the results--the bottom line is that you are paying $190 more for the exact same computer/components from Magic Micro.

You are not paying more for the same components. I don't know Magic Micro but typically you are paying for the convenience and time savings of having the exact custom build you want, not having to order and track component orders from different places, hand assembly, installing OS, testing and burn-in and sometimes better/faster warranty or customer service. There is value in that if done well and it is fine to pay MagicMicro or another computer tech business in USA a fair price for such services.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by SD6:

You are not paying more for the same components.

This isn't meant to devolve into an OEM vs. DIY argument. I think the benefits of DIY are obvious, but iBuyPower is significantly cheaper for better parts (newer CPU, includes a discrete GPU). I was showing that Magic Micro is charging much more of a premium than iBuyPower is.
SD6
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6

said by Krisnatharok:

This isn't meant to devolve into an OEM vs. DIY argument.

Really??

Because the OP clearly said "before you say anything I definitely will not be putting it together myself"

and yet you still said three comments arguing in favor of DIY before getting to the comment I responded to:

1) "You're going to pay $150-200 premium extra over building this yourself."

2) "you pay a $35 markup by going with iBuyPower, or a $215 markup with AVADirect."

3) "And here's why I don't like OEMs..."

And then - "...deals on these sorts of computers that you would be hard-pressed to match if you built yourself"

AND you posted two DIY builds from PCPartPicker!!

AND still you said "I think the benefits of DIY are obvious"

all of which were off-topic and OP explicitly asked against making

So yea, you did...

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

ok.
Krisnatharok

2 recommendations

Krisnatharok to SD6

Premium Member

to SD6
For your edification, it is standard practice in this forum to link a PC Parts Picker build to show the prospective buyer the actual cost of the parts. I was not suggesting, at any time, the OP do a DIY yourself build, as he requested an OEM shop. Both PCPP builds are meant to display the actual cost vs. OEM cost so he gets an idea of how much extra he will pay--as shown, iBuyPower has the least markup, with only $35-50 over actual parts' cost, whereas both AVADirect and Magic Micro charge increasing premiums for the same pre-built service.

I'm really baffled why you chose to attack me instead of offering substantive advice. You come off as very reactionary and defensive about OEM PC's. Most of my posts that you quote are assisting the OP in understanding the whole picture--not denigrating him. If you took any of that as an attack--personal or otherwise--you are high and to the right.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to SD6

Premium Member

to SD6
said by SD6:

www.avadirect.com

Hmmm...I had never heard of this company but their pricing looks pretty good. Thanks for posting.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
join:2014-08-26
USA

wutsinterweb3 to SD6

Premium Member

to SD6
If one goes to the doctor and asks for remedy for a malady, and the doctor fails to share the downsides of treatment, is that doctor doing the patient justice? Kris is just giving him facts, the guy might not know much about hardware, he wants a 1200 dollar build for 800 dollars, so maybe it's a good idea to give him careful information, not just a dry comment?
said by SD6:

said by Krisnatharok:

This isn't meant to devolve into an OEM vs. DIY argument.

Really??

Because the OP clearly said "before you say anything I definitely will not be putting it together myself"

and yet you still said three comments arguing in favor of DIY before getting to the comment I responded to:

1) "You're going to pay $150-200 premium extra over building this yourself."

2) "you pay a $35 markup by going with iBuyPower, or a $215 markup with AVADirect."

3) "And here's why I don't like OEMs..."

And then - "...deals on these sorts of computers that you would be hard-pressed to match if you built yourself"

AND you posted two DIY builds from PCPartPicker!!

AND still you said "I think the benefits of DIY are obvious"

all of which were off-topic and OP explicitly asked against making

So yea, you did...