spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

Thinking about leaving Shaw for Telus

With regards to Optic TV. Does it use the Bandwidth given to your internet connection or is it separate?
WackyGaru
join:2009-02-10
Grande Prairie, AB

WackyGaru

Seperate

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

2 edits

humanfilth to Doonz

to Doonz
With QOS, OptikTV is bandwidth that is above your Internet connection rated speed.

Say you have a 50Mbps Internet and OptikTV. Your DSL line profile will be set at around 70-76Mbps(depending on line conditions). Fibre can be set higher. Each Optik HD stream uses around 4Mbps-6Mbps. If you have 4HD(available with the Actiontec T1200H/T2200H) thats around 16-24Mbps with all 4HD on at the same time(recording/watching).
So if you have 4HD running at the same time it can take a slight amount of your Internet speed, if your line profile doesn't have quite enough overhead, to prevent TV pixelation. Telus sales, for copper, will rate how many HD streams you can get, in order to not Optik-QOS from your Internet speed.

If not enough overhead for the HD streams you want, you could get OptikTV on a second pair, meaning zero impact on your Internet speed.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

Ok that's what I was thinking.

Thanks Guys!

parrelium
join:2005-07-31

parrelium

I just tested to see if there was any difference with all TV streams going. Got exactly the same speed results whether watching 4HD or not.

Liken
@99.199.111.x

Liken to Doonz

Anon

to Doonz
"Thinking about leaving Shaw for Telus"

Can you give a reason why you would change from Shaw to Telus?

parrelium
join:2005-07-31

parrelium

Knowing Doonz's history, I would assume the upload is a big factor...
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to Liken

to Liken
said by Liken :

"Thinking about leaving Shaw for Telus"

Can you give a reason why you would change from Shaw to Telus?

Sure the bastards keep raising my bill for no reason
Doonz

Doonz (banned) to parrelium

to parrelium
said by parrelium:

Knowing Doonz's history, I would assume the upload is a big factor...

Eh not so much anymore. Its now all those streaming sites and a multi monitor set up that killig me
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102 to Doonz

to Doonz

Sure the bastards keep raising my bill for no reason

And that never happens with Telus.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Doonz

MVM

to Doonz
We switched and have regretted it as we never had this many problems with Shaw, regular connection drops while watching tv and no one seems to knows why. Toss in restrictions around blocked ports and having to use their router etc we will going back to Shaw (I liked being able to connected to my home server when I traveled for example).

Blake
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to AJ102

to AJ102
@AJ102

Thats true. But it could take about 2-3 years to get back up to the price of my current package.

@Link Logger

Yeah Shaw has been rock solid for me, I will have an IISP as redundancy for internet (Home based business)

I'll be saving roughly $60/mnth And since i'm on a grandfathered plan from Shaw when i move in 10 month that package will be gone. so I will be bumped off of 250/15 down to 50mbit unmetered for 180 dollars

But im not entering in a contract so if this only last a few months its not a big deal

cpmrich
@71.17.59.x

cpmrich to AJ102

Anon

to AJ102
since when

telus just raised rates twice this year. they are guilty also.
AJ102
join:2005-03-22
Vancouver, BC

AJ102

Need to improve your sarcasm detector cpmrich.
AJ102

AJ102 to Doonz

to Doonz
In the last several years I have been very happy with the quality and speed of both Shaw and Telus internet in my neighbourhood. Telus had some of the worst customer service anywhere for a few years, but they seem to have recovered.

The price is another matter. The frequent unjustified price increases and the insane "new customer" pricing policies that encourage churn are exasperating. Both companies are equally bad, but Telus is a little worse because they bill in advance and give less time to pay.
krazy_leb8
join:2003-11-10

2 recommendations

krazy_leb8 to Doonz

to Doonz
I just posted on this. I personally love what TELUS offers. When it works, its great. When I have to deal with customer service. I feel like shooting my self in the head.
I have a neighbor who has had SHAW for 4 years without ever calling them for any technical issues. I have problems at least once a year. I don't mean stupid technical issues. I am tech savvy and I wont call for stupid reasons. I mean I am down and there is nothing that can be done on my end to fix it.
Stay with SHAW if your are happy.

BCUser
@207.6.179.x

BCUser to Doonz

Anon

to Doonz
I've ordered stand-alone internet from both at 2 different locations and I'm glad I tried both each time.

Shaw slows down during peak depending on your neighbourhood node, there's no way around it. Try it, see how bad it gets, and then decide if it's worth keeping.

Telus speeds depend on how far you're house is from the CO (unless your lucky and get fiber). Unfortunately at my Mission house, the CO must be pretty far cause I max out at ~1.6Mbps so I have to stick with Shaw (even though congestion is bad too and at peak I usually get 1/4 of my 25Mbps plan).

At my Surrey place Shaw's congestion isn't that bad, during peak I only slow down to ~15-20Mbps on my 25Mbps plan.

I also agree with the earlier post about churning though I've slowly gotten too lazy to do it as frequent.