spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nofear255
join:2014-12-08
Memramcook, NB

nofear255

[Internet] Looking for help from anyone with knowledge of aerial setups

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me identify the following aerial components. If you don't want to read-through my whole (lengthy) blob, you can see the pics at the bottom of this post.

To sum it up, I've been trying to get Rogers services to my house that never had any in the past and was told it was unserviceable from the get-go. I tried to get some more information from the local representative that I was dealing with to have a better understanding of why that was the case, but his story kept on changing:

- He initially left me a voicemail, saying he got confirmation from the address maintenance team telling him services weren't available in my area, and to check back occasionally to check on whether services reached my area or not.

- I called back to ask why my postal code (as well as all adjacent postal codes) showed up as being serviceable and that I was fairly confident that both my neighbors had services (they didn't have satellite, which is the only other way to get TV in this area), he replied that my neighbors were not Rogers customers, and that in fact the nearest house that was currently serviced by Rogers in my area was over 20 houses up the street from mine.

- I then eventually got confirmation that both my neighbors were in fact Rogers customers, and called back. He said he was going to talk to the maintenance crew once more and get back to me. A few hours later he called me and said that the maintenance crew told him that my house was over 450' away from the nearest tap, which rendered it unserviceable. I asked him if he was able to tell me where the nearest tap was (or at least, how far away), or provide me with contact information for that maintenance team so that I could contact them directly, but he denied both those requests.

At this point, I decided to turn to online help as I was getting nowhere with the local contacts (i.e. 3 different stories were provided every time I proved that the previous story wasn't accurate). I opened up 4 calls in total (2 telephone and 2 online chat sessions), each terminating with the support rep indicating that it appears we should be serviced and that they were contacting the proper team in order to do so and that we would hear back from them within a day or 2 max. Needless to say, we never heard anything back.

The latest development was that I then went through the "Share a concern" process on Rogers' website, and within a day a representative contacted me regarding my situation. The person in question was really nice and seemed to be the first one willing to actually get some information / possible results for me. After I explained the whole situation, he contacted the installation/maintenance team in my area, who told him that it turns out that 2 separate "networks" were feeding my 2 neighbors, and both those neighbors were the "end-of-the-line" of those networks, with my house being in a dead-zone. The only way that I would be able to get service would be if I was within 100 meters (which is not the same as the 450' they originally said) of those access points. They told the rep that they will be looking into what can be done (if at all possible) along with associated costs, but would only be able to do so mid-January of next year at the earliest. Hence why I'm here, to get some more information in the meantime, to ensure I'm not mislead as they did the previous 3 times.

The first picture is the overhead view of my street, with the green line indicating where services is available and the red spot where it's not (i.e. my house, and only my house). For reference point, the whole street is about 6 km, with a gap of around 1200' between where the 2 network end (I would of assumed they would of ensured coverage / done the whole street at this point, but don't know much regarding how they go about determining where services will be available).

My question is, what would be the devices that are labelled A through E in these pictures? I know that C is a tap, and that D is an amplifier (located one pole away from my house, between the 2 networks), but what are the other 3?

Thanks for any help provided.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

A, B and E look like the splice enclosures used by Bell! But they usually don't run their cables on the same level on the poles as cable ... but it's possible. Can't tell without looking closer.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

1 edit

cepnot4me to nofear255

to nofear255
D looks like a trunk amplifier. Everything else looks like Bell.

Rogers 'could put a tap there, how close is that to your house?
An aerial drop would be a right angle. The length needs to be calculated to run parallel to the distribution then a 90degree angle where it comes off the distribution and goes straight to the side of the house.
That length cannot exceed 500', but Rogers may say 300'. Both are correct, they depend on the signal strength they start with.

Now if it's not a trunk amplifier, it's a fiber node. Which I'm betting it is, that means you have fiber running past your house and Rogers will not tap into that to feed 1 customer.

What you want to do is head to your neighbors, follow their aerial back to the pole, you'll see it connect to a tap, that is the point you want to measure from. If both are end of the line, you'll want to measure both.

Odds are what Rogers needs to do is extend from one of the two terminating taps to a tap in front of your house, this isn't usually something they do for a customer.
A tap.»t0.gstatic.com/images?q= ··· -XF3Ji3w

The whole set up

»www.annsgarden.com/poles ··· per3.jpg

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to nofear255

Premium Member

to nofear255
A: That's an aerial terminal that is used to service customers. (Bell)
B: An older style aerial terminal that has been repurposed into a splice point. (Bell)
E: That's an aerial splice point. (Bell)

C: That looks like a coax tap. (Rogers)
D: As cepnot4me said, that's a coax amplifier. (Rogers)

----

You said in your post that the C & D are one pole away from your house, what is the distance between your house and that pole?
nofear255
Memramcook, NB

nofear255 to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

D looks like a trunk amplifier. Everything else looks like Bell.

Rogers 'could put a tap there, how close is that to your house?

That would be around 350' from my electrical panel, including the 90 degree angle...
nofear255

nofear255 to JC_

to JC_
said by JC_:

You said in your post that the C & D are one pole away from your house, what is the distance between your house and that pole?

D is around 350' from my electrical panel, while C (which is the tap currently nearest to me) is around 550'.
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis to nofear255

to nofear255
C or D would both be serviceable, but you'd need a straight shoot of rg11u with only one f81 for the ground with a 15db amplifier if the cable needs to be split any more than once.

Thats provided you can actually get a few techs out there to do it (you'll need 2) who bring a full spool of 11u cable.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I'm betting his taps run high, rurals are usually planned for 300' runs of 11u.
Either way though, we amp 50-75% of houses with bundles now a days.

His drop would most likely get run by whoever cuts a tap in to the linex. In the areas I work big drops like that, that cross the road and are 4 hour events usually go to a drop crew.
Rogers has realized...
1. There's never a tech available to assist the first guy, and he can't (I can but I'm stupid and like a challenge) run it alone.
2. If he does do it, the rest of his customers appointments won't be met.
nofear255
Memramcook, NB

nofear255

Thanks all for your replies! Much appreciated. I'll wait until I hear back from the installation crew in a few more weeks to see what their official word is. I just found it odd that the whole street has been serviced (over 20000') except for around 1000' (which is where my house is located).

Again, thanks for all the help!

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

What utility companies do is totally arbitrary. The gas company extended gas to our semi-rural area few years ago and offered us free connection. Those of us at the end of the proposed run on our street had all recently replaced furnaces. So didn't request connection. So the gas company stopped the line about 600' up the street and didn't install it to the end for the future.

What they DIDN'T tell us in the beginning was that if we didn't request a hookup, they would CHARGE us for the entire run up the street. My share of this 600' would be $18,000 IF at least 3 of the 6 homes connected at the same time. That would buy about 5 years of oil, or about 30 years to pay for based on the cost difference!

So don't be surprised if they won't do it.
nofear255
Memramcook, NB

nofear255

Good to know! Thanks for the info!