All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nice4
join:2003-06-19
Brooklyn, NY

nice4

client+AP mode cuts my speed down > 80% ? why?

with very limited experience and I need some advise here please...Here is the situation
My IPS provide a modem/router with 25/10 profile
- connecting with my cell and the do the speedtest, got 12/6...which seems okay
- now when I setup a router with CLIENT+AP (it a client wirelessly to my primary router, then using wire connects to another router (acting as AP only) they all within the same subnet). My connection speed is downed to 2/4 !!! that is a big drops in speed...why ?
- test again with different approach, a dd-wrt router acting as CLIENT+AP mode, AP with its own DHCP. I am getting about the same in speed too...is this mormal ?
Is there any alternative to improve the end-to-end throughput for my situation here ?

Thinking...since the ISP provided modem/router seems running in dual mode 24/5.0 (tested it already. once connected with 2.4 running with youtube and then use my cell, set for 5.0Ghz only and doing the speedtest, both are running at the same time. This is how I assumed it sending out both 2.4 and 5.0 signal concurrently).
Will any newly AC type of router, running as my CLIENT helps in this case ? or, it just the fact that each wireless hop will halves my speed specially I am making it like a 'double hop' here
ISP ~~~Client ____ AP ~~~ my cell. Repeater mode about the same because my Client___AP is hard wired.
Any suggestions are appreciated...Thanks
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

you as a drunk as I am bruh?

you indeed lose 50% speed with a wireless bridge. If you're losing more than that... you've got shitty hardware somewhere in there. Use a seperate SSID for 5Ghz to test if possible...
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to nice4

MVM

to nice4
As Cloneman See Profile indicated wireless is by nature a 1/2duplex medium -- every
host you add (be it a computer, phone or another AP) halves your available bandwidth.
Long story short, you want reliable full speeds, stick to a wired connection.

My 00000010bits

Regards

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Wifi will only run as fast as the slowest device connected, secondly, boosters or Ap repeaters will cut whatever that speed was down by at least 50%.

If the repeater is b/g, it may also be defaulting to b speeds which would account for the 80% loss.