Search similar:

uniqs
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

[Speed] Curiosty question Is 5 Mbps Upload enough.

Would 5 Mbps upload be enough?

Let say all you do, is surf the web, play online gaming, watch videos, upload videos, Netflix, stream on Twitch.TV through PS4, would 5 Mbps upload be enough. And maybe you have 2 other ppl sharing the WiFi with you too.

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL

cHarley

Given your usage, IMO yes. Unless you're frequently uploading large files, like videos or large data files, 5Mb/s is more than fine. I got along pretty well for years on DSL with only .5 (1/2) a Mb up.
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by cHarley:

Given your usage, IMO yes. Unless you're frequently uploading large files, like videos or large data files, 5Mb/s is more than fine. I got along pretty well for years on DSL with only .5 (1/2) a Mb up.

Let say I upload videos in 720p or 1080p or 4K format and they videos are more than 10 minutes long?

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley

said by Madtown:

Let say I upload videos in 720p or 1080p or 4K format and they videos are more than 10 minutes long?

Then it might depend on how frequently you upload that type of file, and whether or not you want it to upload "right now" or can let it upload overnight. BTW, there's a HUGE difference in size between a 720p and 4K, assuming they're not compressed. You really need to talk in "file size" to get more accurate with the estimates.

There's a number of variables, but assuming your 5Mb upstream runs close to fully speed to the receiver site, figure ~.5MB/second including overhead.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

You sure your talking upload? surfing the web has less upload then download..
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

said by NetDog:

said by Madtown:

You sure your talking upload? surfing the web has less upload then download..

Yes. I was talking about the upload.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
if you are uploading, say to a remote user/server, you are fine, if you are attempt to stream, particularly to more than 1 user, they should expect lower quality results.
Is the ten minute mark causing problems for you?
Madtown
Premium Member
93637-2905

Madtown

Premium Member

I was just asking out of curiosty. I might downgrade to Performance 50/5 after my promo with Blast is over. I just want to see if I will notice a difference or not.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck to Madtown

to Madtown
If you're REALLY curious, try to obtain a router or switch that can allow you to limit upload speeds. Once you do, try setting it to 5mbps, and run with that for a while. See how it affects you.

I'd say that with 3 total people using the connection, one of which (you) specifically "uploads videos", 5mbps could get floored fairly easily.

btw, do you mean to say "Performance 50/10"? because i've never heard of a 50/5 tier.

Anno
@98.244.224.x

Anno

Anon

said by train_wreck:

If you're REALLY curious, try to obtain a router or switch that can allow you to limit upload speeds. Once you do, try setting it to 5mbps, and run with that for a while. See how it affects you.

I'd say that with 3 total people using the connection, one of which (you) specifically "uploads videos", 5mbps could get floored fairly easily.

btw, do you mean to say "Performance 50/10"? because i've never heard of a 50/5 tier.

None of the plans are getting upload bumps in the recent speed bumps.

Blast is going to 105/10, extreme 150/20 and performance 50/5. So the OP is correct, performance is 50/5 in the upgraded markets.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck

Ah OK. In my area, those plans are 105/20, 150/20, and 50/10. I'm on business class, and haven't kept up with the specifics of the upgrades since they don't seem to be applying to me.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Madtown

Premium Member

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

I was just asking out of curiosty. I might downgrade to Performance 50/5 after my promo with Blast is over. I just want to see if I will notice a difference or not.

Yep. Your uploads will take twice as long. You will notice it, but only while uploading. So if it used to take 1 minute to upload your videos, it will now take 2.

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to Madtown

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

Yes. I was talking about the upload.

For general surfing, downloading some files and watching 1 Netflix show and some YouTube, my download is 312megs and the upload is 17 megs since midnight. Using Cucusoft Net Guard for measurement. NetWorx reports about the same.

Above is to give an example of what goes down and what goes up.