Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to ainyul

Premium Member

to ainyul

Re: Bell Wireless Fixed Internet

said by ainyul:

thks for the link, surprisingly the max d/l speed available in my area is 5 Mbps...:(

From what I've see the max DL offered anywhere with the fixed wireless is 5Mbps.
bwlandu
join:2010-10-03

bwlandu to JSE

to JSE
The hardware supports voice as there is indeed a voice port (rj11) on the back. No voice offering as part of the bell offering at this time.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to bwlandu

to bwlandu
Any updates from the OP on the install or deal for fixed wireless?

This is a service that not many people have.... hopefully the price keeps dropping for cellular/fixed wireless into the new year.

One thing about the have-not wireline market that Bell is probably realizing is that it is saturated and perhaps a little cutthroat in many ways as compared to wireline.....

Bell and Rogers won't necessarily be able to keep charging the rates and overage charges they do now for ever and ever for the have-nots of wireline connections despite their wishes to to the contrary.

I am seeing Xploernet satellite setups popping up all over the place... despite my dissatisfaction with Xploernet Satellite for my uses (I require low latency), it does work for many.... and Bell/Rogers don't get a cut (which pisses them off to no end!) LOL.

As a side note, passed through Barry's Bay and Maynooth today... some fancy looking fibre lines, and fairly recent work in the middle of nowhere! Areas far outside Bancroft also have alot of nice looking fibre as well!
bwlandu

bwlandu

Still waiting for install to call me back. Holidays apparently keeping them too busy to schedule the install. I'm still rigged up in the house for now. Called Bell to express my dissatisfaction with the install company and they graciously cut my invoice in half.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by bwlandu:

Still waiting for install to call me back. Holidays apparently keeping them too busy to schedule the install. I'm still rigged up in the house for now. Called Bell to express my dissatisfaction with the install company and they graciously cut my invoice in half.

Ahh, good to hear they are giving you a discount....

At this pace... and the simplicity of it... almost best to choose a self install! LOL I don't know if they offer that option though?

I do see this sort of thing being viable for certain people... seniors and others who might not be capable of installing an external antenna on a mobile hub.

FarmerG
@184.151.37.x

FarmerG

Anon

I'm curious how the original poster found the promotional offer. I'm in the Alliston Area, the service seems to be available, but I don't want to pay $65 for 10gb.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by FarmerG :

I'm curious how the original poster found the promotional offer. I'm in the Alliston Area, the service seems to be available, but I don't want to pay $65 for 10gb.

I agree, I haven't been able to find this on the Bell website.....

I don't know how far I am off for a wireline upgrade either, so I am cautious in getting into long term contract deals. But I do want the extra bandwidth!!
FarmerG
join:2015-01-02

FarmerG

I hope the original poster replies where the found the promotion.
FarmerG

FarmerG to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
said by jumpingryan:

said by FarmerG :

I agree, I haven't been able to find this on the Bell website.....

I don't know how far I am off for a wireline upgrade either, so I am cautious in getting into long term contract deals. But I do want the extra bandwidth!!

I used a link earlier to find the product. But it doesn't show the promotion that was posted here.
»www.bell.ca/Bell_Interne ··· Internet
FarmerG

FarmerG to bwlandu

to bwlandu
I called 1 866 222-9223 and asked if they had any promotions for the Fixed internet. I was offered the promotion posted by the original poster. My concern is the cost of going over the 30gb a month. We are a family of 5.
bwlandu

bwlandu

Yes, I just called into 310-Bell and spoke to a sales rep on the wireless side who offered me the info and deal. I hadn't heard of the product offering before I called.

Although not fully installed, I'm very happy with the performance and price point. I plan on ordering a second service if they will give it to me for $30
FarmerG
join:2015-01-02

FarmerG

Let use know if they let you order a second service at $30. I'm concerned about the overage.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by FarmerG:

Let use know if they let you order a second service at $30. I'm concerned about the overage.

I agree totally on the overages and a family of 5....... but two or even 3 Fixed Wireless setups would go a long way.

I am considering switching over to fixed wireless myself.

Bell is doing alot of expansion, so be cautious of the contract they offer you as well.... you might be closer to a fibre upgrade than you think.

I recently drove through Bancroft, Maynooth to Barry's Bay. You would be shocked at the amount of fibre I have seen strung up along back highways.

I am stuck in the same boat, no other suitable options other than Bell Turbo Hub, and Xploernet Sat.

The kicker for me, is Fibre to the pole is less than 2 KM from me in 3 directions.... a real bummer for me.
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to ainyul

to ainyul
said by ainyul:

thks for the link, surprisingly the max d/l speed available in my area is 5 Mbps...:(

I wonder if this fixed fireless setup to use their old 3G, or 4G, rather than LTE?

No matter, I am about 2 to 4 Mbps with my "LTE" Turbo hub.

They used to charge more for "speed boost", but in reality, I think they realized it was far better to allow as much speed as they can... allows customers to hit their cap faster.... then overages can kick in.

Farmer G
@174.88.1.x

Farmer G to JSE

Anon

to JSE
Just ordered one at the promotional price. Hoping it comes soon so we can try it out. Wondering how the original poster is making out.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to bwlandu

to bwlandu
Got two questions for the OP on his fixed wireless service:

1) What is the overage rate per GB once you go above 30 gigs?

2) Is there a sim card for it? Is it possible to order and swap out sim cards (have two or more sim cards... i.e. two or more plans) under once device?

In areas with good cell coverage, this sort of thing could take on Xplornet Satellite in terms of bandwidth offerings if they price it right.
bwlandu

bwlandu to Farmer G

to Farmer G
said by Farmer G :

Wondering how the original poster is making out

Waiting for install still Someone called Friday from Crossover Distribution only to tell me that someone else would call me early this week to schedule the install. No call yet. Still 'rigged' up with a DIY inside install
bwlandu

bwlandu to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
said by jumpingryan:

It was either $4 or $5/Gb overage. Not listed on my contract unfortunately.
said by jumpingryan:

2) Is there a sim card for it?

SIM is installed in the antenna that will likely be installed on my antenna mast outside. This coupled with the fact you must take 6 screws off a cover to gain access to the POE port and SIM card would make it difficult to simply swap SIM's. I'm guessing I would need a second set of hardware, or if Bell was smart they would just invoice me $60 for 60Gb and save themselves the cost of hardware and installation services.
bwlandu

bwlandu

Offer Ends Today January 7th!

Call to order my second service. The promo ($30/30Gb + free install) ends today. Best call now if you're interested in this.

Also, can't just get a 2nd SIM or have them bill you for $60/60Gb. Second set of hardware is required unfortunately
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by bwlandu:

Call to order my second service. The promo ($30/30Gb + free install) ends today. Best call now if you're interested in this.

Also, can't just get a 2nd SIM or have them bill you for $60/60Gb. Second set of hardware is required unfortunately

Thanks for the tip. Will have a few hours to think about it... but I am temped!
bwlandu

bwlandu to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan

Re: Bell Wireless Fixed Internet

said by jumpingryan:

Confirmed with Bell, it's $5/Gb overage
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to bwlandu

to bwlandu
said by bwlandu:

It was either $4 or $5/Gb overage. Not listed on my contract unfortunately.

Hmmm, that is always good or bad.... but I just got your update. Still $5 is a big improvement from $10.

I am worried about upgrading from no contract Turbo Hubs... to entering a contract. What is your contract length?
said by bwlandu:

SIM is installed in the antenna that will likely be installed on my antenna mast outside. This coupled with the fact you must take 6 screws off a cover to gain access to the POE port and SIM card would make it difficult to simply swap SIM's. I'm guessing I would need a second set of hardware, or if Bell was smart they would just invoice me $60 for 60Gb and save themselves the cost of hardware and installation services.

This inflexibility just drives me bananas. I would order 4 plans of service, or maybe even 5.... give me a healthy bandwidth with decent speed and latency... and still save money.... instead I have to get 5 antennas mounted on my roof?? WTF.

Swapping sim cards is a pain even with an easily accessible hub. I am using pill boxes for sim swapping like a drug dealing practicing op-sec.

Bell has a real opportunity with these rates to take on Xplornet... if they would just get the plans and flexibility right.

Right now for those who don't need latency, and can work with Xplornet's quality issues on both satellite, and wireless... Xplornet still offers a slightly better deal. If Bell would just allow all of us to pay $120... for say 120 gigs... one sim card... no ass-pain... they would win this hands down.

Turbo hubs offer the best quality in most cases, compared to Xplornet wireless and sat.... Bell has the technology... just start being flexible in the business plan. If I don't use 120 gigs in the month.... I think Bell wins because I still pay.

Anyways.....
bwlandu

1 edit

bwlandu

Also, confirming that the service is "up to 25Mbs". No cap until then, of course it will depend on how close i am to the tower (2km), how many other users are connected, etc, etc.

This is inline with previous speed tests i've completed that have shown 11-12Mbps down.
bwlandu

bwlandu to jumpingryan

to jumpingryan
said by jumpingryan:

I am worried about upgrading from no contract Turbo Hubs... to entering a contract. What is your contract length?

24 months

Here's my cost to cancel prior to 24 months. Device was $299 with no upfront cost to me. Install was $99 but with promo is free.

Your Remaining Device Balance: $287.45
Monthly Reduction of Device Balance: $12.50
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by bwlandu:

24 months

Here's my cost to cancel prior to 24 months. Device was $299 with no upfront cost to me. Install was $99 but with promo is free.

Your Remaining Device Balance: $287.45
Monthly Reduction of Device Balance: $12.50

I am just on hold right now, I am probably going to order one today. It says Pembroke is available as part of the install.

In reality, based on the wait time you mentioned... I will probably just self install it if they ship it to you! Some of those installers are real butchers anyways! LOL

So I pay out the device balance if fibre comes up my street, and the balance goes down by $12.50 monthly? Sounds pretty good to me. So does 30 extra gigs for $30.
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to bwlandu

to bwlandu
I find it interesting.... when I click on the webpage for fixed wireless "features" from this page:

»www.bell.ca/Bell_Interne ··· Internet

It takes you to this page:

»www.bell.ca/Bell_Interne ··· ge-plans

While likely a pipe dream.... who wouldn't go for unlimited fixed wireless internet?
bwlandu

bwlandu

Interesting indeed.
I just logged into my bell account, into my fixed service, and tried to add features. This is the message i get:

No available features

There are currently no features that are compatible with your device and rate plan.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to jumpingryan

Premium Member

to jumpingryan
said by jumpingryan:

This inflexibility just drives me bananas. I would order 4 plans of service, or maybe even 5.... give me a healthy bandwidth with decent speed and latency... and still save money.... instead I have to get 5 antennas mounted on my roof?? WTF.

In reality you would probably only need the one antenna, the router is likely the one that has the login info in it so you would only have to switch the router when you hit the cap on each.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by JC_:

In reality you would probably only need the one antenna, the router is likely the one that has the login info in it so you would only have to switch the router when you hit the cap on each.

LOL. The OP said the sim was likely sealed in the antenna, but I am also gonna accept you explanation.... either way more ass-pain for a less seamless install.

I just want to pay, without having many sim cards and hardware..... saving everyone time and money, and billing usage. Oh well.

No matter, it would look like I would need a FAR bigger pill case than my current sim card holder setup! More like a pill suitcase. hahahahaha

----------

Just an update on my situation, despite what it says on the previously posted link (Pembroke is available on the webpage), I just finished my call with Bell Mobility... unfortunately it isn't available in Pembroke. (I was going to order two, and eventually downgrade to one or two LTE turbo hubs with sims).

Right now I have 3 Turbo hubs sim cards over two hubs, and it appears that my only hope is that they will jack the caps and/or lower the prices.... however I am far more hopeful for a fibre upgrade this summer or the next! LOL

To the OP, thanks for the updates, and keep them coming on newer offerings. Sounds like you got a great deal.

To Bell: In lieu of wired upgrades, you are on the right track with this despite it not being available to me.

Follow my suggestions in my previous post about linking multiple plans, and I think you can knock Xplornet down more than a few pegs. Xplornet dominates in Satellite (for those with truly no hope), and in getting a good bandwidth cap wirelessly when available..... but Bell offers good service with ultra low and expensive caps... it's far easier to change the price to win this for Bell.
guppy
join:2014-04-16

guppy

I contacted Bell higher ups and suggested exactly what you suggest. Raise the cap for the Turbo Hub for rural customers (those that cannot get wired internet) to something reasonable for a family (60-80GB) and they could steal many customers from Xplornet.

This is the response I got...

"I do understand your frustration with the options you currently have available to you for internet access. The cost of providing "bandwidth" via wireless tower technology is significantly different from how this same bandwidth is consumed on a wired network, hence the difference in pricing."

To be clear, I was not asking for wired internet prices for wireless internet customers, but I did suggest there is a very large gap between wired/wireless internet offerings. I was asking if they could provide higher caps for rural customers who could not get wired internet. I was hoping they would see it as a win-win solution, they steal customers from Xplornet, we get better/cheaper internet.