All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hdp2030
join:2005-03-15
South Richmond Hill, NY

hdp2030

Do I need a FIOS router if I don't use VZ Set Top Box for TV?

Hi All,

If I get a triple play package from VZ, and don't use their set top boxes, do I even need a FIOS ActionTec router? I will only rent a cablecard for TV. I read somewhere in this forum that you can plug the router directly into the ONT using the ethernet cable.

Thanks.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

No router needed as it is used to provide guide data and VOD for Verizon STB.
hdp2030
South Richmond Hill, NY

hdp2030

Thank you for the info.

Do VZ let me order the triple play without getting the router? I mean I can select the option that I have my own ActionTec router. But when the tech come and doesn't see a VZ approved router, will he do the installation?

Thanks.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy

Probably, though if there's any sort of problem with your router they won't do any troubleshooting.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to hdp2030

to hdp2030
Hi, I am pretty certain you must have a Verizon router to get the triple play installed, as the standard install is via coax not ethernet for internet under the 150/150. For internet 75/75 and below any of the older Actiontec routers will work but the Rev. E through Rev I have MoCA 1.1 and you can buy one from Ebay or where ever. There are guides for using your own router with the Actiontec here, but to use your own without any actiontec at all in the future you have to have ethernet run from the ONT, which I believe is your responsibility. It is a good idea to have an Actiontec handy as Verizon will not troubleshoot any problems without it.
PS, You might be able to get an older Actiontec from the FIOS accessory store for just shipping, see the top item Free upgrade to WPA2. »teleproducts.verizon.com ··· Products
hdp2030
South Richmond Hill, NY

1 edit

hdp2030

said by fcfc2:

Hi, I am pretty certain you must have a Verizon router to get the triple play installed, as the standard install is via coax not ethernet for internet under the 150/150. For internet 75/75 and below any of the older Actiontec routers will work but the Rev. E through Rev I have MoCA 1.1 and you can buy one from Ebay or where ever. There are guides for using your own router with the Actiontec here, but to use your own without any actiontec at all in the future you have to have ethernet run from the ONT, which I believe is your responsibility. It is a good idea to have an Actiontec handy as Verizon will not troubleshoot any problems without it.
PS, You might be able to get an older Actiontec from the FIOS accessory store for just shipping, see the top item Free upgrade to WPA2. »teleproducts.verizon.com ··· Products

Do I need to be already a VZ customer to buy this? I haven't signed up yet.
Also, do you know the Rev of the router?

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by hdp2030:

They might balk if you are not a V* customer as these routers are earmarked for customers who have older routers, not cable of WPA2. Having said that, I'm not sure how diligent they are about checking who's ordered what.

Early on in the upgrade program, they were shipping Rev. I routers (I got one to replace my C). However, I think that they may be shipping Fs or Gs now.

Also, I think they now REQUIRE that you have a V* router to get service (whether you need one for your STB or not). You either need to buy one or rent one (at ~$10/mo. now!).

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to hdp2030

Premium Member

to hdp2030
New customers have to pay for router rental fee ( or provided an acceptable Verizon model ) and a STB, once service is established you can return the STB
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2 to hdp2030

to hdp2030
said by hdp2030:

I am not sure about being a Verizon customer or not but you can find out in about 3-4 minutes by trying the link. As far as the Rev of the router, it can be anything from an E through I, it seems a bit random, but you have absolutely nothing to lose by trying. Or you can buy a new router directly from Verizon, I would do that before paying $10 a month. The new G1100 is going for $100 right now, if you sign up, and include paying for it, I think they will even split up that amount over a couple of months for the purchase.
hdp2030
South Richmond Hill, NY

hdp2030

It seems to let me order the router without checking anything, but I am not sure if they will ship it. I am going to sign up for FIOS next week so I don't want to take a chance. I want to have the router here ready before the tech comes. If I can not get a cheap Rev I router on ebay, I think I would just buy the G1100 from Verizon.
hdp2030

hdp2030

I went ahead and bought a Rev I on ebay. I am planning to swap the router and use my own router after the installation. I can keep the Actiontec for backup just in case I need to trobleshoot any issues with Verizon.

Can I request the installer to use the ethernet port on the ONT instead of the coax port? or is it based on the package that I have?
Thank you.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

If you're getting a tier over 100Mbps, an ethernet connection to the ONT is required.

If you're getting a tier under 100Mbps, coax is the preferred installation. You can request an ethernet install, but that is at the discretion of the installer. If it creates more mork for him, the installer can refuse an ethernet install.
hdp2030
South Richmond Hill, NY

hdp2030

So for the installation, there would be two coax cables and a phone cable (coax installation) or a cat5e, a coax, and a phone cable (ethernet installation) from the ONT to the inside of my house? Thanks.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by hdp2030:

So for the installation, there would be two coax cables and a phone cable (coax installation) or a cat5e, a coax, and a phone cable (ethernet installation) from the ONT to the inside of my house? Thanks.

If you get Internet over coax you will only have a single coax cable from the ONT that carries both Internet and TV. The telephone connection will be a phone cable from your current, common phone line connection point to the phone terminals in the ONT.

If you get Internet over Ethernet, you'll have Cat5e, coax and a phone line connection to the ONT.

In either Internet delivery case, the router provides the Ethernet to coax (MoCA) bridge.
hdp2030
South Richmond Hill, NY

hdp2030

said by Rattler:

If you get Internet over coax you will only have a single coax cable from the ONT that carries both Internet and TV.

So for coax installation, only a single coax going from the ONT to inside the house, then get split up (to router, and multiple TV boxes)?

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by hdp2030:

said by Rattler:

If you get Internet over coax you will only have a single coax cable from the ONT that carries both Internet and TV.

So for coax installation, only a single coax going from the ONT to inside the house, then get split up (to router, and multiple TV boxes)?

Yes, the coax line from the ONT goes to a splitter, or multiple splitters, depending on distribution inside the building. One line goes to the router, others go to STBs or other possible coax fed devices. That would be the same for an Ethernet installation as well, except there would be a coax AND an Ethernet WAN connection to the router. The router still needs a coax connection to handle the MoCA side of the STB requirements for IP operations.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to hdp2030

to hdp2030
I'd be psyched if they altered the architecture enough so that we can use our own wireless router instead of the ActionTec, have VOD & guide data, and no double-NAT scenario.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

There are configurations (i.e. LAN-to-LAN) that do not require double NAT.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

pro150fd
@150.142.232.x

pro150fd to hdp2030

Anon

to hdp2030
The ONT has three interfaces: (1) Ethernet (1) COAX (1) RJ-11 Phone

Ask (personally I would insist) the installer to use the Ethernet connection to your router. If he objects, it is likely he just doesn't want to run the cable. It is easier for him to use the existing COAX instead.

If you want to replace Verizon's router you will need an Ethernet connection to the ONT.

There is one COAX wire from the ONT, which will be split as many times as necessary to (1) connect to Verizon's router and (2) to as many DVR's & STB's you rent from Verizon.

If you're planning to use CableCARDs you won't need to set up Verizon's router to provide MoCA IP services (e.g. VOD) but I would have the installer do this anyway to give you that option if you change your mind later. Just make sure he also uses the Ethernet connection from the ONT to the router for Internet access.

There is one RJ-11 copper phone interface, which will connect to where the RJ-11 phone block terminates in your home and is used to provide traditional land-line phone service if desired.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
Marshfield, MA

amarryat to More Fiber

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

There are configurations (i.e. LAN-to-LAN) that do not require double NAT.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

I'd like an easy solution. Where the coax cable in my office could plug into the ActionTec (like a cable modem), and I could install my router and bridge it to the internet.

pro150fd
@150.142.232.x

pro150fd

Anon

I just did this during the past weekend. What you want to do is have Verizon set up their router first with an Ethernet connection to the ONT for Internet service and a COAX connection to the router for MoCA IP service.

Once Verizon's router is installed you can replace Verizon's router with your own router (I replaced an Actiontec Rev. C router with a Linksys WRT1900AC) and create a MoCA bridge on Verizon's router to provide only Program Guide, Video on Demand, etc., service.

My routers are LAN connected from a switch port on the Linksys to a switch port on the Actiontec.

The Actiontec router does nothing other than provide a MoCA IP bridge for the DVR & STB.

The (radio) Access Point, DHCP and WAN interface are disabled on the Actiontec router and the Linksys WRT1900AC provides Internet service to all wired/wireless in-home devices.

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
Marshfield, MA

amarryat

said by pro150fd :

I just did this during the past weekend. What you want to do is have Verizon set up their router first with an Ethernet connection to the ONT for Internet service and a COAX connection to the router for MoCA IP service.

Once Verizon's router is installed you can replace Verizon's router with your own router (I replaced an Actiontec Rev. C router with a Linksys WRT1900AC) and create a MoCA bridge on Verizon's router to provide only Program Guide, Video on Demand, etc., service.

My routers are LAN connected from a switch port on the Linksys to a switch port on the Actiontec.

The Actiontec router does nothing other than provide a MoCA IP bridge for the DVR & STB.

The (radio) Access Point, DHCP and WAN interface are disabled on the Actiontec router and the Linksys WRT1900AC provides Internet service to all wired/wireless in-home devices.

I don't have ethernet wired in the house, and my ONT is in the basement. I have several devices in my office that are networked with a switch, and wouldn't want to move all of that equipment into the basement.

pro150fd
@150.142.232.x

pro150fd

Anon

My house wasn't wired for Ethernet either and my ONT is also in the basement and the routers are located in a 2nd floor home office.
I had the Verizon installer run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the 2nd floor. e should do this for you as a part of a new service install.
Expand your moderator at work
hdp2030
South Richmond Hill, NY

2 edits

hdp2030

Re: Do I need a FIOS router if I don't use VZ Set Top Box for TV?

Thanks guys for your suggestions and explanations.
What would you guys say to convince the installer if he refuses to do enthernet installation?

Also, do you know if I need a tunning adapter to go with the cablecard? My zupcode is 11419.

Thanks.
Betamax76
join:2008-10-16
Canonsburg, PA

Betamax76

said by hdp2030:

What would you guys say to convince the installer if he refuses to do enthernet installation?

Also, do you know if I need a tunning adapter to go with the cablecard? My zupcode is 11419.

"Greasing of the palm" goes a long way in getting extra work done.

Tuning adapters are not necessary with FiOS; they are only needed for cable TV subscribers whose systems use Switched Digital Video (SDV) in order to maximize bandwidth.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to pro150fd

Premium Member

to pro150fd
said by pro150fd :

My house wasn't wired for Ethernet either and my ONT is also in the basement and the routers are located in a 2nd floor home office.
I had the Verizon installer run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the 2nd floor. e should do this for you as a part of a new service install.

Running cat5 to the router is at the discretion of the installer in sub 100M installs. IF you insist he will charge you. Rates vary by area.
If you want it run. run it yourself before hand. Just run the CAT5 the tech will most likely put the ends on for you and provision the connection ethernet.
hdp2030
South Richmond Hill, NY

hdp2030 to Betamax76

to Betamax76
Thank you.
My house is already wired for Ethernet and coax.
All the installer has to do is to run a coax and an Ethernet from the ONT to the main router location (about 20' from the ONT). I hope he is not insisting on a coax installation for the internet.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler to Betamax76

to Betamax76
said by Betamax76:

"Greasing of the palm" goes a long way in getting extra work done.

If the installer is on the up and up, they will refuse a "gratuity". When he did my installation, I offered him something because he did all that I asked (and then some) - this was after he finished - he said he could lose his job if caught, so he declined. He did accept a couple cups of coffee since he had a decent amount of outside prep work, in a cold February.

I'd pre-wired Ethernet and coax to where I wanted the router (1 floor away from the ONT) and provided access jacks about 10' from the ONT location. He was very appreciative since it made his work much easier.
hdp2030
South Richmond Hill, NY

1 edit

hdp2030 to pro150fd

to pro150fd
Hi,
Can you please tell me how big the power supply for the ONT is? Are the prongs attached to the power supply directly or thru an electrical cable?
Thanks.

Edit: Never mind. I found the information. Thanks.