spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

Texas of the North: Calgary mayor on gay kids & hillbillies

I found this sentiment from Calgary's mayor refreshing, acknowledging Alberta has bigger fish to fry than gay kids:
»news.nationalpost.com/20 ··· -nenshi/
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805

Shows how far Alberta has come.

That being said i think Nenshi is an arrogant @$$ who can't admit when he is wrong, and the "true" calgarians (aka those that haven't been transplanted there in the last decade as managers, execs, etc. From Toronto or California due to their most recent oil boom) are extremely disillusioned with his policies.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by btech805:

Shows how far Alberta has come.

That being said i think Nenshi is an arrogant @$$ who can't admit when he is wrong, and the "true" calgarians (aka those that haven't been transplanted there in the last decade as managers, execs, etc. From Toronto or California due to their most recent oil boom) are extremely disillusioned with his policies.

Shows how far Alberta almost went. Fortunately his point was well made and the Premier backed down on the proposed legislation.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 recommendation

Riamen to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
The article doesn't explain everything. The current situation allows the formation of Gay-Straight Alliances with the permission of the school principal. GSAs already exist in a number of schools in the province.

A Liberal bill proposed making it so schools and school boards could not deny the creation of GSAs if the students wanted.

The PC bill is somewhere in the middle, the school and school board could deny the creation of GSAs but the students could appeal the decision.

Personally I don't know why we're having this debate. Nenshi is right.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to bbbc

to bbbc
So the mayor came right out into open bigotry huh? Anyone waiting for the story on that since it's new worthy.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

said by Mashiki:

So the mayor came right out into open bigotry huh? Anyone waiting for the story on that since it's new worthy.

Uh, what?

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

The article doesn't explain everything. The current situation allows the formation of Gay-Straight Alliances with the permission of the school principal. GSAs already exist in a number of schools in the province.

Yea, I'm not sure if I understood this topic or the alleged bigotry...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
As I recall the Premiere killed the bill admitting its flaws before Nenshi made his comments, as far as I am concerned Nenshi is rather late to the party, he should have brought up the issue when the bill was first announced, not after it was killed.

Verteidiger
@217.114.211.x

Verteidiger to Riamen

Anon

to Riamen
Both bills are unneeded. Bill 10 just takes power away from local school boards where it belongs. And Bill 202 is just trying to push a liberal agenda that is always trying to provide minorities with special rights that go above and beyond the rights all citizens already have. Both bills should die and there should be a pox on all politicians that kowtow to special interests.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Heh, looks like Nenshi was right after all.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
Click for full size
Thought I would add this picture. The man on the right is Larry Heather, a fixture downtown known for his bizarre protest signs. He even has a Wikipedia page.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I like how the wikipedia article describes him as a 'failed' political candidate. Looks to me like he's a failure in more ways than one.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 recommendation

bt to Verteidiger

to Verteidiger
said by Verteidiger :

And Bill 202 is just trying to push a liberal agenda that is always trying to provide minorities with special rights that go above and beyond the rights all citizens already have.

Yep, those darned minorities and their desire to assemble as a group.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

Snickering with that posted pic. "PROMOTES GSA ANAL CLUBS"

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
Lesbian
Gay
bisexual
transsexual
queer
intersex
asexual
+ (...but wait there is more!)
Have they left anyone out or will more letters be tacked on in the future?

And when did Nenshi stand on the koran and swear, what jihad did he swear?
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

EdmundGerber to Riamen

to Riamen
said by Riamen:

Thought I would add this picture. The man on the right is Larry Heather, a fixture downtown known for his bizarre protest signs. He even has a Wikipedia page.

I'm surprised he's allowed in front of a school like that.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by EdmundGerber:

I'm surprised he's allowed in front of a school like that.

Looks like school board offices, not a school itself.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Lesbian
Gay
bisexual
transsexual
queer
intersex
asexual

Yeah lol i was just about to post that... I didn't know there were so many... Maybe add another I for incest lol.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

3 recommendations

DKS

said by HiVolt:

said by Thane_Bitter:

Lesbian
Gay
bisexual
transsexual
queer
intersex
asexual

Yeah lol i was just about to post that... I didn't know there were so many... Maybe add another I for incest lol.

Please don't be gross or condone an illegal act.

The usual order is:

Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transsexual
Queer
Questioning
Two Spirited
Intersex
Asexual

The last two are less common. The generally accepted abbreviation is LGBTQ.
Relic (banned)
join:2003-09-29

Relic (banned) to bbbc

to bbbc
This is much ado about nothing.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

5 recommendations

DKS

said by Relic:

Tell that to a teenager who is being bullied for their sexual orientation.
Relic (banned)

Relic (banned)

said by DKS:

said by Relic:

Which happens everywhere.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

2 recommendations

DKS

said by Relic:

said by DKS:

said by Relic:

Which happens everywhere.

And should not happen anywhere, including schools. GSA's help stop it in schools.
Relic (banned)

Relic (banned)

said by DKS:

And should not happen anywhere, including schools. GSA's help stop it in schools.

No they don't.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

2 recommendations

DKS

said by Relic:

said by DKS:

No they don't.

Evidence?
quote:
This study, based on a survey of 41 educators working with GSAs, suggests that policy changes in Ontario have had a positive impact on school climate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) students and that GSAs contribute to the development of safer and more inclusive schools.
»www.umanitoba.ca/publica ··· lini.pdf
quote:
Canadian schools with explicit anti-homophobia interventions such as gay-straight alliances (GSAs) may reduce the odds of suicidal thoughts and attempts among both sexual minority and straight students, according to a new study by University of British Columbia researchers
»news.ubc.ca/2014/01/20/g ··· tudents/

bbbc
NorthAmerica

1 recommendation

bbbc to Relic

to Relic
said by Katzendreck :

No they don't.

Man, your replies are fairly in-depth. You really don't know what the eff you are talking about.
bbbc

4 recommendations

bbbc to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt :

Maybe add another I for incest lol.

Cool, more innuendo between homosexuality and pedophilia.
Relic (banned)

Relic (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Relic:

said by DKS:

No they don't.

Evidence?
quote:
This study, based on a survey of 41 educators working with GSAs, suggests that policy changes in Ontario have had a positive impact on school climate for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) students and that GSAs contribute to the development of safer and more inclusive schools.
»www.umanitoba.ca/publica ··· lini.pdf
quote:
Canadian schools with explicit anti-homophobia interventions such as gay-straight alliances (GSAs) may reduce the odds of suicidal thoughts and attempts among both sexual minority and straight students, according to a new study by University of British Columbia researchers
»news.ubc.ca/2014/01/20/g ··· tudents/

Congrats to Manitoba, BC, and Ontario. Means nothing here. And sorry, I'm not impressed by one's ability to spend 30 seconds on Google then cut and paste the work of someone else.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's certainly more than you've contributed to this discussion.

And are you admitting that Nenshi was entirely right about Alberta?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS to Relic

to Relic
said by Relic:

Congrats to Manitoba, BC, and Ontario. Means nothing here. And sorry, I'm not impressed by one's ability to spend 30 seconds on Google then cut and paste the work of someone else.

It should mean everything. These are academic studies, peer reviewed, which suggest that GSA's make a significant and positive difference in both reduction in bullying and reduction in suicide among young people in schools. If you have evidence otherwise, produce it. If not, then I suggest you quit the ad homenim comments.