uniqs
Relic (banned)
join:2003-09-29

Relic (banned) to DKS

to DKS

Re: Texas of the North: Calgary mayor on gay kids & hillbillies

said by DKS:

said by Relic:

Congrats to Manitoba, BC, and Ontario. Means nothing here. And sorry, I'm not impressed by one's ability to spend 30 seconds on Google then cut and paste the work of someone else.

It should mean everything. These are academic studies, peer reviewed, which suggest that GSA's make a significant and positive difference in both reduction in bullying and reduction in suicide among young people in schools. If you have evidence otherwise, produce it. If not, then I suggest you quit the ad homenim comments.

Those aren't your studies, I'd rather debate with the person who actually wrote those than a lazy Googler who's wisdom and contributions are cut and paste. And please quit calling this ad hominem. It's a crappy argument, start to finish. GSA's are worthless, they don't stop bullying, nor do they stop people who think there's something wrong with being gay. Political proselytising shouldn't be in public schools.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

3 recommendations

bt

said by Relic:

Those aren't your studies, I'd rather debate with the person who actually wrote those than a lazy Googler who's wisdom and contributions are cut and paste. And please quit calling this ad hominem. It's a crappy argument, start to finish. GSA's are worthless, they don't stop bullying, nor do they stop people who think there's something wrong with being gay. Political proselytising shouldn't be in public schools.

So, to translate, "I don't have a counter-argument, so I'm going to double down and just keep repeating my opinion in the hopes that people won't notice that I have no evidence to support it."

Sorry, but repetition does not turn uninformed opinions in to fact.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

2 edits

3 recommendations

Riamen to Relic

Premium Member

to Relic
said by Relic:

You know it seems to me that if you want to enter into this discussion that you'd at least try to explain your position. I'd be interested in hearing why you believe GSAs don't work in Alberta or how it's political proselytizing.

DKS See Profile at least took some time to dig up some evidence. You've done no such thing, yet you call him lazy. It's comical.

On a personal note, I may not know what it's like to grow up gay but I do know what it's like to grow up being bullied. I went to rural school in Ontario and was mercilessly bullied and teased for no other reason than I was not white. I know what it does to a child and how it affects their sense of self-worth. It's something that still haunts me to this day. Anything that helps reduce bullying and promote self-worth is a good thing in my book.

I've now lived in Alberta for 35 years and have found it to be a very welcoming place which is why I have a hard time understanding the opposition behind this.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to Relic

Premium Member

to Relic
said by Relic:

GSA's are worthless, they don't stop bullying, nor do they stop people who think there's something wrong with being gay. Political proselytising shouldn't be in public schools.

And yet here you are, providing no empirical evidence to support your claims. The hypocrisy of your statement about refusing to debating anyone but the originating author of those studies is laughable.

Ergo - they're bogus opinions based on rather than fact. Nice attempt at a crutch, but it's not going to work.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS to Relic

to Relic
said by Relic:

If you believe that GSA'a are political proselytizing, give evidence. Offer proof. Make your argument. Not your opinion, your argument and back it up with evidence. Academic papers with solid research science behind them. Peer reviewed, to boot.

I thought so.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

3 recommendations

PX Eliezer1 to Relic

Premium Member

to Relic
said by Relic:

Congrats to Manitoba, BC, and Ontario. Means nothing here.

Why would experiences from Manitoba, BC, and Ontario "mean nothing" in Alberta?

Has Alberta now become the 2nd province to declare itself a "distinct society"?