spc
Search similar:

uniqs

seattledisco
@172.56.33.x

seattledisco

Anon

[FiOS] outage widespread

Widespread outage in the Seattle region. Fios support not staffed to support calls so some calls will be dumped in indefinite hold. No ETR since Frontier does not know issue.

Home routers will not light up COAX link which is telling us it is pretty bad.
mj_sab
join:2010-06-10
Bothell, WA

mj_sab

Any updates from anyone? I spent an hour on hold last night, and the resolution was to send out a Tech on Monday to replace the ONT. But, it doesn't sound as if this is the issue. We've been down in Bothell, WA now for over 24 hours.
EdmondsFios
join:2010-09-02
Edmonds, WA

EdmondsFios

Edmonds: We lost our electricity during the wind storm and there are a lot of trees down. Perhaps the cable has been snapped by a falling limb or tree. Does the outage affect your neighbors? If it does, I would report it to Frontier.

paid4service
@172.56.33.x

paid4service

Anon

Mill creek area outage. Rep says they will get parts Monday and hope to fix by end of week. Major equipment failure. If your coax light isnt lit, there is possible local issue. If blinking, it is possible distribution issue.
mj_sab
Bothell, WA

mj_sab

Thanks for the replies. First time, I've cracked open the ONT -- I don't have anything lit (including power) so maybe the ONT is dead?

seattledisco
@208.95.100.x

seattledisco

Anon

said by mj_sab:

Thanks for the replies. First time, I've cracked open the ONT -- I don't have anything lit (including power) so maybe the ONT is dead?

If you check the power supply of the ONT, it may be lit. It's usually connected to a UPS (Power supply -> UPS -> ONT). If Power supply fails, it will be on "aux power" and that light will be lit if battery is still good.

ONT is pretty basic: basic power and light. If your ONT power supply shows lit, it's most likely on the far end since ONTs rarely fails. I have been working in the industry and have probably seen 10 ONT failures in tens of thousands. Since the entire area of my neighborhood (which includes several Comcast repairmen who live nearby) we see that there's no far end connectivity so a distribution is down.

Given the flickering lights, multiple surges, the distribution probably got hit and that's why Frontier was waiting for parts to come in on Monday.
mj_sab
Bothell, WA

mj_sab

To close the loop for me -- my ONT was fried. Tech replaced this afternoon, and I'm now back up. Thanks again for the replies.