spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

[Connectivity] IP address has changed.

It seems comcast has changed my IP address and now the internet thinks i am in Savannah Georgia.. WTF i am near Detroit Michigan. What can be done to correct this or will it correct itself ?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Give it some time.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Jim721

Premium Member

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

What can be done to correct this or will it correct itself ?

I'm sorry, you will have to move.

luckly the DB that last saw your IP at each of these places will eventually catch up to you, IF todays IP is sticky, IP's sometimes migrate as part of major maintaince or upgrades.
You may never return to the old IP, but you could be in the same range (2-3-plus octets).

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Comcast has been doing all kinds of things here lately. All downstream frequencies have changed, my downstream signals vary 5 dbmv sometimes in a matter of minutes and now this IP change. Now all my tablets and roku boxes dont know were i am located so they pick crappy servers. This is ridiculous. I hope there systems correct this soon.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

1 recommendation

NetDog

Premium Member

said by Jim721:

What can be done to correct this or will it correct itself ?

This will correct itself or you can goto the GeoIP tagging sites and correct it yourself
said by Jim721:

Comcast has been doing all kinds of things here lately. All downstream frequencies have changed, my downstream signals vary 5 dbmv sometimes in a matter of minutes and now this IP change.

If I took a guess I would say you had a node move to a new CMTS..
said by Jim721:

I hope there systems correct this soon.

This is NOT a Comcast issue but a GeoIP Tagging issue, Comcast doesn't control the GeoIP Tagging systems..

You can look here: »support.speedtest.net/en ··· ocation-

Or here: »www.maxmind.com/en/correction

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Thanks Chris, But if comcast is not responsible then will this get corrected ? And how the hell did this happen in the first place ? Never had my IP change unless i switched routers and then it was always correct for location.

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by Jim721:

Thanks Chris, But if comcast is not responsible then will this get corrected ?

GeoIP Tagging services pick up your IP and location from sites that store this information, but I am not 100% sure.. I did have this conversation with our IP people and that was the answer..
said by Jim721:

And how the hell did this happen in the first place ?

If I took a guess I would say a node move, or an IP change..

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721

I filled out the form from this the site you posted to get it fixed. We shall see. Thanks !!

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck to Jim721

to Jim721
you know one thing i've noticed, many times after an IP change it thinks i'm in Wichita, Kansas. Always Wichita. i always figured that since Wichita is about smack dab in the middle of the country, that it is a sort of "catch all" spot that Geo tagging services use when they don't have a clue about your location/address.

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721

I never thought just a simple IP change would cause issues like it has. I really hope submitting that form will get the location corrected. According to the site i will know by Tuesday. Tired of my roku boxes thinking i am in Georgia.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Jim721:

I never thought just a simple IP change would cause issues like it has. I really hope submitting that form will get the location corrected. According to the site i will know by Tuesday. Tired of my roku boxes thinking i am in Georgia.

I don't have a Roku box, so I can't say with authority; but I suspect that Roku does not yet support IPv6. If you think you have CDN IP geolocation problems now, wait until your media devices start using IPv6. Assuming that your router supports IPv6, have you noticed how even the Comcast speed test thinks its own IPv6 addresses are at least 5000 miles from any of their servers?

In case you don't have IPv6 yet (or hadn't noticed the mileage), here are some examples I just got:

Imagine the lag time (and the ads from the local camel exchange) when your Roku box thinks you are in Chad.

Jim721
Belleville, MI

1 edit

Jim721

Yes i have had IPv6 for some time now works good. And i have thought about that but for now and in my case IPv4 is the issue. When v6 becomes the protocol of choice i hope they have these issues work out.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to Jim721

Premium Member

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

All downstream frequencies have changed, my downstream signals vary 5 dbmv sometimes in a matter of minutes ....

FWIW, I'm having the same issue over on the west side of the state: going from -0.xx to 5.xx without any noticeable change in weather. :-(
cheeseman
join:2014-06-19
Palo Alto, CA

cheeseman to NetFixer

to NetFixer
There's actually a very heated thread about IPv6 on the Roku forums that got locked.

The attitude over there is generally "if it isn't what Roku is doing now, you're stupid for wanting it".

NetDog
Premium Member
Hollywood, FL

NetDog

Premium Member

said by cheeseman:

There's actually a very heated thread about IPv6 on the Roku forums that got locked.

The attitude over there is generally "if it isn't what Roku is doing now, you're stupid for wanting it".

PM me the link please.. I have been talking to the Roku people about v6..

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to Jim721

MVM

to Jim721
That is at least four ISPs, now, with geolocation threads in their DSLR forums.

ISPs don't tell geolocation services where their IP addresses are located; they have their hands full without having to remember to notify the dozen, or so, geolocators when they shuffle their IP addresses.

I have been geolocated everywhere from across town to across the Pacific.

If I think it is important enough to be corrected, I just do it myself; I informed Google that my Hurricane Electric IPv6 IP address, assigned from Fremont, California, was not in Taiwan.

OTOH, I don't much care if they think I am in Santa Clara, or Santa Rosa. They are a little farther apart than Dover, Delaware and Washington, D.C. And the closest is about five miles away from my residence.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Jim721

Premium Member

to Jim721
said by Jim721:

are you using Comcast DNS?
Are you blocking those devices/apps that are having problems from "tracking your location"?
either can sometimes cause some of the location problems you mention.
Also be aware some of the shadier geo-locators sometimes DELIBERATLY offer poor results hoping you'll fill out a exact address form...ie doing their work for free and MAYBE allowing them to resell your info.
The balance between allowing a 3rd party enough info to serve you well, and too much info for your own good is an ongoing challenge.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to NetDog

Premium Member

to NetDog
said by NetDog:

I have been talking to the Roku people about v6..

Any chance I can get you to beat up on Sonos to get IPv6 added to their stuff too?

Jim721
Belleville, MI

Jim721 to tshirt

to tshirt
Yep using comcast DNS and no i am not blocking anything. My IP changed and now i am suddenly located in Georgia. I submitted the form to get it resolved so as stated above i shall see.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to NetDog

to NetDog
Can you start talking to the TiVo and PlayStation people too please?
Mike Wolf

Mike Wolf to Jim721

to Jim721
I had that same problem when I lost my host name last week, threw in some different MAC addresses to try to get it back and one of them tossed me into Marion County, Georgia. I wouldn't mind that I just miss my host name.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

I wouldn't mind that I just miss my host name.

What was so special about that host name? Comcast uses a generic format along the lines of:

c-nn-nn-nn-nn.hsd1.xx.comcast.net

Being dynamically assigned assigned, they retain control of the host name.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I don't have a host name at all. That's what I mean.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

2 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I don't have a host name at all. That's what I mean.

The only thing I can think of that really needs an rDNS hostname would be an email server that sends email directly instead of relaying through an external smarthost. Since Comcast blocks that for residential accounts, what do you do that requires an rDNS hostname? If you were just using it as a backdoor remote access hostname (although for me the IP address would be easier to remember than a generic Comcast rDNS name), there are a number of DDNS providers who can provide you with a proper DNS A record for whatever hostname you chose to use (as long as someone else isn't already using it).

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I do alot of work on IRC which shows the host name and I've been getting complaints from clients that it's not being displayed to them. Point is how do I, or Comcast, fix this.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I do alot of work on IRC which shows the host name and I've been getting complaints from clients that it's not being displayed to them. Point is how do I, or Comcast, fix this.

Only Comcast can "fix" it, and I have no idea how you can convince them to do so ahead of whatever schedule they have for updating the PTR records for new IPv4 address blocks (if you are talking about an IPv6 address, don't hold your breath). While this forum does have a couple of Comcast network engineers who visit (and help out) frequently, I doubt that kind of routine administrative work is part of their normal duties (and in the corporate world it pays to be careful of whose toes you step on -- that person may be your boss next week).

FWIW, when I had a static IPv4 address block on my business class service, I was not able to get the custom rDNS addresses that are part of that service assigned until I used this site's Comcast Direct forum -- and we all know how effective that approach would be today.

But speaking of a business class static IP account, that would be one thing that you could do to get a personalized rDNS pointer to your connection.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

No, was referring to IPv4 And I was just bringing some attention to it in case others experienced the same issue. I just found it strange for it to occur and for it to be missing, that's all. You know what I found strange is on certain websites it lists the ISP as Comcast IP Services whereas with my other IPv4 IP addresses in the past it would be listed as Comcast Cable Communications. This is one such website: »ipv6-test.com/ IPv6 always seems to say Comcast IP Services. "Comcast IP Services" sounds pretty cool and modern.

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mike Wolf

MVM

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I do alot of work on IRC which shows the host name and I've been getting complaints from clients that it's not being displayed to them.

Have you verified this with nslookup? I had grabbed an IP address from an old email to get the format. The actual IP lookup was:
C:\utils\dig>nslookup 67.188.12.92
Server:  1000-0000-0000-0000-09d7-04ed-a420-2062.6rd.ip6.sonic.net
Address:  2602:24a:de40:7d90::1

Name:    c-67-188-12-92.hsd1.ca.comcast.net
Address:  67.188.12.92

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
Not having an rDNS hostname assigned is not strange at all. In fact it is the default condition. The owner of the IP address block must manually create the PTR records to create the rDNS hostname.

What I find interesting about the »ipv6-test.com/ site is that they zing you if you have a SLAAC generated IPv6 address (presumably because that address could be used for identification), but they also zing you if you don't have an IPv6 rDNS hostname (even though having such a hostname would equally identify your connected PC).

As for Comcast Cable Communications vs Comcast IP Services that just depends upon where in the whois entry you look for the name:

#
NetRange: 2601:: - 2601:FFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF
CIDR: 2601::/20
NetName: COMCAST6NET
NetHandle: NET6-2601-1
Parent: NET6-2600 (NET6-2600-1)
NetType: Direct Allocation
OriginAS: AS7922
Organization: Comcast IP Services, L.L.C. (CISL-5)
RegDate: 2011-06-03
Updated: 2014-11-20
Ref: »whois.arin.net/rest/net/ ··· 6-2601-1
OrgName: Comcast IP Services, L.L.C.
OrgId: CISL-5
Address: 1800 Bishops Gate Blvd
City: Mount Laurel
StateProv: NJ
PostalCode: 08054
RegDate: 2005-02-08
Updated: 2008-10-04
Ref: »whois.arin.net/rest/org/CISL-5
OrgTechHandle: IC161-ARIN
OrgTechName: Comcast Cable Communications Inc
OrgTechPhone: +1-856-317-7200
OrgTechEmail: CNIPEO-Ip-registration@cable.comcast.com
OrgTechRef: »whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ ··· 161-ARIN
OrgAbuseHandle: NAPO-ARIN
OrgAbuseName: Network Abuse and Policy Observance
OrgAbusePhone: +1-888-565-4329
OrgAbuseEmail: abuse@comcast.net
OrgAbuseRef: »whois.arin.net/rest/poc/ ··· APO-ARIN

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

1 recommendation

NormanS

MVM

said by NetFixer:

What I find interesting about the »ipv6-test.com/ site is that they zing you if you have a SLAAC generated IPv6 address (presumably because that address could be used for identification), but they also zing you if you don't have an IPv6 rDNS hostname (even though having such a hostname would equally identify your connected PC).

They ding me for filtered ICMP. Seems to be subsequent to the latest ASUS firmware update.