Search similar:

uniqs
pokeefe0001
join:2014-10-31
Seattle, WA

1 edit

pokeefe0001

Replacing CenturyLink router function with external router

I want to disable the WiFi and router function of my CenturyLink modem/router with an external router. I am currently using a C1000A modem, but I want to test this on my old GT701-WG modem.

Has anyone done this with a GT701-WG configured to use PPP0A or PPPoE? If I enable transparent bridging it looks like router has to do handle the PPP userid and password negotiation. When ordering the router (an ASUS RT-N56U) I assumed that the modem would still do that. What do I have to do to get this to work? (Maybe I'll find out when the router arrives, but I'd rather know ahead of time.)

Edit: Further reading suggests that I need to put my modem in "bridge mode" and have the router do the PPPoA (or PPPoE) authentication. But I don't know how to put my GT701-WG in bridge mode. It has a "RFC1483 Bridged" option, but I get the impression that this is not transparent bridging. (My C1000A does have a "transparent bridging" mode. In fact it has multiple flavors. That may result in future questions.)

How do I put a GT701-WG in transparent bridge mode? I can't find that documented.
pokeefe0001

pokeefe0001

I was looking at obsolete documentation. (I can find none that matches my current firmware.) My modem has a "RFC1483 Transparent Bridge" option. I see a very long thread (»PPP v.s. RFC1483 v.s. transparent bridge) that tries to explain the difference between "Transparent Bridging" and RFC1483 Transparent Bridging" (among other things), but it's very hard to follow. I think I'll just have to try it and see how it works. But if anyone has any hints for success I'd like to hear them.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to pokeefe0001

to pokeefe0001
Previously, I have used a C1000a in bridge mode coupled to a RT-N66u. I believe, the ASUS setup wizard determined your connect type and then all you you had to do was enter your DSL credentials supplied by CL.
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

You are right. I wasn't as worried about the ASUS part of the setup as the Actiontec part, but both worked with no problem. I still don't understand how (or IF) "RFC1483 Transparent Bridging" differs from plain "Transparent Bridging", but I won't worry about it.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

They are the same thing -- both will require that your other router handle the PPPoE or PPPoA authentication to CenturyLink's network. The main difference is that some people like writing "RFC1483." (I, admittedly, am in that camp.)
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

I've dug around a bit (on the web and in my memory). I think the term "transparent bridging" was originally applied to a technique used in level 2 switches connecting 2 LAN segments - no RFC1483 in sight. It describes a technique for dynamically building the addressing table for frame forwarding.

I've not been able to find a real definition for "RFC1483 Transparent Bridging", but I suspect the modem documentation writers adopted the term since it sort of described the "transparent mode" of the routers. I don't think a frame forwarding table even exists in a modem (unless the modem has multiple LAN ports).

I think modem doc would be clearer if the writers said "Bridging Mode" or "RFC1483 Bridging" rather than using an already existing term. I'm too easily confused to handle that. :-(
mrhoogles
join:2012-03-02
Silverhill, AL

mrhoogles

to do bridging you have to use pppoe, def not pppoa, also the login and password should be findable on the modem, its not something you would just know, or at least it wasnt in my case, it was some random thing they did themselves

to get to it go to quick setup and then Click here for advanced settings only if required by your ISP

thats a pretty good modem/router combo btw, its full of linuxy goodness.