Search similar:

uniqs

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

Gas price war in London? (90.8 cents currently)

Seeing an odd pattern here in the deep southwest over the past few weeks since the collapse in global oil prices.

In the past, I could count on the Costco in Windsor and it's multi-year position as the driver of prices in Windsor and as far east as Tillbury. I would always stop at the Flying J in Tillbury to fill up on my trips from Windsor back to London, and a 10 cent difference wasn't unusual between the price of gas there vs London.

But lately, prices in London have broken $1.00 for at least a week, and yesterday morning was 91.5. Yet on a trip to Windsor yesterday I'm seeing 99.9 in Tillbury and 95/96 in Windsor. In fact, last night around 11 pm I filled up in London for 90.8 - a price that I'm still seeing this morning at Pioneer.

On Gas Buddy, the further you get from London (in either direction) the prices go up.

Strange. Can anyone explain that?

PS: For those of you with diesel engines - sucks to be you. Diesel is selling for over 1.20 around here.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur

Premium Member

Diesel was 10-15 cents a litre cheaper than gas from spring to late fall this year. So for the full year, the total cost to fill up was no more expensive than gas. And since the same vehicle with a diesel engine gets 10-20% better fuel economy than a gasoline engine, diesel is cheaper.

Look at the price trend, not the spike. Cherry-picked analysis sucks.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by digitalfutur:

And since the same vehicle with a diesel engine gets 10-20% better fuel economy than a gasoline engine, diesel is cheaper.

This comment makes zero sense. A diesel vehicle may be cheaper to operate than a gasoline vehicle but diesel is still more expensive than gasoline during the winter. End of story.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to digitalfutur

Premium Member

to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Diesel was 10-15 cents a litre cheaper than gas from spring to late fall this year. So for the full year, the total cost to fill up was no more expensive than gas. And since the same vehicle with a diesel engine gets 10-20% better fuel economy than a gasoline engine, diesel is cheaper.

Look at the price trend, not the spike. Cherry-picked analysis sucks.

In the context you have provided is meaningless, does the better mileage offset the higher cost?

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
When you aren't in the urban build up of a city and are the only gas station for miles you can get away with charging more.

IMHO gas prices in London tend to get higher in the North end regardless of which station (chains or independent) is selling it.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
Most of the stations near Milton were 99.9 today, yesterday they were 100.9, and the day before some where charging as much as 102. 99.9 in downtown Toronto today as well. Oil companies are still raping good if its 10 cents more than London.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009 to sm5w2

to sm5w2
90.4 in Kanata yesterday. I paid 104 for premium on Saturday which is amazing.
System

to sm5w2

Anon

to sm5w2
This topic has been closed. Reason: More suitable topic exists

See: »Gas prices - On a massive spike once again