uniqs

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

[General] Going "a little bit VoIP" - is that possible?

Is it possible to blend an VoIP system with a POTS system?

I ask because of the fear of switching to VoIP that my friend has for his small office.

Is there a proven strategy for easing into VoIP or is it an 'all or nothing' situation?

Thinking of: Anveo (PBX) or voip.ms (PBX)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

sammoats
Premium Member
join:2014-02-16
Winchester, VA

sammoats

Premium Member

I've seen a number of situations where a customer of mine has traditional POTS PRI lines for their PBX that they use for inbound calls and for local outbound calls. They also have a SIP trunk that they use for international calls or long distance codes.

YMMV but if their PBX supports both SIP and traditional POTS I see no reason not to mix/match.

Sam
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson

Re: [General] Going "a little bit VoIP" - is that possible?

1) He can always keep a POTS line as his main incoming line, and use VoIP for outbound calls (spoofing his POTS number on the outbound VoIP line for CID).

1a) However the outbound CID spoofing might not work as desired in Canada.

2) Even at a level simpler than PBX, some devices allow connection to both VoIP and POTS, classically one of them is the Gigaset A580IP phone, the C610AIP is another. Gigaset calls POTS the "fixed line".
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Both Anveo and VoIP.ms offer outgoing caller ID name and number in Canada.

My answer to Rob's question is that as long as you know what you are doing, anything is possible, and any set of features can be made to work reliably. There is no problem that cannot be permanently solved by simple and logical troubleshooting.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Mango:

Both Anveo and VoIP.ms offer outgoing caller ID name and number in Canada.

Question: If the number is being spoofed (for example if it's really still with Bell Canada) does the SS7 signaling transmit the spoofed number, or the Voip provider's trunk number?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Spoofed number.

I routinely spoof my Telus (copper POTS) number when I make long distance calls via VoIP.
giqcass
join:2014-03-10

giqcass to RobThompson

to RobThompson
I would definitely recommend trying VOIP for outbound only calls if I wanted to go "a little bit VOIP". He could keep fully working inbound and outbound landline calling. The only thing he would risk is a small up front cost with no risk of missing any calls. Once comfortable a full switch would be simple.
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

fparker to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Toronto number is spoofed for 2 of our outgoing office lines using Anveo and voip.ms. Same single number is spoofed correctly for both.
steve1111
join:2009-09-23
Albany, NY

steve1111 to RobThompson

to RobThompson
I eased into it this way: outgoing POTS and incoming Voip. Initially, using Voip was just an experiment. As time went by the Voip phone proved itself to be reliable. It was a good way to have the phone ring to accept calls I wanted, to direct calls I didn't know to voicemail and to give a busy signal to calls I didn't want.

The additional dollar cost of the Voip phone was small. My wife and I were hesitant to cut the POTS phone and the savings that would have been realized by cutting the POTS phone were small so I kept both phones together for about three years.

Then came Hurricane Sandy, shortly afterwards my POTS phone was cut by the phone company and so now I use Voip for outgoing calls too. I ordered 911 service for the Voip phone, otherwise there was no noticeable difference and I had successfully eased in to an all Voip environment.
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart to RobThompson

to RobThompson
Assuming that he has an existing key or PBX system with which he is satisfied and a main incoming number that can receive multiple concurrent calls (several lines in a hunt group):

He could set up the first line to forward on busy to a VoIP DID, and forward on no answer to another VoIP DID. He wouldn't have to give out either of those numbers. He could then drop all but one of his lines.

The first VoIP DID would ring into ATAs that would be connected in place of the canceled lines. The second would route immediately to voicemail.

If he has more than two lines in the hunt group, before attempting this setup, confirm with Bell (or whoever is the POTS provider) that their service will forward multiple concurrent calls.

If the above scenario is inapplicable, please post details about his present system (hardware, number of lines, how used, etc.)

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
I'm surprised it is not mentioned, but the older Obi110 supports both telco POTS lines and 2 bi-directional VoIP providers. If you avail yourself of the 'Voice Gateway' feature you can provision and access a number of additional VoIP providers for outbound-only calling (I can access 5 more providers, over and above "SP1 and SP2," on my Obi 100 for a total of 7 connected VoIP providers). I don't know what the needs of the small office are, but an Obi110 could be used in conjunction with a PBX, or as a stand-alone device connected to cordless phones as a safety-net.
said by steve1111:

I eased into it this way: outgoing POTS and incoming Voip.

I did the opposite, keeping my ATT POTS line and calling out via VoIP spoofing my POTS CID. I figured that the outbound calls were discretionary and if VoIP didn't work I could grab the ATT line, whereas I was not controlling the inbound calls. After getting over my nervousness, like so many here, I ultimately ported my POTS line to my primary VoIP provider and have never looked back.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to RobThompson

to RobThompson
Plus faxing over VOIP may have issues. If the business relies heavily on fax and does not use a cloud solution just a regular fax machine then thought may need to go into it,

My wife is in medical and they have an online faxing solution. Still have a regular fax machine for when all else fails.
But if business is heavy into traditional faxes (fax machine over POTS) care needs to be taken with a solution.

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Thanks people!

I think we'll try the 'out-going only' idea first and then try Stewart's idea after we get confirmation regarding 'call forwarding' of concurrent calls.