dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
connor79
join:2011-11-02

connor79

Polycom VVX500 phones with USB Camera, what is needed?

Hey everyone, kind of a specific question but this is also I guess generic lol. The Polycom VVX 500 support a USB camera on it. It says for requirements Network: H.323 or SIP Signaling and then video calling talks about Polycom UC infrastructure etc.

Anyway, I have a hosted PBX service from one of the larger providers, but they don't sell/support the camera as it's new. It's a SIP based Hosted PBX though built on the Broadworks platform. Is it safe to assume that you need some kind of UC platform to make this work, or can they just call one another and do video? I have some remote workers in other states, so just thinking in future it would be handy, but just wondering what actually makes it work. As in say I even just had 2 phones connect to voip.ms over SIP or something, could they video each other or does it need some kind of server or platform etc? Trying to read all the data sheets but can't seem to find any actual answer, or if it can even use another type of account like Skype or Google Hangouts, etc. Thanks!

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1

Premium Member

I have VVX-500 & VVX-600 models with the camera modules. I also have a VVX-1500, which has a built-in camera, although it's not in service just now.

All three of these I have used with OnSIP, in which case video calls just happen automatically when the far end is similarly capable. There at least one person that calls me routinely who has his VVX registered to ONSIP, but doesn't have a camera. In that case he sees my video but I don't see him.

Polycom has worked to get Broadsoft certified, but I'm not clear what platforms or software revisions are involved.

In any case, UC infrastructure is only required when you want to get into multiparty video conference calls. For point-to-point video calling you should be able to reach any other video capable SIP end-point.

As a test you can always try something like Bria on a cell phone or tablet. Of course, the video capability is a chargeable option in that case.