uniqs

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

Windows XP registry hack keeps security updates rolling...

The hack, as reported by ZDNet, fools Microsoft into thinking the system is running Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, a variant of XP that's used by ATMs and cash registers. Those systems will keep getting security updates until 2019.

All XP users need to do is create a text file with the following contents:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]

"Installed"=dword:00000001

Then, change the file extension from “.txt” to “.reg,” and run the file in Windows Explorer. Opening Windows Update at this point should reveal several new security updates.

On the downside, the hack only works on 32-bit systems. There's a workaround for 64-bit machines

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2310301/windows-xp-registry-hack-keeps-the-security-updates-rolling.html
http://www.zdnet.com/article/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA

Napsterbater

MVM

What about for systems that use a WSUS server? I don't remember seeing an option for "POSReady 2009".

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion to Cartel

to Cartel
Better hope MS doesn't decide to exploit some small difference between POSReady and regular XP to break XP with an update if you do this though....

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
It's been reported several places recently that this hack is no longer working. If you look at the date of the zdnet article, it was written back in May! Plenty of time for MS to circumvent it.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Don't forget to tell folks to back up their Registry first.

Although the hack may still work - whether or not it does or doesn't is not important.

What's being overlooked is that XP is dead. All due to those out there still
using it.

I also find it irresponsible for a so-called Blogger like Larry to push crap like this for page reads and not much else. Is it reporting ? No, it allows an aged OS to continue running.

My .02

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

KrK

Premium Member

said by siljaline:

No, it allows an aged OS to continue running.

.... and this is bad because....

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

XP was originally launched in 2001, that's a 13 year old OS. Many view components of XP as weak and easily exploited. The same applied to Windows 98SE after it was brought out of retirement. It broke, folks were exploited due to a non current Kernel.

When my installation of XP broke, I cried as I lost all my data as I had no backup plan.
That was a my-bad. After having run Windows 7, I would not go back to XP given the opportunity to do so.

The standard fare MS EOL Statement.
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· _Null_02

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK

Premium Member

Yes, but that still doesn't explain why keeping the OS running and secure is a bad thing. There are many old systems running XP just fine that would struggle under Windows 7. I loved Windows 7, and I actually like 8.1 too (I don't mess with metro much at all.)

It's not always just a pure choice of OS, either. Some expensive and old software runs on XP but to run it properly on new OS is a chore or requires an expensive upgrade to the license, so I understand the reluctance.

But I understand for some people and equipment, a functioning XP is what it is.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to siljaline

to siljaline

quote:
What's being overlooked is that XP is dead. All due to those out there still using it.
No buddy.... XP is still alive due to all those still using her!!

Like Win98se is still alive for the some of us who love her

ltsnow
Premium Member
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA

ltsnow

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

quote:
What's being overlooked is that XP is dead. All due to those out there still using it.
No buddy.... XP is still alive due to all those still using her!!

Like Win98se is still alive for the some of us who love her

+1

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

1 recommendation

carpetshark3

Premium Member

When new digitizing software for embroidery costs over $2K, and your older stuff runs just fine on XP, take XP offline and use it. I have 2 machines offline.

Aside from these programs that need Windows XP, I can do all the normal stuff on Linux and ignore MS totally.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

Re: Windows XP registry hack keeps security updates rolling...

One of the biggest issues with running XP is your front facing application being IE9 - the highest you can go with this OS. But then you'd say you use another Browser and never use IE.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

Um, IE8 is the highest that'll run on XP. IE9 for Vista.

IE9 For XP - Why doesn't Internet Explorer 9 work on WIndows XP?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
I posted about this a while back.

»[XPPro] a update patch allows updates for WinXP?

I thought the guy on facebook still selling copies of XP with the registry hack for $25 for pro and $15 for home was a bit much.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823

Re: ‏

Necrophilia!
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Ah man!!

passing by
@107.132.138.x

passing by to Cartel

Anon

to Cartel

Hack still works as of this morning!
Expand your moderator at work

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

MS Answers is the last place I look for something to read. If I need a Tome maybe.

That's not really the point to this thread but it's part of the greater picture why XP is dead. DeAD

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua

Premium Member

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· XqU-w9U0
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to siljaline

to siljaline
Also it should be noted that xp POS and xp home and pro are very different oses in some regards. Some system files from xp pos 09 and xp pro are different and not compatible. Meaning a update could cause your xp install to no longer boot up and or could cause drivers to no longer work etc.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to KrK

to KrK
XP can not be made secure today it is far to exploitable. ATMs and registers etc can get away with xp pos because of other security inplace that is not part of the os.

XP is very insecure today and a easy target for hackers to turn in to a bot net machine.
Nanaki

1 recommendation

Nanaki (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823

Re: ‏

if you have a 98se machine online it is quite likely it is part of a spam bot bot net. 98se has so many security flaws that it can be owned in seconds by even a noob hacker. 98 and 98 se are quite litterally find and own operating systems.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

Thank you......

I am very aware of whats on my computer and what isnt...... Nothing like that is on here,trust me

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel

Do those updates work well in 32-bit XP SP3? I know they're unsupported.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Define "work well". Yes they install and XP still runs if that's what you mean.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

trparky to Nanaki

Premium Member

to Nanaki
said by Nanaki:

Also it should be noted that xp POS and xp home and pro are very different oses in some regards. Some system files from xp pos 09 and xp pro are different and not compatible. Meaning a update could cause your xp install to no longer boot up and or could cause drivers to no longer work etc.

I would not put it past Microsoft to build an update that specifically bricks Windows XP machines that have this hack installed. It would be easy to determine which OS is the real POSReady OS, ask the kernel what it is and then proceed to self-destruct the OS if it's plain Windows XP.

Honestly, if you ask me, I'd rather have a few thousand bricked/unbootable Windows XP machines than a few thousand bots spewing forth spam and participating in huge DDoS attack campaigns. Because that's exactly what will happen. If you're on the global Internet with Windows XP you're endangering the whole Internet community.

Windows XP needs to be put to bed. If you well and truly have older computer hardware that can only run Windows XP... hell, I'm surprised that hardware still runs. Good luck finding DDR (not DDR2 or DDR3) RAM for those machines. Hell, good luck finding an EIDE hard drive these days.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

3 recommendations

OZO

Premium Member

said by trparky:

Honestly, if you ask me, I'd rather have a few thousand bricked/unbootable Windows XP machines than a few thousand bots spewing forth spam and participating in huge DDoS attack campaigns. Because that's exactly what will happen. If you're on the global Internet with Windows XP you're endangering the whole Internet community.

Windows XP needs to be put to bed.

Yes, sir. Tomorrow morning I'm going to trash all my computers running windows XP and go to pay for a new OS just because of that reason. ..

If seriously, I'm sick and tired of that endless marketing pitch, selling new product from the OS developing company. My computers run WXP for past 13 years without any security problems, whatsoever. Even though that I never used any anti-... programs installed.

Moreover I don't understand that religious believe that everyone *must* install latest updates, even if they were not developed for that particular OS (as in this discussion) I think that that misconception it just a part of marketing campaign from the company that desperately need some fresh money from selling its new product.

Finally, from my personal experience there were lot of updates / hotfixes that made OS worse rather than better. So, I think everyone should look at them critically, applying only if they actually improve your computer. But certainly not to rush to install those packages by any means (applying some hacks suggested) just because they *must* install those "new updates"...
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by OZO:

Finally, from my personal experience there were lot of updates / hotfixes that made OS worse rather than better. So, I think everyone should look at them critically, applying only if they actually improve your computer. But certainly not to rush to install those packages by any means (applying some hacks suggested) just because they *must* install those "new updates"...

1+ to that and to your other comments.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky

Premium Member

And how old are these machines? I seriously doubt you'll be able to find replacement parts for these machines. CPU fan failed? Can't find that anymore. RAM? Hard drive? Video card? DVD-RW drive? I doubt those motherboards have SATA ports on them. They probably don't even have the latest PCI Express slot type.

I wish you all the luck in keeping those Frankenstein machines functioning. You're going to need it seeing as how sourcing parts to replace broken parts is going to be far more difficult and expensive as time goes on.

I personally don't keep a computer longer than five years.