uniqs
jwillisbarri
join:2005-03-22
Barrie, ON

jwillisbarri to Monsieur

to Monsieur

Re: 12 days of giveaways - for all except Quebec residents

Remember pastagate? »www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 7176804/
Also the contest would have to be done in French.

Monsieur
William
join:2011-03-18
canada

Monsieur

said by jwillisbarri:

Remember pastagate?

jwillisbarri, it just shows you don't understand the issue. It has nothing to do with the Charter of the French language. Contest page is already fully available in French to make it look like a national contest but it's not.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i could understand if they were located only in Ontario and had a few Quebec customers, but they have an office in Quebec.

also Andre, you decided to open the bag of making it a cost issue to have a contest in Quebec and then conveniently decided to say you don't know what the cost is and how it's not related to you at all.

you're just passing the buck and acting like a big company that can't seem to communicate with their other departments.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

1 edit

Nitra

They have to keep all correspondence on the site in French because of the office in Quebec.
Even more of a reason they shouldn't exclude QC from the contest.

The cost issue doesn't pass the smell test as well, as a national contest, the fee would have been 3%, it's a very simple form that needs to be filled out and submitted with the fee paid 30 days before the contest starts. There is some leeway on when some of the info can be provided.

I think someone may have missed the dates, or forgot, or possibly didn't bother to look into it.
Nitra

Nitra to jwillisbarri

to jwillisbarri
said by jwillisbarri:

Remember pastagate? »www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 7176804/
Also the contest would have to be done in French.

Contest is already in French.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
I doubt anyone from Teksavvy even bothered to look. Everyone who is involved in this kind of stuff already knows what a sham Quebec's laws are.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

said by Gone:

I doubt anyone from Teksavvy even bothered to look. Everyone who is involved in this kind of stuff already knows what a sham Quebec's laws are.

Is there a reason you're contributing here?
You are not from QC, this doesn't involve you.
Nitra

Nitra

Here's the form Andre
»www.racj.gouv.qc.ca/file ··· .ang.pdf

You can see, it's really not a convoluted process.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

is a reason you're contributing here?
You are not from QC, this doesn't involve you.

I have just as much right to contribute to this conversation as you or anyone else.
I'm trying to help you understand why this is a problem with your provincial legislation and not the company that you're all bitching about. You're welcome.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

And in fact sometimes an outside perspective gives a new POV.

In other words, sometimes things are clearer from a distance.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

I have just as much right to contribute to this conversation as you or anyone else.
I'm trying to help you understand why this is a problem with your provincial legislation and not the company that you're all bitching about. You're welcome.

You have a point, but you're also not listening to our side.
It's very easy for TSI to include us, and you also have an additional point, the truth is very likely, that nobody bothered to look into what was required.

So yes, we have a right as customers of the national company that operates in the province to question this.
TSI has a large number of customers from QC, they operate offices here as well, there shouldn't be a reason for exclusion.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

3 recommendations

MacGyver

said by Nitra:

It's very easy for TSI to include us

No, it is absolutely NOT easy. The business risk is extremely high. We have this discussion about Teksavvy contests every single year at this time, and frankly it's getting old.

By running a contest in Quebec or including Quebec, TSI would agree to allow the Quebec Government to have defacto complete control over the contest, including the right to change or cancel the contest, even mediate lawsuits - Even if the dispute doesn't involve anyone from Quebec. Because the laws are so onerous, one slip up or disgruntled participant can result in severe court costs and penalties to Teksavvy. Teksavvy would need to take out insurance to protect themselves. Suddenly a fun contest that consists of a bunch of prizes that Marc bought from Best Buy on his way home from work, isn't so fun any more.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to Nitra

Premium Member

to Nitra
Sure you have the right to question this, but your anger is misplaced. And that has been my point all among. Instead of getting mad at a company that clearly wants nothing to do with the risk and cost associated with running a contest in Quebec, write to your MNA to strike down these laws that put you at a disadvantage compared to the rest of Canada. And considering that you guys are excluded from just about every national contest run by any national company, you must all be very angry individuals who should be picketing in the street demanding action from your legislature if this is as big a deal as some here are making it out to be.

The path of least resistance is going to be to pressure elected officials, not trying to force companies do something they are under no obligation to do and clearly won't do. Quite simply, instead of trying to pin your provinces own problems on others, try to fix those problems yourself.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

It's very easy for TSI to include us

Have you ever done it? I have. It's a royal pain in the ass. I've dealt with clients who, when faced with the added cost (financial obligations to the Quebec government, the administrative costs involved in dealing with it, the increased liability), decided not to run a contest at all.

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

said by bt:

Have you ever done it? I have. It's a royal pain in the ass. I've dealt with clients who, when faced with the added cost (financial obligations to the Quebec government, the administrative costs involved in dealing with it, the increased liability), decided not to run a contest at all.

Yes actually, twice over the years.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

said by Nitra:

Have you ever run a contest outside Quebec? It basically consists of this:

1. Announce contest
2. Award prizes
3. Profit

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to Gone

to Gone
I hate a lot of things about my province but I can't fault our customer protection laws. If TSI isn't willing to meet those conditions then that contest automatically loses credibility in my eyes.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I fail to see how entering a contest to win a prize for free with no purchase necessary is anywhere even close to being the same thing as a paying customer.

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

Jay_P

said by Gone:

I fail to see how entering a contest to win a prize for free is anywhere even close to being the same thing as a paying customer.

It's basically a "show me the money or GTFO" rule. Simply because it's free doesn't mean you should be allowed to advertise a WIN $50k contest when you have nothing to back it up.
redeye95
join:2014-01-22
Mississauga, ON

redeye95 to Monsieur

to Monsieur
those who are critical of teksavvy's contest are "looking a gift horse in the mouth"...

Nitra
Montreal

Nitra

said by redeye95:

those who are critical of teksavvy's contest are "looking a gift horse in the mouth"...

Not at all correct.
How is it a gift horse when you can't get said gift?

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to redeye95

to redeye95
said by redeye95:

That would be true if they qualified but they don't.

TSI Tina
Premium Member
join:2011-08-17

2 recommendations

TSI Tina to Monsieur

Premium Member

to Monsieur
Hey Everyone,

First of all I have to say the interest in our contest "12 Days of Giveaways" is amazing, and thanks very much for following and paying attention to it. It is unfortunate that we couldn't make this one work for Quebec this year, the marketing team is very disappointed. We have been trying to run all of our contests for all of Canada.

We fully intended on running this one in Quebec as well, however we were missing some of the final details that caused us to be late for the submission deadline with the Régie.

We were working with some of our promotional partners for really awesome prizing, and unfortunately didn't have the exact final list, (prizing changed at the last minute) for the submission deadline. As some of you may know a full list of prizing and values are required for the Régie submission, and of course there is a deadline for application as well. We don't normally purchase all of the prizes from Best Buy, although this time a couple came from there at the last minute. This is a contest we've been running for the last 4 years, and we didn't want to cancel it altogether, its like a TSI tradition now, so we did what we could.

So yes, there is regulation we must adhere to when running a contest in Quebec, however its not so difficult that we avoid running in Quebec. Once you've done it once or twice you get the hang of it. The trick is getting every detail in order well in advance. Some mentioned costs as a factor, its really not an issue for us, as we budget for that with the contest planning. But we do typically try keep our prize values under the threshold to make it easier to run in Quebec. We run contests so frequently that this is the easiest way. Generally we aim for 1 contest/campaign every 1 to 2 months so our turnaround time on executing them is pretty tight.

Our preference is to always include everyone residing in Canada. For this one please accept our apologies, we don't think its cool either, but we promise to make it up to you on the next one! Until then Happy Holidays!

~Tina

Jay_P
Montreal, QC

Jay_P to Monsieur

to Monsieur
Good to hear Tina, looking forward to next year's contest.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Nitra:

Have you ever run a contest outside Quebec? It basically consists of this:

1. Announce contest
2. Award prizes
3. Profit

wait. don't forget the skill testing question
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to TSI Tina

to TSI Tina
Thanks for the answer Tina - since you know the prizing, are there any X1s or PS4s?

TSI Tina
Premium Member
join:2011-08-17

1 recommendation

TSI Tina to Monsieur

Premium Member

to Monsieur
Click for full size
I really can't say much, it is a contest after all... but we did post this teaser pic pre-contest launch!

inferno_gn
Premium Member
join:2007-02-26
Verdun, QC

inferno_gn to Monsieur

Premium Member

to Monsieur
Hi there,

I wish you stop SPAMING me about the contest if I don't even qualify to even sign up to it in he first place. I started to hate these kind of e-mails. Yeah, contest, sign up. Maybe you should filter out Quebec e-mails for these contest if we are not included...

Ju Leon...

Monsieur
William
join:2011-03-18
canada

Monsieur to TSI Tina

to TSI Tina
said by TSI Tina:

Our preference is to always include everyone residing in Canada. For this one please accept our apologies, we don't think its cool either, but we promise to make it up to you on the next one! Until then Happy Holidays!

~Tina

Great save Tina. Very professional. That's the TSI I like. I would recommend you add a link under the box where the participant add their email like "Quebec resident please click here" and in the small popup we would read your explanation. You could finish with "Please signup to our newsletter because you don't want to miss the next one" or something similar so the the contest is not a total waste for your Quebec subscribers and potential customers.
Expand your moderator at work