uniqs

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

OPT301

Anybody know of these being sold at a reasonable price. Maybe out of somebodies basement.
»www.ti.com/product/opt301

It's an old part but they are asking 2 arms and a leg for it.

There is a plastic equivalent (the 101) but it lack the UV response I want. I should have left with a few when I retired.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by SparkChaser:

they are asking 2 arms and a leg for it

Wow no kidding, even eBay China prices. Looks like it was originally a Burr Brown design.

/tom

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Yeah Tom, the price is amazing. I think it used to be about a 3X difference now it's almost 10.

I have not had a chance to go over the specs but I think the main difference is the package. The metal has a glass or quartz window which bumps up the UV response.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

2 recommendations

lutful to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
said by SparkChaser:

... the UV response I want ...

I asked around for OPT301, no luck.

But I learned that new gadgets use Silicon Carbide photodiodes for the UV spectrum.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by lutful:

But I learned that new gadgets use Silicon Carbide photodiodes for the UV spectrum.

Yes, thanks. I wanted the entire vis spectrum and the integrated amp. Didn't Cree start with SiC for LED? Not sure

They make sense though and I'll look into it if the I narrow the spectrum to the UV range.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by SparkChaser:

Didn't Cree start with SiC for LED?

I think SiC was used in the original blue-ish LEDs from 1960s. I see many DIY videos on Youtube. Higher brightness SiC/GaN and InGaN blue LEDs came later.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

Blue LEDs from the 1960s?!?
quote:
In August 1989, Cree Inc. introduced the first commercially available blue LED based on the indirect bandgap semiconductor, silicon carbide. SiC LEDs had very low efficiency, no more than about 0.03%, but did emit in the blue portion of the visible light spectrum.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li ··· ng_diode
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
Might try Digikey. $73 each! Yeah, bloody expensive.
»www.digikey.com/product- ··· s=opt301

Looks like something they got when they bought Burr-Brown. BB had some neat electronic items, but they were ghastly in price. Several years ago, needed a ISO100 from BB. Scary!

Unfortunately, a lot of these unusual devices are quite specialized, and the call is low. Ergo, the ridiculous price.

Oh ... BLUE LED's in the 60's? No chance! Got some samples of the new, wonderful RED LED's that had just come out in ~67. At that time, shorter wavelengths were still a dream.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

lutful to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Blue LEDs from the 1960s?!?
... August 1989, Cree Inc. introduced ... SiC LEDs

Yes, several researchers managed to make crude "blue-ish" LEDs in the 1960s, but they were not brought to market. Vassily Tsvetkov finally produced "commercial" grade blue LED at Siemens ... in 1977!

Injected Light Emission of Silicon Carbide Crystals
K. LEHOVEC, C. A. ACCARDO, AND E. JAMGOCHIAN

Signal Corps Engineering Laboratories, Fort Monmouth, New Jersey
(Received April 5, 1951)

I. INTRODUCTION

SOME silicon carbide crystals emit "cold" light while current passes. 1-7 Two types have been reported : (a) a bluish light and (b) a yellow light, the type emitted depending on the direction of current flow.