uniqs

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

Was there ANYBODY who really believed it WOULD make an impact?

Really, with so many private torrent sites around, and so many other websites to take Piratebay's place, was there anyone that seriously thought it would make any difference?
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul

said by maartena:

Was there ANYBODY who really believed it WOULD make an impact?

It wasn't meant to reduce piracy, it was meant to set an example;

"HAHA! You thought The Pirate Bay was untouchable? Well we just took down your indestructible torrent site and soon we'll be coming for the rest!"

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

1 edit

diablo18926

I never thought TPB was "untouchable". I always thought it just like any other pirate site only piratebay is covered in ad's and trash that will only give you a virus.

If they were to do something about VPN, then a message such as a warning like you described would be more scary.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to maartena

to maartena
TPB is already back up i just downloaded a tv ep i just watched a few days back as a test and worked just fine. It has been back up sense mid day saturday was taken down thursday after noon. Barely 2 days downtime. All TPB really is is a search engine. Meaning it has a few 100 megs of database and torrent files that are generated from the index data base. The information is fully decentralized. You can not take it off line perm so long as any one person has the formated data base. That data base can be entirely empty. Then the servers just need to re index all the peers and seeds and it is back up. That wold take at worst 4 or 5 days to rebuild the entire data base from a blank one. All TPB ever claimed is they are raid proof not that they can not be taken down on a temp basis. Of course their data centers can be hit same goes for cloud based all an gov needs is the pass words etc.

Being some one in the entertainment industry i do not support piracy by any means I am a freelance game designer 3d artist to be specific. How ever i do not believe that once a tv ep has originally aired that they should be able to do any thing about it if it is uploaded. At that point they have already made the money from their advertisers. In sindication the same ep will run later in the day on other channels and money will still be made. I watch reruns all the time late at night stuff from the last season of a show to clasic tv such as star trek and voyage to the bottom of the sea etc. Some of this stuff is older than me.

So i well all but know that people downloading missed tv show eps the day after do nothing to hurt the bottom line of any studio. Nor does downloading a movie 6 months after the dvd has hit the shelf.

Truth is it would be in the best interest of the various studios to release high quality digital versions of their films for free after say 3 to 6 months of dvd and blueray releases. This is about the time when they release special editions of the film. Releasing a plane jane version would get interest up in the special editions of their movies likely leading to increased sales. They just do not see this (yet). Just like for decades game companies did not see the value of free to play mmorpgs with free downloads. Once one game as a last ditch effort to save a game a full year after it was cancled in retail and had some pretty good success ( i was a gm for said game) making it almost 4 years in a donation based funding model litteraly dozens of companies called the owners up wanting their help to do the same. Now mmos are typically making 800% the amount on these free to play pay to win models (micro transation/cash shop).

There are other business models that can make a company many times the amount they make today.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

Sorry to inform you, but TPB is NOT back up. You visited one of the many imposters. Some are outright scams, some have a few uploads. Here is a link from TorrentFreak to back that up: »torrentfreak.com/fake-pi ··· -141215/

TF also has a story where TPB finally speaks out and says they don't know when or if they will be back: »torrentfreak.com/pirate- ··· -141215/

The .ee and .cr domains ARE NOT TPB.......
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

Well i tried a few more in the last hour or so all i tried on the cr are downloading and all do play. So what ever the cr domain is it functions identically to TPB right down to the your a idiot if you click anon download link that never has lead to any thing but trash. also the random popup behaves identically. So some one set up a new TPB using TPBs data base and it would seem search engine bot.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

If/when TPB comes back, it will be on the .se domain it was using before it went down. There is nothing wrong with the domain, it's not resolving because they seized the equipment this time, instead of the domain name. In the past they would seize or shutdown the domain name which they finally figured out wasn't doing crap because they have a bunch of domain names on standby.

It is an inconvenience that it's gone, but even as one of the founders who recently got out of jail said, it is past it's time, and maybe shouldn't come back. It had a ten year mission, to bring bittorrent/torrenting into the open, show it's usefulness, and then fade away making room for something better and faster. Once they turned it over to the current operators, that 10 year mark came and went, and all we got instead of a big going away party was more and more ads on top of other obnoxious ads.