spc
Search similar:

uniqs

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

[BBC News] How to conquer the galaxy on a computer

BBC News has an article on the resurgence of the space sim genre. I find it interesting mainstream (respected) media are beginning to cover e-sports and gaming in general more and more.

quote:
Space is big. Really big.

And not just in terms of the mind-boggingly vast distances between the stars and planets out there in the Universe at large.

It's also big in video games. All of a sudden there are lots of games based in space available to play or under testing and development.

Tomorrow sees the formal launch of Elite Dangerous, the update of the classic that established the whole space-trading and fighting genre. But there are many others too.

Rodina, Space Engineers, No Man's Sky, Limit Theory, Skyjacker, Enemy Starfighter, Eve Valkyrie, Star Citizen and many others are all space-based.

Lots of them put the player in the role of a starship pilot. Some emphasise exploring, some trading or fighting. A few combine all three.
»www.bbc.com/news/technol ··· 30447248

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Glad to see the space sim genre getting some love.

What happened to EVE Valkyrie? Is that still coming out?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Rodina looks pretty sweet.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
As long as the newer games a less complicated then the current space games.

I've played Vendetta online, EVE, and Star Trek Online. I think EVE and STO are complicated when you hit end game. They are a lot like Warcraft, in the fact that there is an "elite" build that everyone wants to mimic. Meaning you are restricted to that one build if you want to carry your weight.

I don't mind, but I really would like a game that I could play the way I want to. Without having to grind endless hours to get the "elite" gear [read the same gear and skill set as 1 million plus other players will have]. I'm an individual, and as such, I should be allowed to be different then the guy to the right or left of me.

Sure, I shouldn't be able to use a lev 1 ship/weapon when going into a level 50 event. But as long as my gear is for lev 50, then I should be good to go.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

So are you demanding that developers provide an artificially equal playing field, even if you put INT on your tank gear? (like affirmative action--you're not requesting equal opportunity, but equal results regardless of effort)

There will always be a top min-max build that results from spreadsheeting, regardless of whether it is WoW or EVE or Mechwarrior, unless you want a game with no mechanics. Take away that super rare item or armor, and you dumb down the game to WoW LFR where everything is attainable and therefore meaningless.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Guess I'm "stuck in the past".
Wing Commander and Privateer, you didn't need special gear to complete the objective, unlike todays MMOs. I know they were single player games, but they required little "work" on what you had equipped, instead you had to think tactics on how to kill the big bad.

Earth and Beyond was about that simple. Sure it has special gear, but it didn't require as much thought or effort as Star Trek online, World of Warcraft, or EVE does.
Ultima Online was simple as well. It has some complication, but not to the extent of modern MMOs.
My experience with EVE, WOW, and STO, though have shown me that if you are willing to pony up cash, then getting a "cutter cutter" clone isn't all that hard. But it will cost you.
Grinding for gear, to me, turns the game into a job. A job which I have to pay to do. Typically when I work I get paid, I don't pay my employer.

Mentat
Premium Member
join:2001-02-25
Houston, TX

Mentat

Premium Member

said by Snakeoil:

Earth and Beyond was about that simple. Sure it has special gear, but it didn't require as much thought or effort as Star Trek online, World of Warcraft, or EVE does.

enb's endgame was the fishbowl, where everyone clumped up for AOE heals and cycled their turbos for a hour or two. It sucks that Westwood was bought out and the game shut down, but really, it wasn't anything groundbreaking.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Earth and Beyond is still around, as a free to play game. They operators have EA's blessing as long as they don't make a profit.

»www.net-7.org/#home

Link posted just in case anyone wants to see what the game was like. They even put in the extra ships that EA didn't. Though you have to use "Ship creator" outside of the game to do so.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
There was no grind in WC as it was campaign driven in its entirety. Privateer had no gear grind, but you did have to grind credits to get the bigger ship/etc.

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

Mentat to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
Yeah, I paid attention to it a few years ago. I have no intention of standing in front of job terminals waiting for them to refresh ever again, so I'll just let nostalgia be nostalgia.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil

The maximum level in Earth and Beyond is 150. It can take many months, even a year for casual players, to reach the summit. To level, a player must gain experience. Each successive level requires more and more experience points.

That sounds suspiciously like a grindfest MMO.

Mentat
Premium Member
Houston, TX

Mentat

Premium Member

It was. You had 50 levels of combat, 50 of trading, 50 of exploration. Combat was easy, but capping on trading & exploration required mindless repetition of "jobs", which were just as fun as they sound.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

Which is way I don't play it. It was fun for a short while, then got to much like work. Just like every other MMO out there. How can grinding, gathering resources be fun? Plus paying someone cash so I can do that.