All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bohn
join:2006-05-30
Scarborough, ON

bohn

[Internet] Thinking of getting rogers internet but big problem...

I have Rogers HD television with three HD boxes meaning a rogers internet connection is impossible without another line. I have a rogers box on my front lawn. Can rogers run another line into my house so I can get working internet? Presently I have a dsl connection but it's touch and go as a junction box got rammed by a car last week.

B3NDover
@206.47.249.x

B3NDover

Anon

Hi, i have a rogers television connection with 3 hd boxes at my house, as well as internet and rogers home voip phone, and it works, i even had a 4ourth tv untill my son moved out. it was possible without a new run, they would put whats called a drop amp next to the incoming line near your hydro panel
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to bohn

to bohn
If you have the tap on your lawn, your good. Odds are we can split one of your existing TV lines to do your HSI.
The install tech will check his options but as a rule of thumb every house is designed to have enough signal to feed 4 tvs, home phone and Internet. So a total of 6 outlets.

A perfect install would have a dedicated line to each piece of equipment running from your panel. However this isn't always possible. Tech can do it (run a new line) he will, and it's free
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

I also live in Scarberia and have a wide house on a wide lot. When I moved in I wanted 8 cable outlets - the tech decided to do two runs from the street - one on the West side in addition to the existing run on the East side. This has come in handy already as my East side (which is where the internet was) was cut by the city working on the water. I was able to move my modem and router to the West side and get back up.

In total I have a cable modem/gateway and ten boxes - three of them hooked up to a powered distribution amp driving my SageTV media server.
bohn
join:2006-05-30
Scarborough, ON

bohn to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
Thanks and yes I do have a tap on the front lawn. I just hope rogers can reconfigure everything so the televisions work as I used my own broadband signal amplifier for the two HD boxes upstairs.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda

Premium Member

said by bohn:

Thanks and yes I do have a tap on the front lawn. I just hope rogers can reconfigure everything so the televisions work as I used my own broadband signal amplifier for the two HD boxes upstairs.

I have a feeling they'll remove this. Last I checked Rogers like to avoid any and all customer installed gear in the signal path.
bdoyledimou
join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou to bohn

to bohn
they will remove the amp -and rerun cables/add their own amps as required to give you the optimal signals.

When i had HHDVR installed into my 5 year old house they actually reran all the cables to the third floor as the ones used by the builder just were not cutting it.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to bohn

to bohn
Your own amplifier, unless identical to ours, will be removed. If an amp is needed we will install one of ours.

Customer owned devices typically cause the problems we get called out to fix. If we don't use the same model, it means we haven't tested it in out plant.

You could also be amplifying something that doesn't need to be.

People have this incorrect assumption that amplifying something, makes it better. You can amplify your signal too high and that causes problems as well.

Nextbox 3, likes to run low. If we amp it cause it's almost out of spec in the low end, it CREATES problems.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to bohn

to bohn
said by bohn:

Long story short, as long as you're willing to be a paying customer and don't need wires fished through walls, Rogers will do everything necessary to get your internet service up and running. You don't need to worry about anything.