MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Intel "Broadwell" NUC

quote:
Intel "Broadwell" NUC Spotted on Company Website

Intel's next-generation NUC (next unit of computing) compact desktop, believed to be based on the company's Core "Broadwell" processor, was spotted on the company website. Pictures reveal that the next NUC could be pocketable, yet have the computing power of

»www.techpowerup.com/2080 ··· ite.html

And the march goes on,...

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
join:2000-08-03
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

Need to build them with CoreM parts instead of Core i3/i5

Love sub 5W full featured SOC

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by ccallana:

No, because it kills the purpose of having a functioning computer. I use these as regular desktops (and temp servers) due to the small size and portability. Making them to essentially an screenless-laptop is pointless.
SD6
join:2005-03-26
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6 to ccallana

to ccallana
said by ccallana:

CoreM is great, but can't drive 4K monitors which is a key point of the NUCs.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

It's basically just an Atom replacement isn't it?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to SD6

MVM

to SD6
said by SD6:

said by ccallana:

CoreM is great, but can't drive 4K monitors which is a key point of the NUCs.

Is 4K really a key point of the NUCs,....?

Adding NUCs to the NUC lineup that aren't 4K capable wouldn't be all that surprising IMO.

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
Folsom, CA

ccallana to SD6

Premium Member

to SD6
Define "drive 4K monitors" - Where is it said 4k isn't supported on CoreM? Looks like maybe you can't have *multiple* 4K displays, but it certainly can have at least 1....

From »software.intel.com/en-us ··· graphics
quote:
DisplayPort* 1.2 / eDP*
Y-Processors: 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz, 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz capable (One display at 38 x 21 @ 60 Hz, 2nd display capped to 25 x 16, no 3rd display, additional cooling required)
HDMI*: 4096 x 2304, 3840 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 24bpp
DVI: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Sounds good to me.

If the argument is the NUC needs 4K support for living room entertainment then it seems well suited. Most people aren't going to try and run multiple 4K UHD TVs in the living room after all.

As for multiple 4K displays for the desktop, why not step up to a more robust processor (in a different form factor possibly with the ability to add a full sized video card) if you think you need such a feature.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to ccallana

Premium Member

to ccallana
The problem with the CoreM is that it's such a lackluster processor in every other way. It's basically just taking the place of the Intel Atoms.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

said by ccallana:

No, because it kills the purpose of having a functioning computer. I use these as regular desktops (and temp servers) due to the small size and portability. Making them to essentially an screenless-laptop is pointless.

They're already using the laptop ver of the core i3/5.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

There's using a mobile i3/i5 and then there's using an Atom/SoC.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

ya the mobile vs the ultra mobile.

My mom's using one with the Haswell i3 and 8gb ram and is very happy with it.

before she was using an atom based system and wasn't.
OldCableGuy (banned)
join:2014-12-19

1 recommendation

OldCableGuy (banned)

My wife also has the Haswell i3 based NUC and that thing is FAST

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

1 recommendation

tubbynet to Octavean

MVM

to Octavean
i'm actually looking to buy a pair of the i5 models with 16gb of ram and use them as esxi hosts for my lab. storage isn't a concern -- as i'll boot everything from lan over my synology nas. i figure for the power/footprint -- they'd work well for some test and infrastructure vms.

q.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by tubbynet:

i'm actually looking to buy a pair of the i5 models with 16gb of ram and use them as esxi hosts for my lab. storage isn't a concern -- as i'll boot everything from lan over my synology nas. i figure for the power/footprint -- they'd work well for some test and infrastructure vms.

q.

They work quite well for that, but be aware that some of the models don't support VT-x and/or aren't on the HCL.
SD6
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6 to Octavean

to Octavean
There seems to be some confusion about CoreM. It is a Core processor redesigned and throttled to have a lower 5W TDW, putting off less heat and allowing mobile devices to be really thin. So its performance is compromised compared to other Cores, though still better than an Atom. It's recommended for large tablets and the new laptops with detachable tablets. Although CoreM is good for some devices, there is no good reason to put it in a NUC, you'd get the compromised performance and the advantages don't relate to a desktop. As it is, I read somewhere that in the retail channels the i5 NUCs are outselling i3 NUCs.

»www.notebookcheck.net/In ··· 0.0.html

ccallana
Huh?
Premium Member
Folsom, CA

ccallana

Premium Member

I actually think they make sense in some version of a NUC - fanless Core performance is desirable for some situations... But you are correct, for many applications, moving up to an i3/i5 is probably the better option.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

Actually, you can still run the mobile i5's fan-less, so even then it's not that great of a criteria. There are a few applications where the CoreM makes sense (Lenovo Yoga, Dell Venue Pro's), but a desktop that is most likely not going to move or run on battery is not one of those applications. The CoreM makes sense when thinness and power savings due to battery operation is required.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to ccallana

MVM

to ccallana
said by ccallana:

Supposedly Apple is using Core M in an upcoming 12" MacBook Air line:

»www.techpowerup.com/2084 ··· e-m.html
quote:
Apple's Next 12-inch MacBook Air to Feature USB 3.1 and Core M

Apple's next entry to its pathbreaking ultra-portable notebook, the MacBook Air, will be a new 12-inch screen size version. As with every new MacBook Air release for the past two years, there's talk of a screen resolution jump to "Retina" standards. Apple is preparing other cutting-edge hardware updates.

To begin with, Apple will tap Intel's latest Core M "Broadwell-U" chip, an SoC that combines a dual-core "Broadwell" CPU with graphics, a dual-channel DDR3L IMC, and system agent onto a single chip, with an overall TDP of 15W. Apple is working on a new fanless cooling system for this chip. The other big feature-set upgrade is the USB 3.1 port, which Intel plans to launch with the system agent for its next processor platform. USB 3.1 doubles bandwidth to 10 Gbps, and steps up power-delivery, letting you charge your portable devices faster.

As well as USB 3.1 support,.....

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

1 recommendation

sk1939

Premium Member

I'm still waiting for another NUC with Thunderbolt support.
SD6
Pittsburgh, PA

SD6 to Octavean

to Octavean
An i7 version has been announced. Assuming it will have Iris graphics, a full performance desktop.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

I'm still waiting for another NUC with Thunderbolt support.

I doubt that will ever happen as thunderbolt seems to have become a failed idea much like firewire.
SD6
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

SD6 to Octavean

to Octavean
arstechnica review

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/ ··· a-box/3/

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to sk1939

MVM

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

They work quite well for that, but be aware that some of the models don't support VT-x and/or aren't on the HCL.

bought one (for now) with the i5-4250u. 16gb of ram. paired with a synology 1815+ with 8x4gb hgst 7200rpm drives. installed esxi from a usb drive, installed on same. running vcenter, two linux vm's, and a win2k12r2 vm (to handle dns and dhcp services from an aging hp laptop). running with next to no load (aside from when i nomachine into the linux hosts) and about 11gb of ram used.
going to end up purchasing another one. for the money ($349 + ~$109 for the ram + $15 for the 16gb usb 3.0 drive) -- you can't beat the performance.

q.