spc
Search similar:

uniqs

FIOSNE
@173.76.87.x

FIOSNE

Anon

Call Blocker

We are getting 10-15 robocalls per days. The No More Robocalls service is stopping most of them. However even with that service there is one ring. Can anybody recommend a call blocking box that works well with Verizon Digital Voice ?

Thanks

hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs

privacycorps has a good one. I think it's on amazon or at their website privacycorps.com

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to FIOSNE

Premium Member

to FIOSNE
"One ring" with nomorobo is necessary because they are effectively "answering" the call when it comes from a known number and then hanging up the line. Simultaneous ring is required for that. I barely notice the "one ring" anymore...and it's amazing at how many calls the service intercepts!
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by buckingham:

"One ring" with nomorobo is necessary because they are effectively "answering" the call when it comes from a known number and then hanging up the line. Simultaneous ring is required for that. I barely notice the "one ring" anymore...and it's amazing at how many calls the service intercepts!

Yep, works great. I have been using NOMOROBO since just after it became available, it sure has handled a bunch of calls for us. I still look at the upper left corner of the TV on that first ring, but then I really enjoy the silence that follows.

JoieD
@64.119.129.x

JoieD to FIOSNE

Anon

to FIOSNE
Highly recommend Digitone Call Blocker. It is a box between incoming jack and the rest of the phone(s). You can set blocked numbers, including wild cards, and can be set to be silent on first ring. Does not rely on simultaneous ring. Nomorobo has advantages, but also some limitations.

Digitone box is standalone.
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

2 edits

fcfc2 to buckingham

to buckingham
I have used the NOMOROBO service for 3-4 months and mostly got the one ring, but recently, I got a new set of Panasonic phones and since I started using them, I no longer get the one ring. Must have something to do with the new phones but I have no idea what it is. I got the one with 5 phones.
Edit: I found the box, it is model #, KX-TGE245
Just looked at the label and it also says "Call Block Up to 250 unwanted numbers", but I never even tried to use that function. I might have to read the manual.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

We use a Panasonic wireless system, too, but do get that one ring.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by buckingham:

We use a Panasonic wireless system, too, but do get that one ring.

Is it possible that you don't get the ring because the Panasonic system actually delays the ringing until the call is verified as not being in it's own block list, during which time NOMOROBO actually blocks the call? This might explain why you don't get the one ring.
fcfc2

fcfc2

said by PJL:

Is it possible that you don't get the ring because the Panasonic system actually delays the ringing

Well I guess I got lucky. I really don't care why it works but I am glad for a little good luck for a change. NOMOROBO worked pretty well by itself, but I just feel like I got nice a little gift.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

TY. I just turned NOMOROBO on and not one minute later call a live telemarketing call, which I then added to the NOMOROBO block list.

FIOSNE
@50.157.241.x

FIOSNE

Anon

How did you add the unwanted number to the nomorerobo list

Thanks

T
snic
join:2009-10-14
usa

snic

said by FIOSNE :

How did you add the unwanted number to the nomorerobo list

By logging in to your nomorobo account and choosing "report a number": »www.nomorobo.com/report

HOWEVER, note that the OP said he got a LIVE telemarketing call. As I understand it, nomorobo is designed only to block robotic calls (robocalls - hence the name).
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Your understanding is not correct. In the drop down there is an option for a "live person" call.
snic
usa

snic

It's confusing because the "Report a Number page" has two options, "A robocall that wasn't blocked" and "A valid number that was blocked incorrectly." But after selecting "robocall that wasn't blocked", several options are listed in the drop-down menu, including live telemarketers, political calls, and charity calls. The question is whether Nomorobo actually blocks these other (non-robo) calls. I couldn't find any information on the website that addresses this question.
fcfc2

fcfc2

said by snic:

The question is whether Nomorobo actually blocks these other (non-robo) calls.

Although it is not specifically addressed, simple logic would dictate that these options will in fact block that number on your account/ phone number, with the exception of "A robocall that wasn't blocked" which will probably be reviewed for possible addition to their "master list" of Robo Callers. If it does nothing which is the other "logical" ? option, then none of the other options make any sense and have no reason for being there in the first place.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to snic

Premium Member

to snic
said by snic:

The question is whether Nomorobo actually blocks these other (non-robo) calls. I couldn't find any information on the website that addresses this question.

They do not block calls that are not considered abusive "commercial" marketing. Political and charity calls, for example, are not likely going to qualify. It shouldn't matter if there is a live person or a recording, however...if the call fits the model, it will be blocked from that number once it's reported and researched.
fcfc2

fcfc2

Hi, I found some interesting reading here: »www.consumerfed.org/issu ··· raud/646
buckingham is correct regarding Political and Charity calls providing they have not farmed out their fund raising to professional telemarketers, still not clear on live calls from telemarketers, but you have the right to tell them to remove you from their lists, and they are still covered by the "Do Not Call" restrictions.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

The Do-not-call restrictions apply to any unsolicited, commercial marketing calls, live or "Memorex". Unless you have an established relationship with a firm, they cannot call you if you are on the DNC listing. Of course, that could mean that that one tiny transaction you had with a firm years ago would technically make it legal to call you. In that case, they must put you on their own DNC listing if you request it. Many firms (and all scammers) still ignore DNC, however...such as the nice folks who just called to ask about my power bill. There is something like an $11,000 fine for each unauthorized call if it can be proven and a conviction made!

DNC doesn't apply to charity or political calls. Yet. That could certainly change, but I doubt it given the former only exists through contributions and the latter is a pet project of the very folks who would need to establish the rule against it.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

PJL to snic

to snic
Of note is the fact that whatever option you choose when reporting a number, the reply notice you get is that the report will be evaluated, whether you reported it as a robocall or a live person call.
It may be that the other categories that are "legal" calls are added to their white list, but I do not know for a fact.

It's only been one day since I implemented Nomorobo, so the jury is still out for me on how effective it will be for me.
fcfc2

fcfc2 to buckingham

to buckingham
A small point legally, the prior business relationship is supposed to have been within the last 18 months. The problem with the "Do Not Call List" is that the only people who respect it are not almost all of the telemarketers who call you. Plus because most of them use bogus caller ID numbers or "not listed", "out of the area", etc. to call you, and most consumers are unable to get through the reporting requirements, a bit of googling will get you the reasons, but one of the real issues is lack of political will to aggressively deal with these folks.
On a more personal positive note, I have been actually reading the manual for my Panasonic phone system and the mystery about not getting that first ring, is that there is a menu item which can enable or disable it. It is enabled by default. I also found you can program it to block all calls which don't give a phone number, which had to be enabled.
If any of you folks have one of the newer phone/ answering systems, you may want to spend some time checking out the user manuals for possible call blocking features.
PJL
Long Beach, CA

PJL

It sounds like your unit is working well and fairly versatile. Too bad it isn't sold with just the blocking unit. I have a six-set AT&T that I can't justify replacing and don't need the extra phones.
fcfc2

fcfc2

Well, I lucked out on this one, but check your user manual just in case. I had no clue as I just wanted a 5 phone system and this was up on Newegg for $79.95 a couple of months ago, so I grabbed it. Turns out it was a great deal.
There are seperate blocking units out there, "CPR CallBlocker" is one that I recall got some decent reviews, but they seem to cost more than this whole phone system.
RetiredInFL
join:2002-11-04
The Villages, FL

RetiredInFL to FIOSNE

to FIOSNE
NOMOROBO is 100% useless for me. I get 3-5 calls a day and they are always using spoofed or stolen phone numbers. These number are NEVER on the reject list and adding them is meaningless.

I get probably 10 calls a week from "Credit Card Services" alone and EVERY LAST CALL is a different number. I have even got calls from MY OWN number!! There is no way they can deal with that type of issue (spoofed caller-ID).

My voip provider has a reject blacklist which works great with unlimited numbers, even wildcards like 201-888-**** which rejects everything from that exchange yet NOTHING stops these calls. Day and night, never ending. On top of that, my FIOS number which I NEVER use was owned previously by someone with (putting it mildly) credit issues. Since it is connected to a rarely used FAX machine I can hear it ringing all day. I've answered a couple calls and it's always some sort of collection agency type of call. I keep telling them the guy they want has passed away but that never helps.
fcfc2

2 edits

fcfc2

Hi MisterEd,
My best guess is that NOMOROBO is probably reducing the number of bothersome calls you are getting, assuming you are using it on both numbers. You might want to check with your VOIP provider to see if there is any way to silence that first ring and check the manual for your fax machine for the same thing or to see if you can silence the ring on that all together. Also check with your VOIP provider to see about blocking all of the "out of area and no number" type of calls.
I don't know how "locked in" to your particular number you are, but if it is not a big problem, talk to your VOIP and Verizon about getting a different number and start over with NOMOROBO and the National Do Not Call List, some states also have a state Do Not Call List, use them all.
Talking to debt collectors is useless because deadbeats use the very same words that honest people do, and honest answers sound exactly like what the deadbeats say. Your answering actually encourages them to continue calling. If you want to play games with them, you can try to trick them into giving their name, address and call back numbers and then send them a Cease and Desist letter which is supposed to be effective.
Below are some links which might be helpful but frankly I would see about changing your numbers.
»credit.about.com/od/debt ··· alls.htm

»consumercomplaints.fcc.g ··· all-List

»consumercomplaints.fcc.g ··· obocalls
EDIT: I noted on the FCC page that "prior business relationship calls" are no longer exempted at all.
snic
usa

snic to RetiredInFL

to RetiredInFL
I feel for you, MisterEd. One reason I recently switched to the VOIP provider Callcentric (which doesn't support Nomorobo) is because they offer a service in which calls from numbers that are not in your white list/phone book are answered with a prompt saying "Press [number] to continue." If the caller doesn't press the number, the call goes to an error message and your phone doesn't ring. Since most telemarketers don't connect the call with a human until someone answers, this should prevent them from getting through. I'm not yet sure whether it works yet, though, as it's only been a few days and all the telemarketer calls I've received have been from numbers already in my blacklist (which are automatically routed to the error message).
RetiredInFL
The Villages, FL

RetiredInFL to fcfc2

to fcfc2
@fcfc2: I think you are missing the point of my message. There is NOMOWAY that NOMOROBO is able to deal with randomly generated spoofed caller ID's. In order for NMR to function it must have the phone number in it's database. Since 90% of the calls I get are spoofed caller ID's there is no way NMR can be effective.

Example: I get 10-12 calls a week on my primary line from "RACHEL at CREDIT CARD SERVICES" (Google them) who, according to many articles on the web generate over 5 BILLION (with a B) calls a year. I get these calls on my 2nd line as well as my unused Fios line and even my cell phone. EVERY CALL is from a different numbers. I get the same thing from chimney sweeps, pain control centers and numerous other entities. There is NO WAY NMR can deal with these.

As for DNC lists. I've been on them since their invention. It was pure quiet the first few years and then the callers discovered the spoofed ID services. You can use those services yourself and generate ANY caller ID you want, even the people you are calling or the FBI or CIA's numbers. The LEGIT companies do get blocked by DNC or NMR but the spammers just skirt around it with call spoofing. Call spoofing can fun, I use it to call friends and family sometimes just to bust their chops.

The only way to stop these calls (in my case anyway) is to get an intercept box which requires a code to get past either being dumped or sent to VM. Changing my number might help for a week or a month but eventually it will be the same.

NMR is great for folks who get "legit" calls from KNOWN annoying places. The calls I want to stop aren't those type. DNC has ALWAYS, from day 1 excluded people you have had "previous relations with", it excludes political calls, it excludes religious organizations and on and on. But THEY aren't my problem. The spam callers have beaten that technology with the spoofed CID.

It's got to the point now where, when I am around and have nothing else to do I take the calls and have fun with them (I have my wife literally ROTFL when I decide to do it). I love to waste their time. I make appointments for them at an address that is a police station or even the local FBI office.

There is NO WAY to stop these calls. With NMR on or OFF my junk calls don't change. As far as changing my number (which I have had for almost 60 years) if I do that, then THEY WIN. Just like what happened with the SONY breach and "The Interview" movie.
RetiredInFL

RetiredInFL to snic

to snic
said by snic:

I feel for you, MisterEd. One reason I recently switched to the VOIP provider Callcentric (which doesn't support Nomorobo) is because they offer a service in which calls from numbers that are not in your white list/phone book are answered with a prompt saying "Press [number] to continue." If the caller doesn't press the number, the call goes to an error message and your phone doesn't ring. Since most telemarketers don't connect the call with a human until someone answers, this should prevent them from getting through. I'm not yet sure whether it works yet, though, as it's only been a few days and all the telemarketer calls I've received have been from numbers already in my blacklist (which are automatically routed to the error message).

That is exactly what I want. In fact there is a device sold that does just that for around $40 on Amazon and it does work. The only problem with that device is when your white list calls come through the box rings and not your phones so if you are up or down stairs you easily could miss the call.

Your service sounds perfect BUT the problem with that TYPE of service is you can't possibly put all the calls in whitelist you need (because you don't know them!). For example, I have very elderly parents (mid 90's) and if something should happen and the police where they live calls or the hospital calls I would never get the call.
snic
usa

snic to RetiredInFL

to RetiredInFL
said by RetiredInFL:

when I am around and have nothing else to do I take the calls and have fun with them

Not a good move. If you do that, it just tells them there's someone at your number willing to answer the phone. They put you on a list of known phone-answerers and sell it. Everyone gets spam from marketers that use random numbers. But judging from the fact that some people seem to get a lot more spam calls than others, I deduce that once you get on these lists, you'll get a lot more calls.

The policy in my house is: never, ever answer the phone unless it's from a known number. If it's an unknown number and it's someone who has legitimate business with us, they'll leave a message (and because we use an answering machine instead of voicemail, we hear the message and can answer if we recognize the caller).
snic

snic to RetiredInFL

to RetiredInFL
said by RetiredInFL:

I have very elderly parents (mid 90's) and if something should happen and the police where they live calls or the hospital calls I would never get the call.

You'd get the call if the caller pressed the number to get through. Admittedly, elderly people might have a problem with understanding what to do, but they will typically call from their own number, which will be on your whitelist. And if the police or hospital call, presumably they will press the number - why wouldn't they?
RetiredInFL
The Villages, FL

RetiredInFL to snic

to snic
It's way too late for that to make a difference. Also, if your VM picks up it still tells them someone is there. Now, I am just having fun. May as well have some fun at their expense because for them "time is money" and I sometimes keep them on the phone for a long time. Some real men read the sports section while taking a dump, now I take a dump on these callers when I have some "down" time.
said by snic:

said by RetiredInFL:

when I am around and have nothing else to do I take the calls and have fun with them

Not a good move. If you do that, it just tells them there's someone at your number willing to answer the phone. They put you on a list of known phone-answerers and sell it. Everyone gets spam from marketers that use random numbers. But judging from the fact that some people seem to get a lot more spam calls than others, I deduce that once you get on these lists, you'll get a lot more calls.

The policy in my house is: never, ever answer the phone unless it's from a known number. If it's an unknown number and it's someone who has legitimate business with us, they'll leave a message (and because we use an answering machine instead of voicemail, we hear the message and can answer if we recognize the caller).