spc
Search similar:

uniqs
danielR8
join:2014-12-15

danielR8

assistance with new modem-router buy

hello everyone,
i've been having problems with setting a WRT54G Linksys wireless router.
i'm using a TP-LINK 8816 modem, which works ok (LAN coble to pc connected], and Teksavvy [TS] people was instrumental in helping me set it up.
so, the purpose of this note is to request opinions / recommendations / warnings? about the TP-LINK 8961ND , which is a combo modem + 4 ports router. seems an economical fit for what i need:
my Ts plan is 7 / 1; not very ambitious in term of of speed, precisely.
any assistance will be kindly appreciated.
TIA,

danielR
DigitalRain
join:2013-03-16

DigitalRain

said by danielR8:

hello everyone,
i've been having problems with setting a WRT54G Linksys wireless router.
i'm using a TP-LINK 8816 modem, which works ok (LAN coble to pc connected], and Teksavvy [TS] people was instrumental in helping me set it up.
so, the purpose of this note is to request opinions / recommendations / warnings? about the TP-LINK 8961ND , which is a combo modem + 4 ports router. seems an economical fit for what i need:
my Ts plan is 7 / 1; not very ambitious in term of of speed, precisely.
any assistance will be kindly appreciated.
TIA,

danielR

Should be more than adequate for that connection, especially in a small home or an apartment/condo.

Before writing off your WRT54G, what's happening with it? They've been around over a decade, but they're pretty durable. If you're having trouble getting online, try accessing the interface (default is 192.168.1.1) and changing its IP to something like 192.168.5.1 so that it doesn't have the same address as your 8816. Beyond that, if it's dead, it's dead.

demez
@69.196.186.x

demez to danielR8

Anon

to danielR8
I would stay away from the combo modem, they're not very good. Are you planning on upgrading your internet speed any time soon? Also what is your budget? TP-Link make very good budget equipment, you get a lot of bang for your buck. I'd personally recommend you get something more future proof, like the TP-Link AC750 Archer C2, or if you can wait to see what sort of deals will be going on for boxing day, they might have the AC1750 Archer C7 on sale again for Boxing Day, that was going for $75-80 during Black Friday. Both are pretty solid routers that should handle your needs.

What sort of problems have you been having with your current router? Constant drops?

Just2bSure
@184.171.211.x

Just2bSure to danielR8

Anon

to danielR8
Just a small warning...
- the TP-Link TD-8816 is already a Modem/Router
- the TP-Link TD-8616 is a Modem only

Many people mix these TD-8x16 model numbers up.

Be sure you know what mode your 8816 is already in (how TSI had you set it up).

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

We use the TP-LINK 8961ND exclusively for customers. Great modem/router for the non teksavvy (all my customers).

Quirks: Depending on the firmware, the WAN side was open to the web admin, allowing anyone to login with the default username/password.

It also has some weird SIP ALG helper that really messes up VOIP ATAs, no way to disable it that I found. Had to use a different router/modem for customers that were signing up with our VoIP service as well.