spc
Search similar:

uniqs
briand805
join:2002-10-05
Rockaway Beach, MO

briand805

strange phone issue.

We recently signed up for the triple play which includes phone. The tech came out and replaced our old modem with a Cisco DPC3216. He hooked up his phone and said everything was good to go. We didn't bother hooking up the land line until last week. Thats when i noticed we had no phone service, the light aren't lit no dial tone.

I proceeded to do trouble shooting and called charter. The automated service said it couldn't ping the modem and reset it. However the internet works fine. Resetting the modem didn't work. The tech on the phone said he could call the line fine. I figured it might be the phone so today I hooked up a new one. Still nothing and the automated service said once again it couldn't ping the modem and reset it. The tech told me every thing looked fine on their end and scheduled a truck roll.

Here is the strange part i logged into charter.net and noticed several calls a day for the last month to 760-322-0245 from our home even though no phone is hooked up and the phone service is dead on our end. Some of these calls are nearly a minute in duration. This number says it is out of service when called. Also when i call my number it says the line is busy.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

I don't have the same model combo phone/internet modem that you have but my modem does have two phone jacks in it. If yours has more than one, have you tried the other one?
briand805
Rockaway Beach, MO

briand805

ya it has two ports line one and two. ive tried both and a new cord. the manual says the light supposed to be lit. then flicker when in use.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to briand805

Premium Member

to briand805
Ok, can you access the modems setup web page? If so, if you can access the Event Logs, see if you can find any entries for a "packet cable" device which is the phone part of the combo modem.
briand805
Rockaway Beach, MO

briand805

no it doesn't have event logs unless you have the password.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to briand805

Premium Member

to briand805
I have no info for your make/model modem. Perhaps in the morning (or whenever) you can check out this location; 16117 Main St, Hesperia, CA 92345. It may be the local office for your area. If so, it might be better to try and deal with them directly rather than the National phone system droids.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to aguen

to aguen
No event logs. DPC3216 is locked down and NO ONE knows the password.
said by aguen:

Ok, can you access the modems setup web page? If so, if you can access the Event Logs, see if you can find any entries for a "packet cable" device which is the phone part of the combo modem.

compuguybna

compuguybna to briand805

to briand805
On the DPC3216, only the TOP phone jack is functional.
compuguybna

compuguybna to briand805

to briand805

dpc 3216

TEL1 light is solid then turns to blinking when phone is in use.

defiant
Former Charter lackey
join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

defiant to briand805

to briand805

Re: strange phone issue.

Sounds like the phone number isn't provisioned properly.
briand805
Rockaway Beach, MO

briand805

well the tech came out had no explanation as to how the phone could be dialing out with no phone attached. he cleaned up the wiring at the box and put in two new modems. one for the internet and one for the phone. Said that they have to do that some times. the new internet modem is a DPC3208 and only has 8 channel bonding not sure if that matters. everything seems to be working fine.
Strange Data
join:2012-08-25
·US Internet

Strange Data to defiant

to defiant
said by defiant:

Sounds like the phone number isn't provisioned properly.

This. It sounds like the MTA isn't provisioned at all, and the OP's phone number is provisioned to a box that the neighbor has.