uniqs
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Skype's newest app will translate speech in near-real time

....Skype Translator Preview works on Windows 8.1 or preview copies of Windows 10, and it works by translating voice input from an English or Spanish speaker into text and translated audio....

....While tests and demonstrations have been in limited and controlled experiments, Microsoft’s move today opens up its Skype Translator to a much wider audience to test it in the real world....

»www.theverge.com/2014/12 ··· features

Qapla' !
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

It seems you need to register and be accepted to use this. Since I'm not, I tried to approximate how well it would work by using Windows 7's speech recognition. Language translation has improved significantly over the years, but I'm not sure if the same can be said for speech recognition. I made five attempts, starting with normal speech, and speaking slower and more clearly each time.

Whatever the king and fury I have trouble believing that with IE Technology Company practical you

While not admitting and fury I have trouble believing that with the technology you have any practical you

While the lightning him Thierry I have trouble believing that with the technology you have any practical you

While Dr. Victor union Thierry I have trouble believing that would be acknowledging it have any practical you

While Mac U8 pointing me in your EI how global believing that would be acknowledged E you have any practical you

Then, for amusement, I decided to use Google's voice recognition demo to record the same phrase:

While that is exciting in theory I have trouble believing that with today's technology it has any practical use

Google understood me perfectly on the first try. Colour me impressed.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Personally I don't care much about the technology, helping them (corporations like MS and Google and/or perhaps some 3 letter agencies) to collect data from my calls in text, format. So it'd be easier for them to store and search for specific words in all my conversations later on. But I'd appreciate if someone finally developed a text recognition software that would help me to read that fu**g captcha, some web sites are pushing on me... That would be actually useful to automate

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

1 recommendation

cb14 to Mango

to Mango
said by Mango:

I Language translation has improved significantly over the years, ...

It has, but it is still light years away from perfect. It may work for dry scientific or technical texts but even here live human editing is really necessary. For anything else it sucks. Better than nothing which is a great progress indeed compared to 10 years ago when it was worse than nothing.