spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Inspector
join:2000-09-27
Shrewsbury, MA

Inspector

Connecting soundbar to TV question

I have a Pioneer Plasma TV, Model PDP-4340. I have HDMI connection from an Explorer 8300HD cable box to the TV’s A/V box on Input 1. I purchased a Vizio S3821W soundbar to connect to the TV. If I connect the soundbar directly to the TV’s A/V box using Digital Optical, I got no sound through the soundbar, only through the TV’s speakers. If I connect the soundbar using Digital Optical directly to the cable box, the soundbar works so all is well and good. However, when using my Roku which is connected directly to the TV via HDMI on Input 3, I get no sound from the soundbar, rather only from the TV speakers.
Does anyone have a suggestion as a setup that would allow sound from the soundbar on all inputs? There is no setting in my TV menu to disable it’s speakers (these speakers attach to the TV and are connected to the TV by speaker wires. I haven't tried to physically detach theses speakers as I did not think that would matter)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

1 edit

Hard Harry7

You probably want to focus on getting the digital optical output to work directly to the TV. Looks like the Explorer 8300HD defaults audio via digital by Dolby, and your TV is set to PCM. See page 69 of TV manual to change audio to Dolby.

»www.cisco.com/web/consum ··· 4007.pdf

And see page 7 of cable box manual for more info on HDMI output

»www.pioneerelectronics.c ··· -Eng.pdf

Inspector
Shrewsbury, MA

Inspector

I did try both PCM and Dolby Digital settings on the TV, but neither worked. I've gone through all the TV menu setting that I could find and I can't understand why this doesn't work when connected directly to the TV. It almost seems like the HDMI connection from the cable box is overriding this or something.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Inspector

Inspector

Well this is a bummer...I just read this on another site in searching for an answer to my problem. This is supposedly directly from Pioneer.

"This is a copy protection issue. There is no output from the digital(optical) or analog output from the media receiver when using HDMI."

I could use component to connect my cable box, but no such option for the Roku unless I purchase special cables. Oh well....

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to Inspector

to Inspector
Well you know the cable box is output sound via the digital optical, because it works connected directly to the sound bar. The problem seems to be the TV's digital output doesn't work. To test this, try Roku > HDMI > TV > Digital Audio > Soundbar. If that also doesn't work, sounds like a issue with digital out.

I just see you wrote a reply as I typed this. I did not notice at first the TV has a external proprietary media center...that sucks. They don't passthrough the HDCP signal it looks like. But that wouldn't explain why analog audio out wouldn't work. Odd
BoulderHill1
join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL

BoulderHill1 to Inspector

to Inspector
said by Inspector:

"This is a copy protection issue. There is no output from the digital(optical) or analog output from the media receiver when using HDMI."

This is exactly your problem.

It is to be in compliance with provisions of the DMCA law.

Basically, digital audio signals received into the TV via an HDMI cannot be then "passed through" the TV and sent out over the optical output.

The only digital signals that will come out of the optical are those that originate with the TV's internal tuner.

Is this a possible option for you..........

Connect the cable box to the sound bar as you have using the optical connection then

connect the ROKU to the sound bar using either the COAX digital connection or one of the AUX inputs similar to what is on page 16 of the user guide.

When you switch between cable or ROKU you will need to select the appropriate input on the soundbar.

Video for each of these would remain as HDMI from the respective device straight to the TV.

bryank
join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

bryank to Inspector

to Inspector
I had this EXACT same problem with my Pioneer Elite when hooking up my Sonos soundbar to it, so I had to get a new TV! But in your case, you can possibly use an analog audio out of the media box to the soundbar instead of optical. I know not ideal, but beats having to buy a new TV.

Looking in the manual, there is a 'MONITOR OUT' analog output on the Pioneer media box that you can connect to the soundbar and then set the soundbar to AUX2.

Inspector
Shrewsbury, MA

Inspector

Thanks to both of you for these additional suggestions. I will try them out this weekend.
Thanks again!