All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ob1100
@99.60.84.x

ob1100

Anon

Uverse throttling during prime time CST ??

I have uverse 45mbps. I have my streaming home movies and videos I share with brothers/sisters via plex on a vps 91.121.X.X box. All of the families that are on comcast have no problem streaming. Everyone on uverse gets there stream capped during prime time to the server to about 825kbps.

I setup vpn on my pc and created a tunnel to the server. Hard coded my plex server in my roku device to point to my local pc (that has the tunnel). Tested in prime time and I have no problem with speed through the tunnel. I drop the tunnel and reset roku/plex back to normal and again buffering 825kbps max.

I have no problem creating a tunnel on my end but trying to show non technical users (brother) how to set this up is next to impossible. I have spent some time trying to explain to uverse helpdesk support but it seems to be a lost cause.

I have no problem with netflix/amazon/huluplus

My theory is uverse sniffs the traffic sees content as video see's it is not on the list of prime ip/segments drops it to low priority during prime time and walla endless buffering. When a VPN tunnel is created it can't be sniffed so it can't be prioritized so it is sent at full speed.

Anyone else having the same slow speeds if you have setup a vps video streaming server?

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis

Mod

Sounds a lot more like a saturated upstream peering point honestly.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to ob1100

MVM

to ob1100
said by ob1100 :

My theory is uverse sniffs the traffic sees content as video see's it is not on the list of prime ip/segments drops it to low priority during prime time and walla endless buffering. When a VPN tunnel is created it can't be sniffed so it can't be prioritized so it is sent at full speed.

A VPN also takes a different route. I see similar with YouTube and IPv6 tunnels (unlike VPNs, traffic in those tunnels can be "sniffed").

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to ob1100

Premium Member

to ob1100
Is the VPN something you setup on the VPS or is with a VPN provider?

ob1100
@99.60.84.x

ob1100

Anon

I setup point to point (no provider in between).