Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

1 recommendation

linicx

Premium Member

Choice?

Karl, ya gotta be kidding. Broadband choice where I live in rural America is a duopoly of phone companies that operate out of the same office and share the same fiber. One pretends to offer a wireline whilst the other pretends to offer cable. Both are expensive. Both have terrible service and simply awful products.

I don't know who these ISPs are kidding, but they are not kidding the rest of us.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Karl was being somewhat sarcastic, also note the word "dont have many" which implies 2 or no choice.

I have the lovely choice of Verizon trashbag DSL 3-5mbps out of 2000, or Comcast's HFC offering at speeds of up to 150mbps. The VZ DSL costs the same as 25mbps from Comcast.

Yeah...about choice...
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q

Premium Member

Yes but does the DSL come with a cap? Sorry I'd rather have 5Mbps unlimited over 150Mbps with a 300GB cap any day...
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

I've gone over the 250GB "cap" 2 months in a row without a peep or any extra charges.

When they actually start charging or hassling me is when I'll actually worry about it.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx to mmay149q

Premium Member

to mmay149q
The cap is suspended in our area due to the headend competing with FIOS.
I have nothing to worry about.

My monthly usage is only around 120-150gb anyways, and that's with watching movies on Netflix.

The DSL comes with unmaintained copper, trash bag splices, and water ingress.
Back when I had DSL I never saw more than 3mbps, now they claim the line can do 5...but I will believe it when I see it.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I must be extrememly lucky then. I'm moving sideways between two bottom feeder phone companies. Meh. My reward is the same cable mess in a house 60 years older than the one I currently own. I will no doubt be kicking myself when I lose my uncapped and unlimited 10/1 DSL. Maybe not.

Yeah, Karl is cheeky.
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
I'm sorry, but I just have to say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA at DSL thinking it can compete with FiOS...............

No disrespect, just that's how stupid I find the idea....

I feel sorry for y'all, and I hope y'all can get something better soon!

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Headend is Comcast's building - its like a Central Office but for a much larger area, its where the fiber from all the nodes terminates. I do not think DSL competes with FIOS, far from it!

Comcast is ready to compete though. 16 channel bonding, 860mhz plant with high ratio of node splits to customers (55 customers to 1 node avg.).

VZ does not compete with itself with FIOS. There is NO FIOS in my town outside of one small subdivision, but the CO in town is equipped for FIOS and feeds it to the western half of the wirecenter.

So Comcast's plant is in really good shape, ready for (if) VZ's build.