spc
Search similar:

uniqs
pokeefe0001
join:2014-10-31
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

Accessing DSL modem admin function when in bridged mode

I've seen dozens of (conflicting) posts on the web - some on DSLReports - attempting to address problem of accessing an ADSL modem's admin function when the modem is in "bridged mode" with the PPPoE or PPPoA function is being performed by a separate router. All are either convoluted solutions that work in a very limited set of circumstances, or for a single model of router or modem, or end with "It can't be done". Did I miss a definitive answer?

If it can't be done, is there to have an external router downstream from a modem/router combination?

I need better wireless access point than is available in a modem/router combo, but I would like access to the DSL stats. I am at the long, dirty phone (over 12,000 feet from the DSLAM) with terrible SNR. I would like access to the SNR and error correction stats even if I can't do anything about them.
mrhoogles
join:2012-03-02
Silverhill, AL

1 recommendation

mrhoogles

in dd-wrt you can do this:

»www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/inde ··· guration
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

1 edit

pokeefe0001

As near as I can tell, my ASUS RT-N56U router does not support DD-WRT, but that may not be current information. It does, apparently, support OpenWRT, but I don't know if OpenWRT has the function I want. And I'm not really technically savvy enough (or brave enough) to try 3rd party firmware without a LOT of hand-holding.

Update: It looks like Padavan have a RT-N56U firmware - multiple versions with differing capabilities. But I don't know what functions are needed for the capability I'm looking for. I assume it has something to do with using the same ethernet interface for both PPPoE and regular ethernet traffic, but I have no idea what that support is called.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to pokeefe0001

MVM

to pokeefe0001
I don't have a PPPoE connection (I have a /32 static IP address), but I can't reach my modem through my router, either. What I did was place a cheap, 5-port switch right after the modem. One port for the modem, one port for the router, and one port for a computer with two Ethernet adapters. The wired adapter can reach the modem for the line stats, but can't reach the Internet. The wireless adapter reaches the Internet.

pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

When I said "... a very limited set of circumstances" I was including "a computer with two Ethernet adapters". My PC has just one Ethernet adapter. I guess I could get a USB Ethernet adapter and another Ethernet switch. This is beginning to get a bit of a kludge, but it's certainly a low-tech solution I'm cable of handling. I'll consider it if there is no other solution. (For all I know, my RT-N56U may natively provide a solution, but I can't look it up because I don't know what the solutionm is called.)

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

billaustin

MVM

Most consumer routers only allow one IP address on the WAN interface. That interferes with what you want to do. If your modem has more than one ethernet port, then you can use a USB-to-ethernet adapter to add a second interface to your PC to reach the management interface of the modem. If your modem only has one ethernet port, then you will also need a switch to allow a connection to both the router WAN port and the USB adapter.
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

The USB Ethernet adapter and Ethernet switch solution worked well. My biggest complaint is that I now have another wall wart.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

You have not said what modem you are using. You could upgrade to a newer model that has multiple LAN ports so that the switch is not needed.
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

There's a long tale of owe here, but I'll skip some of the details. I'm using an old (very old!) Actiontec GT701-WG. I had briefly upgraded to an Actiontec C1000A - which has multiple Ethernet ports, but they are on the LAN side of the internal router. However, my already slow speed dropped from about 1.2Mbps with the GT701-WG to .5-.6Mbps with the C1000A. After trying to debug this for a couple months I decided to get and external router to provide reasonable wireless support and temporarily switch back to the GT701-WG.

1.5Mbps is the top speed CenturyLink provides in my neighborhood so I'm soon going to switch to cable for my internet support. Upgrading to a newer DSL modem would just be throwing money away. (Not unlike my buying the C1000A.)
pokeefe0001

pokeefe0001

I just realized my statement "has multiple Ethernet ports, but they are on the LAN side of the internal router" is nonsense. When the C1000A is in bridged mode those ports must be logically connected to the modem.

I'll try a Reset on the C1000A and see if that helps with my speed problem.

neill6705
join:2014-08-09

neill6705 to pokeefe0001

to pokeefe0001
I have a C2000T in bridge mode with port 1 plugged into a port on my Cisco 1841 which performs PPPoE, and port 2 plugged into an access port on my switch which allows me to access the web GUI on my LAN.

So yes, if by "admin function" you mean the web GUI, you can (on the C2000T at least - I would assume the other CL modems behave the same).
pokeefe0001
Seattle, WA

pokeefe0001

Yes, indeed, the multiple Ethernet ports of the C1000A allow me to access the web GUI (what I called the "admin function") while using it as a bridged modem. But I've still go the speed problem. The C1000A reported a downstream speed of about .6Mbps as opposed to the 1.3Mbps my GT701-WG is currently reporting (and that's with a SNR of 6 dB). A Reset did not help the C1000A so I guess I have a bad modem.

I'll live with my GT701-WG and Ethernet switch config until I switch to cable for my internet support.