The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

3 edits

1 recommendation

RolteC

FiOS slow in Richmond Hill, NY and Flushing

Click for full size
For months now, FiOS has been acting up. Random slow downs, packet loss and complete outages lasting sometimes just minutes or seconds. I also learned that everyone in the area is having the exact same issues.

Tonight, its the worst ever. In the last hour, speeds went from usual 60/60 to 20/20 to 10/10 to 4/4 to now 1/.4

My basement tenants see the same on their own FiOS account. My next door neighbor just confirmed the same on this account. I opened a thread with direct as I can't spend time calling.

Who else can confirm just like they did last week in a different thread?! »Re: [Networking] bad Verizon FIOS peering congestion in the northeast U.S.?

The screen shot is my connection in Fresh Meadows, which is unaffected and running like a champ running a ping to two connections in Richmond Hill. My Flushing line is also running slow at 3/20 speeds. I have too many accounts and too many issues.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87

Re: FiOS slow in Richmond Hill, NY

I'm getting 55-60% of my advertised download speed as of this posting although upload is not affected.

a_c
@100.33.3.x

a_c to RolteC

Anon

to RolteC
I'm also in Richmond Hill, NY. Noticed a lot of lag and I am down to 1.5/4.5 for a while now. Normal speeds are 75/75 or above.
RolteC
The Need for Speed
New York, NY

1 edit

RolteC

Re: FiOS slow in Richmond Hill, NY and Flushing

Just tested from my Flushing line. Same issues.
However, my Fresh Meadows account is rock solid as always, 83/91 speeds.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

serge87 to RolteC

to RolteC
I wonder what could be causing these intermittent problems? Local congestion at the PON card level should not be likely since even on 64 users per fiber that still leaves 37 Mbps per user on GPON that would need to be saturated(if split equally).

a_c
@100.33.3.x

a_c to RolteC

Anon

to RolteC
just wanted to report FIOS in Richmond Hill at 83/91 early this morning. looks like whatever the issue was from last night has been resolved
RolteC
The Need for Speed
New York, NY

RolteC

Yes, it always seems to be the case between 6pm and midnight/2am. Then it just starts to get better.

Also, speed tests, pings to the first hop; Direct just gave me the run around.