spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Gnexus01
join:2012-12-05
Waterloo, ON

Gnexus01

Strange pings on Speed Test

I called Tech Support last night, because my pings on speed test where all over the place and the webpages where loading very sluggish like. They would go from 120ms to 700ms at one point. It would literally swing wildly in either direction from speed test to speed test.

After rebooting the modem, that seemed to help with webpages loading little bit. Then I got asked to change the DNS on the Smart RG modem to the Start DNS. That seemed to stabilize the pings for the most part. It would still swing widely occasionally, but overall it was stable. Then around 12am the net got even better and everything was loading as it should, and my pings went down to mid 100's and stayed there.

It does not seem to matter on the length of my Ethernet Cable or the phone cable either. I've tried the cord given to me by the bell guy that my install for the DSL, and I tried two different ones from Canada Computers.

I've also disabled my Anti Virus, and tried the modem in the different location with a couple different Ethernet cables that where shorter and no change. As I type this, my pings on start.speedtest.net vary from 120ms to 300ms with speeds ranging from 38 Mbps to 43 Mbps.

With my Nexus 5 on Wifi on the same test server, I get a range from 23ms -25ms ping with 25.04 Mbps to 31 Mbps down and 10.91 Mbps to 11.03 Mbps UP. I don't know what's going on, but the old saying goes.. If it's not broken, don't fix it!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

If you're getting 100-700ms on your PC, and 23-25ms on your wifi, you likely have a problem with your PC, the router port, or the cable. Generally latency like that indicates you're saturating the upload, but if the wifi on your phone is fine then it points to probably being a physical issue with the wired network within the house.

Gnexus01
Waterloo, ON

Gnexus01

I've tried several different wires, and changed the port on the router with no change in the results. I don't know what could be wrong on the pc ?
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24

how are you testing pings?

are you using the command prompt to ping?
also are you using firefox to do the speed test?
maybe try IE or chrome to speed test you may get better ping results.

Gnexus01
Waterloo, ON

Gnexus01

I was able to isolate the program. I have program on my pc, that was messing with the net. I removed it and my pings dropped down to the 50's.