All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DaveElls
join:2007-06-20
Carthage, TN

DaveElls

[Speed] p2p game downloads/torrents(legit uses)

Still fairly recent comcast subscriber. I currently have the 105 internet in the nashville market. I've noticed when using any torrent technology the download speed gets very limited >2MB/sec and my pings to any servers skyrocket over 1500ms. I have to disable P2P in blizzard downloaders for example.
I don't believe it's related to my own PC, I had no trouble on a fiber optic coop before moving. I have a DPC3939 emta that I'm renting from comcast. I tried putting it in bridge mode and using an old netgear WNDR4000 I had and no change. I'm thinking of trying an older SB6120 I have to see if it's the modem but I'm wondering if this is something comcast is doing. I've heard of the issues in the past with TCP reset packets but I though they were forced to stop that?
DaveElls

DaveElls

oh forgot to mention I did order a TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 when it was on sale the other day, wasn't sure if the router was the cause and seemed like a good choice. I'll get that over the weekend and try it out, just not expecting it to fix the problem
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

quesix to DaveElls

to DaveElls
Dave,
Those results are perfectly normal. Fiber is superior connection. A quick Google search indicates this has been ongoing issue with Blizzard down-loader, and can only be resolved by turning off P2P like you did. In my area i now see >100Mbps (bits not bytes) on direct downloads like Steam/Akamai, which make this use of P2P obsolete.
DaveElls
join:2007-06-20
Carthage, TN

DaveElls

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately it's not just the blizzard downloader, I've had this problem on other uses. The download speed is almost irrelevant (I know P2P isn't always going to be the best), the problem lies in the fact that the connection becomes otherwise unusable. I've had COX before and never had this problem. I've tried limiting transfer rates and reducing connections, none of which makes a difference.
quesix
join:2005-12-19
Cary, IL
ARRIS SB6141
Cisco 2851
Asus RT-AC66

quesix to DaveElls

to DaveElls
Then you probably are not limiting it enough:

105Mbps/10Mbps suggested limits
--------------------------------
5250KBytes/sec Download (40% of 105Mbps)
500KBytes/sec Upload (40% of 10Mbps)
200 connections with consumer grade hardware
and 25 upload slots