uniqs
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ

Adding a gigabit switch to a fast ethernet router

Hi,

Would adding a gigabit switch speed up my local lan transfers or would the fact that the router it's connected to has only 10/100 ports limit the speeds?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

The router will limit the speeds.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

3 recommendations

LLigetfa to OmagicQ

to OmagicQ
Assuming all local devices are connected to the gig switch, LAN transfers do not need to use the router, so the router will not limit the speeds.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter to OmagicQ

Premium Member

to OmagicQ
LAN to LAN transfers would be faster if the switch and attached devices support gigabit speeds, LAN to WAN (internet) speeds would remain the same.

If all your devices only support 100/10 you will not see any change.
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ

So the Lan transfers stays on the switch and don't go through the router? I thought it might all go through the router whether it was lan or internet but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

Yes, it all stays within the switch.

keyboard5684
Sam
join:2001-08-01
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

keyboard5684 to OmagicQ

to OmagicQ
If the LAN devices are in the same switch and on the same IP subnet, then they would not go through the router and therefore be faster. Anything that needs to use the router, say crossing subnets (like going to the internet) would be limited by the slow router link.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall to OmagicQ

MVM

to OmagicQ
How fast is your internet? If it is below 100 meg downstream or upstream, then adding a gigabit switch is the way to go. Especially if you want to speed up traffic between your systems on your network. I have a gigabit switch and a single connection from my router to that switch. I plug all PCs and devices into that switch. I have gigabit on everything now, and only 100 meg to the internet. That is fine though since I only have 50/10 through comcast anyway. If I ever upgraded to 100 meg or higher, then I would need a faster router.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to OmagicQ

Premium Member

to OmagicQ
It depends on the route. Assuming the route of the transfer remains on the gigabit portions yes it will. For a while I just put my entire network on a switch so only internet and wireless traffic went through the actual router.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to OmagicQ

MVM

to OmagicQ
I'd be more interested in knowing what you move across the LAN? If you're talking multigig files 24x7, I'd definately
go a GigE switch. "Typical" home with everyone doing a higher proportion of internet traffic rather than LAN traffic,
GigE switch may not really buy you much.

My 00000010bits

Regards

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

kevinds to OmagicQ

Premium Member

to OmagicQ
said by OmagicQ:

Would adding a gigabit switch speed up my local lan transfers

Because the answers above aren't all answering the question.

Yes, upgrading to a gigabit switch will speed up your LAN transfers, if the hosts (computers/servers/devices) are gigabit capable.

If computer A and B both have gigabit network cards, then yes, attaching A and B to the gigabit switch, files between them will be at gigabit speeds, even if your router and internet connection were dial-up. LAN-to-LAN usually implies the same subnet, so not needing the router to route.

If your computers only have fast Ethernet network cards, then no, it won't speed things up.

JimDandy
@184.154.163.x

JimDandy

Anon

Another scenario where using a gigabyte switch can improve network (LAN) performance, even if you don't have devices with gigabyte NICs is for backbone connections.

Assume your router is in one part of the house and has gigabyte LAN ports and you run an Ethernet cable to another part of your house and attach a gigabyte switch to the other end of the cable. You now have a 1000 Mbps of bandwidth to share among all the devices attaching to the switch. This is ten times the bandwidth of a 10/100 switch so it would eliminate a potential choke point on your network.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Most switches have a backplane big enough to handle all, or most of the port speeds,

An 8 port 10/100 switch can handle each port transferring 200 mbps (100 in 100 out), at the same time

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to OmagicQ

Premium Member

to OmagicQ
Basically yes.
A switch is smart enough to learn which device is plugged into its ports, if the device on port 1 needs to send data to a device on port 3 of the switch that data is sort of routed directly to it.

If you are familiar with the old mechanical POTS system its much like a local call made on a local exchange to a local number, the call isn't routed to the long distance office, it stays on the local exchange. Provide that no one is calling the same number the local exchange switch can support a number of local calls at the same time with no issues.