uniqs

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs

Premium Member

132 Windows 7 Updates

Typically I get 1-4 windows updates a week. So yesterday I get one, the Win7 SP1 update. I install it and all is fine.

Now today a few minutes ago I get the popup saying that I have new windows updates available. I click on the balloon and up comes the update window.

It shows 132 critical updates and 4 optional ones. Does this seem a bit off to anyone? Seems a little excessive for one update cycle.

There's a bunch of server 2008 updates and a ton of win7 security updates. 750+mb worth. I am at a loss as to what to do with this mess.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943

To me, it means you never installed SP1. That is your fault and now you have to catch up. You don't have to install all of them at once. Just check a few at a time.

Eyeballs
Premium Member
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs

Premium Member

Looks installed to me.

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932)

Installation date: %u200E12/%u200E16/%u200E2014 10:55 AM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is a recommended collection of updates and improvements to Windows that are combined into a single installable update. The service pack can help make your computer safer and more reliable. A typical installation will take about 30 minutes to complete, and you will have to restart your computer about halfway through the process.

More information:
»go.microsoft.com/fwlink/ ··· d=206783

Help and Support:
»go.microsoft.com/fwlink/ ··· d=206784
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It was installed yesterday, service pack 1 for Win 7 was released in 2011.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

2 recommendations

dave to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
I think he meant: SP1 has been out for a long time, but for some reason you only just installed it.

There are a lot of updates that (presumably) apply only to SP1 systems, so they're suddenly presented to you, whereas they have actually existed for some time now.

Possibly we're really talking about the Platform Update for Windows 7 SP1, but I suppose the same principle applies.

Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft stopped using these idiotic names? We could use, oh I don't know, version numbers:

7.1 instead of SP1
7.2 instead of Platform Update for SP1 (or 7.1.1 if you really must)

Ken1943
Brighton, CO

2 recommendations

Ken1943 to Eyeballs

to Eyeballs
You are getting post SP1 updates since you just installed SP1 yesterday.

Eyeballs
Premium Member
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs

Premium Member

That's messed up. The update for SP1 just popped up in my updater yesterday. Never before. And I've had this machine for over 3 years now and do regular updates. Guess I have 132 updates to install now.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Maybe its status just changed, from "we think you might need this" to "install it right now damnit". Or however you say that in Windows Update.

I do notice that there's now less than 1 month of non-SP1 Windows 7 mainstream support left on the clock; yesterday was the first Tuesday since that one-month-left line was crossed. Does that mean anything or is this just mumbo-jumbo from me? Don't know.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross to Eyeballs

MVM

to Eyeballs
said by Eyeballs:

That's messed up. The update for SP1 just popped up in my updater yesterday. Never before. And I've had this machine for over 3 years now and do regular updates. Guess I have 132 updates to install now.

Did you 'hide' the SP1 update for some reason once? With RTM support ending soon, maybe MS decided to override that.

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

1 recommendation

gwalk to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
I am in the process of doing a new build of the retail Win7 Ultimate and it took 176 updates of critical and recommended, then after yet another restart ate 19 more !

And I have Hughesnet satellite for an ISP. Got to love those data caps.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

said by gwalk:

I am in the process of doing a new build of the retail Win7 Ultimate and it took 176 updates of critical and recommended, then after yet another restart ate 19 more !

And I have Hughesnet satellite for an ISP. Got to love those data caps.

Maybe go to another place with faster Internet connection to borrow? Bummer that you are stuck on satellite. I'd cry.

I really wished MS would make SP2 with SP1 updates.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

3 recommendations

Dustyn to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
You were getting 1-4 Windows Updates a week? And no Windows 7 Service Pack 1 until yesterday? You are missing a TON of security updates even AFTER installing SP1.
Microsoft definitely needs to release a Service Pack 2. How many Service Packs were released for Windows NT4 and Windows 2000? And Windows 7 only get's one? Pffft.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

said by Dustyn:

You were getting 1-4 Windows Updates a week? And no Windows 7 Service Pack 1 until yesterday? You are missing a TON of security updates even AFTER installing SP1.
Microsoft definitely needs to release a Service Pack 2. How many Service Packs were released for Windows NT4 and Windows 2000? And Windows 7 only get's one? Pffft.

No kidding. MS doesn't want to make a SP2. They want people use to W8! Meh! I guess we could slipstream, but still a pain in the arse.
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

1 edit

scross to Eyeballs

to Eyeballs
In similar situations, I've sometimes had to go through at least three or four update/reboot/check-for-updates-again cycles before I was current with all the Windows updates. And rest assured - even after going through something like that, you will at best be only SLIGHTLY more secure with the most current updates than you were without them. Such is the nature of Windows.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
Just do a batch at a time, spread them out over a couple of days.

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3 to Eyeballs

Anon

to Eyeballs
SP1 was released in 2011 and made a critical update in 2013 -- if you haven't been running 7 SP1 then I can't imagine how much malware is crawling around on your PC. Time to reformat.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Microsoft definitely needs to release a Service Pack 2.

My take on this.

In the early NT days (3.51 & 4.0) not everyone had high-speed internet connections. It therefore made sense to release large Service Packs on floppy/CD (3.51 had 5, 4.0 had 6).

Even with Win2K/WinXP (2K got 4 SP's, XP 3) there were people without constant internet (with dial-up it would've taken a very long time to download a SP).

Nowadays patches can be released (and rereleased ) over time via WU. Why create a 1-2GB SP when you can incrementally release patches?

That said I prefer SP's too. Just save them on CD/DVD and install offline when needed (new machine, reinstall etc).

Eyeballs
Premium Member
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs to OldCableGuy3

Premium Member

to OldCableGuy3
I run regular scans. Nothing ever turned up other than tracking cookies.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Releasing a "service pack" resets the support lifetime clock, so I imagine there is strong product management pressure against a simple SP release that rolls up all fixes to date.

(Aka, who cares about what would help the customers, we have rules!)

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Interestingly Microsoft put out the "Microsoft Windows Security Update CD" in Feb 2004 (I have it) and that includes a bunch of previous Windows Updates for Win98/98SE/ME/2K and XP. They did that (from memory) since Win98 support was ending so updates would no longer be available (you can't get the updates, from MS, for these old OS'es anymore).

I don't think MS has done anything similar for 2K/XP although there are sites on the internet that allow updates to be manually downloaded.

I'm pretty sure the attitude at MS is "unless you're using the latest OS from us you're SOL". Or as you put it "who cares about what would help the customers".
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
What is the best way to integrate updates into W7 Pro setup media?

After restoring laptop to its factory state I see that it gets mew updates day after day... Looking at this long and painful process I've decided to update setup media once and it should include all the known security updates up to this time.

I can get list of updates with this tool - WHDownloader v0.1.0. And currently it offers a lot of W7 x64 post SP1 updates:

1. Do I need all of those updates or I need only updates from the first 3 groups (total = 474 updates).

2. What is the best tool / way to integrate those updates into setup media?

It's important that integration should be done before I create the setup media, not after I run setup in computer. In latter case setup medial could become very bloated (including lot of duplicate files coming form different fixes, while only the last version of files are actually needed) and it will create a lot of unnecessary garbage (left from the installed updates) instead of making clean install...

Thank you in advance!

I don't know what the company, developing Windows OS, is thinking, but IMHO it's absurd to get hundreds of those updates every time I need to re-install Windows OS... Solution should be in integration those fixes into setup media. Thus ... these questions.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs

Similarly, if you install XP and later add SP3 (or even SP2), you suddenly get inundated with over 100 updates which you would not see unless you have added at least SP2.

This is normal, but I cannot say why for sure why you had never been prompted earlier to install SP1 into Win 7.
Davesnothere

3 edits

Davesnothere to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

....I don't think MS has done anything similar for 2K/XP although there are sites on the internet that allow updates to be manually downloaded....

There WAS a site/app called 'AutoPatcher', and it would let me download and store Windows updates offline, and then apply them locally offline to multiple systems.

I used to use it on XP and Win2K.

»www.autopatcher.net/forum/

»autopatcher.net/wiki/ind ··· ain_Page

There are others :

»www.technize.info/5-alte ··· te-site/

Ken1943
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to Eyeballs

to Eyeballs
I have/had a cd each with every 98 and XP update. None for Win 7 although I image the drives every month before update Tuesday. Same with 8.1

OK, could have been a DVD for each.

Blue screens 98 tons...Win XP quite often.....7 very few, greatest ? os....8.1 just a couple and I knew what caused them, the thing is faster than any other Windows so far. Except for the GUI, MS is going in the right direction.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

2 edits

redwolfe_98 to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
eyeballs, over in the microsoft community forum, i saw where some others had the same experience, where windows 7sp1 was being reinstalled on their computers, through "windows updates", and then other updates were also available for installing, after "windows 7sp1" had been installed..

i don't know if that is because microsoft revised the "windows 7sp1" update and, so, it needed to be reinstalled, or if it is because microsoft screwed something up and so the windows 7sp1 update was reinstalled when it shouldn't have been..

i think microsoft needs to start informing people about things, like if they have revised the "windows 7sp1" update and, so, it needs to be reinstalled, or if they screwed up again and, so, the "windows 7sp1" update is being installed when it shouldn't be..

i saw a blog-post, recently (during the last couple of months), where someone said that about 70 updates for windows 7sp1 had been revised and were being offered for reinstalling, through "windows updates"..

my advice would be to just go ahead and install all of the updates that become available..

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3 to Davesnothere

Anon

to Davesnothere
WinToolkit is all you need to update the Windows 7 WIMs on the installation media with patches. I keep all my WIMs up to date every month now for rebuilding client PCs. Installing Win 7 and having to only install .NET and Windows Media Player is awesome.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

1 recommendation

Secyurityet to Eyeballs

Premium Member

to Eyeballs
It is getting very old to have to spend a half hour to an hour installing updates every time I turn my Win7 laptop on...
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Configure it to do the updates at 3AM.

Your laptop ought to support automatic wakeup. Just leave it plugged in.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to Secyurityet

Premium Member

to Secyurityet
said by Secyurityet:

It is getting very old to have to spend a half hour to an hour installing updates every time I turn my Win7 laptop on...

And shutdown. Ugh!
antdude

antdude to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Configure it to do the updates at 3AM...

Annoying if you were in a middle or something, and you passed out at that hour. :P