All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
skidaway
join:2014-12-17
Savannah, GA

skidaway

[CustSvc] What's needed to add an internet package these days?

A quick background. I'm trying to help my father add internet back to his plan, after years of having only TV service. He currently has Digital Preferred TV.

He would like to purchase his own SB 6141 from Best Buy and do the install himself.

We were looking at the offers in our area (Savannah), and the Preferred SurePrice Double Play (Preferred + Blast) at $99.99/mo for 24 mos seems like the best option.

If he purchases the modem locally and orders the plan online from his Comcast account, does he need to do anything other than connect and plug in the modem? How does he communicate that he does not need to rent a modem and has his own? Is there anything else he needs to know?

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex

[CustSvc] Re: What's needed to add an internet package these days?

When you Add to Cart, under the "Customize My Order" it should have the option for you to tick "using your own modem" on there. And if you want to double check, tell the chat agent that you want to use a customer owned modem when you finalized/verify your order.

For first time activation, you would need your account number and go to »www.comcast.com/activate

Another tip: Get them to waive the $15 self-install kit BS fee. If you already have the splitters up and all the connections fitted and ready to go, all they have to do is flip a switch and you have internet. I hate them for charging this.

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to skidaway

Premium Member

to skidaway
said by skidaway:

He would like to purchase his own SB 6141 from Best Buy and do the install himself.

At the risk of being redundant (sorry !), be sure to save that receipt -- forever ! CC has a tendency to "reallocate" customer-owned equipment as theirs and start charging lease fees.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

2 edits

rody_44 to skidaway

Premium Member

to skidaway
Were you logged in and shopping for upgrades or shopping for deals in the area.? Technically that is a new residential customer package. While he is going to be a new internet subscriber he isnt a new residential customer. YMMV, shopping for available plans in your area doesnt always mean you will be eligable for all them deals. Read the restrictions and pick accordingly or call and ask if they will waive restrictions. Generally they wont waive restrictions any longer.
skidaway
Savannah, GA

skidaway

said by rody_44:

Were you logged in and shopping for upgrades or shopping for deals in the area.? Technically that is a new residential customer package.

We were logged into his account, looking at upgrades available to him. Would he be better off calling and speaking to a rep when placing the order? If the rep won't waive restriction, can the retention department handle it?

Thanks for all the responses so far everyone.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

Yes you are better off talking to someone. Especially when you are looking at options that say its for new residential customers and you are not a new customer. I can shop deals in the area and see your promo, but the promo clearly says its for new residential customers in the details. If im properly logged into my account the offer isnt there. Sometimes comcast waives the restriction of being a new customer. Thats going to take a person to do tho and is largely going to be how long its been since he had any promos and if he pays his bill on time.
skidaway
Savannah, GA

skidaway

Thanks rody_44. I'm going to purchase the modem for him today, and he's going to call them tomorrow when I take it to him. He's been a customer forever, since Comcast bought out this area, never missed a payment, etc.

I'll post an update in a couple of days. Thanks again for the advice everyone.
Robyn79
Premium Member
join:2014-12-09

Robyn79 to skidaway

Premium Member

to skidaway

Re: [CustSvc] What's needed to add an internet package these days?

Just FWIW - I've been a CC customer for a really long time. And - a couple of months ago - when I called in with a small problem - I agreed to be transferred to sales to see what was new under the sun. And the sales rep offered me a 12 month promotional package that was technically available only to new customers. I asked about that - and she said provisions like that could be waived. It seemed like a decent deal to me - and I took it. Got a confirmation email a few hours later. So I'd definitely use the phone if I was looking to upgrade my service. BTW - I got the new promo when I was in the second year of a previous 2 year promo. Overall - I don't think any of this is set in stone. It's just kind of luck of the draw. Robyn
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to skidaway

to skidaway
You should always call in for new offers or promotions. Reps in regular troubleshooting/billing etc generally receive a higher commission than in sales because it is not expected. The more commission, obviously more pay, and the agent's skill rating is lowered, (or raised, in a manner of speaking). A skill rating of 1 is the ultimate goal.

If the first rep isn't helpful, no problem, nice end the call and try again. That rep may have a supervisor who will gladly override a promo regulations to meet sales goals for the month. Long time, paying bills customers are extremely valuable.