The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by kkb :

How do you connect a ps3 to a public xfinity hot spot

I am not familiar with the operation of a PS3, but I assume that it has a browser and the ability to select an SSID? If so, just select the xfinitywifi SSID, open the browser to any Internet site, and you should be redirected to an Xfinity WiFi login site. You then just enter your Comcast account credentials (a qualified comcast.net email address and its password) and connect to the Internet. I think that the Comcast account speed tier used for authentication must be at least the "Performance" tier to qualify for "free" xfinitywifi access.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

I don't think he can do it on a ps3, I'll check on mine when I get a sec in a few.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to kkb

to kkb
Did you try and connect to the SSID and then open the browser on the PS3?

kkb
@172.56.2.x

kkb

Anon

The ssid just says xfinity

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by kkb :

It is possible that you are attempting to connect to one of Comcast's commercial strand mounted APs (I haven't seen any in my area to know if they use a different SSID than the residential and small business hosted xfinitywifi hotspots). However, I would expect the login procedure to be the same.

Do you get an Xfinity WiFi logon page when you associate with that SSID and attempt to connect to the Internet? If so, is the page encrypted and have a valid Comcast/Xfinity SSL certificate? The public Comcast/Xfinity WiFi hotspots should be open hotspots that you can associate with without using any kind of WiFi encryption such as WEP or WPA, but you do have to logon to their network using the html logon page.

If you don't see an authentic Xfinity WiFi logon page, or if the AP is using WEP or WPA, then you are trying to connect to a bogus "xfinity" hotspot.

You may find the page below helpful:
»corporate.comcast.com/co ··· ocations

Here is a link to a sub-thread on this site that shows my experience with logging into an xfinitywifi hotspot, and how to check its SSL certificate to verify it is a valid Xfinity WiFi hotspot:
»Re: [WiFi] xfinitywifi security

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

1 recommendation

Krisnatharok to kkb

Premium Member

to kkb
said by kkb :

Could be a fake hotspot designed to harvest Comcast login credentials.

WoofieInPC
Premium Member
join:2009-04-04
Panama City, FL

WoofieInPC to kkb

Premium Member

to kkb
OP, do you have Xfinity? I've never used one of the hotspots, is an account required, or are they for public use?

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

You need an Comcast login with an Internet Plan of Performance or higher to get unlimited uses out of it, Or you get a free 1 hour trial of it.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to WoofieInPC

Premium Member

to WoofieInPC
said by WoofieInPC:

OP, do you have Xfinity? I've never used one of the hotspots, is an account required, or are they for public use?

I am not the OP, but I can answer your question.

Using an xfinitywifi hotspot (and I don't think that is actually what the OP is doing) is free only if you are a Comcast/Xfinity customer with a business class account or at least a "Performance" residential HSI account.

Others may use the network, but only for two one-hour periods -- after that you need to open an account (not free). Official information is available here: »wifi.comcast.com/

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to kkb

to kkb
You can sign into a Xfinity Wifi connection with your Comcast email address as login.