spc
Search similar:

uniqs
starview
join:2014-06-19
USA

starview

[Connectivity] Terrible packet loss/latency at primetime

Every night I'm getting terrible latency and sometimes cable modem reboots. I thought since we were getting the speed upgrade it might have been my old modem (SB6121) so I went out and replaced it with an SB6183 - still having issues.

Have good signal levels on the modem with 8 bonded downstream and 2 up. Good power levels also.

Attached is PingPlotter data. I did try and reboot my equipment that's why it has a couple gaps.

If I could get any help I would love it - the 2 techs that came out had no ideas and the people on the phone can't seem to help.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I know you say your levels are good, but can you post them up.

Do you plot to any other hosts?

How do your speed tests look during these times?
starview
USA

starview

Click for full size
I'm on the 100 down 7 up or whatever it is now plan. Atm I'm getting anywhere from 3-20 down.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Thanks for the numbers. I forget what the SNR numbers should look like.

How about speed tests and whatnot? More plots to different hosts.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Try this host for the heck of it. Seems pretty stable for me most of the time:

speedtest.newark.linode.com

Ping plotter that is, don't let the speed test part fool you.
gatorkram

gatorkram

Premium Member

Here is the page with all their links if you want to trace more:

»www.linode.com/speedtest
starview
USA

starview to gatorkram

to gatorkram

Speed test from 3am on sunday and one done just now.

Let me let this run a few minutes then I'll post the pingplot.
starview

starview

Click for full size
Click for full size
More screenshots, the tracert target you suggested and the WAN quality graphs from my router where you can see the same issue during primetime for the past week, with the worst being tonight.
starview

starview

Click for full size

Here it is going back to normal after prime time. Suddenlink is sending out a tech again tomorrow but I'm pretty sure at this point it's not my equipment or lines that's the problem. The problem is getting them to admit that.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to starview

Premium Member

to starview
Be sure to refer them to this info. It might be useful.

My first guess is very saturated node.

Maybe they can split it.

Good luck, keep us posted.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to starview

Premium Member

to starview
Actually looks like a saturated upstream. Can you verify that these are taken while linked directly to the modem and that you are positive you have nothing using your upstream.

Your signal levels look fine, if anything the upload is just a little low. Is that screenshot taken at the problem time?
starview
USA

starview

Yeah, nothing using the upstream and the screenshots were taken at the time of the problem.

Suddenlink's level 2 tech just left and confirmed that it is an oversaturated node. He said it could be "a few months or maybe less" for them to split the node. At least I have a solid contact now for information.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Hope its sooner than later, keep us posted, good luck.
mtrot
join:2006-03-26
Tyler, TX
Netgear CM600
Netgear R7000

mtrot to starview

to starview
Ever since I've been with Suddenlink, there has always been a slow down at prime time every day. It is better now than it was a couple years ago, but still slower in the evenings than during the day. A couple years ago, service would slow down to a crawl from about 6pm to midnight. I believe they finally admitted the node was full.
starview
USA

starview

Click for full size
Still having issues from about 7-11 PM every night. Called billing to ask for an account credit and was told they can't credit accounts until the problem is fixed. Kind of dumb I have to pay full price for a service I can't use until it's fixed but whatever.

Talked with a plant "supervisor" on 1/8 and he said that the saturated node is scheduled to be split on the 15th. Hopefully that fixes the issue, the internet is un-usable atm.
starview

starview

Click for full size
So suddenlink says that my node had the split on the 16th but I'm still having the same issues with no improvement. The field supervisor I spoke with yesterday claims that they did a head end repair on the 13th and he "doesn't know if that repair was finished". Now they want me to wait for the end of the month and see if it's any better? Freaking awful and it seems like they are just giving me the run around at this point. I've been without proper working internet during the 6-12am time for about 2 months now.

starview

1 edit

starview

Still having issues during the hours of 6-12am. Previously I basically couldn't use the internet during those times, but since the split I can at least pull up websites slowly. Anything that needs decent latency is a no go though (VIOP, skype, gaming, etc). I do remote support in the evenings and I can't use vpns reliably during those times to get any work done.

Finally had a level 2 and level 3 tech out last Thursday at 8pm and they did confirm that the node split has been completed. Talking with some other support people they mentioned that suddenlink tried to source some cheaper parts (for something at the headend?) by shopping a few different vendors. They swapped suppliers and then after their old vendor gave them the price they wanted that swapped back. Now, after all that they can''t get the parts they need to complete the upgrades required. I don't know if that's just hearsay but I've heard something similar group a couple different people now.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------|

|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |

|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |

|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|

|                     pfsense.localdomain -    0 |   70 |   70 |    0 |    0 |    5 |    0 |

|                   No response from host -  100 |   14 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |

| 173-219-236-117-link.sta.suddenlink.net -   11 |   46 |   41 |   10 |  388 | 2068 |  726 |

|  173-219-227-64-link.sta.suddenlink.net -   14 |   43 |   37 |   18 |  279 | 1910 | 1005 |

|  173-219-227-53-link.sta.suddenlink.net -   12 |   45 |   40 |   15 |  439 | 1996 |  237 |

|                           72.14.210.157 -   14 |   43 |   37 |   63 |  437 | 1996 | 1240 |

|                           216.239.47.84 -   11 |   46 |   41 |   12 |  385 | 2310 | 2310 |

|          google-public-dns-a.google.com -   14 |   44 |   38 |   12 |  334 | 1497 | 1361 |

|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

starview

starview

Oh, and I still have not been able to get a credit to my account. The level 3 tech/ supervisor or whatever that came out said that he would get it pushed through, but I still got billed for the full amount. Hopefully they can sort it out since I have kept tons of records during all this.
Lindsey
join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV

Lindsey

you will never get the credit..we where told we would get on years ago and never got it for bad service

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA

moldypickle

Premium Member

The only reference I can find that SL will credit for is actual outages.
starview
USA

starview

said by moldypickle:

The only reference I can find that SL will credit for is actual outages.

I just received full credit for the last two months. So, they do give it out.
Lindsey
join:2008-12-16
Gypsy, WV

Lindsey

wow..thats amazing
starview
USA

starview

Click for full size
This is what I deal with every night. At least I'm getting some account credits until this is fixed. Last I heard it might not be repaired until April. That will be 5 months without useable internet during primetime. I'm not sure how any company would think that's reasonable or ok.

I'm honestly considering moving because of how much this has affected my evening work.