uniqs

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx

Re: Rumor: Verizon Selling Off FL, CA, TX Fixed line Networks?

Unfortunately for Verizon, a spin off requires each states regulatory approval, otherwise they would have done this long ago and then let the spin off go under into bankruptcy. They can only sell to someone willing and with the various states utilities commissions approvals, that means whom ever gets the hot potato needs substantial funds for support and build out.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

If VZ can prove that they wont leave the spun-off ILEC's burdened with the wireless sides debt I would assume the states would approve such a measure. I would hope the -morons- in charge of PUC's and County communications commissions are aware of how VZ cherry picks upgrades and leaves countless people hanging from a trash bag.

Being freed from VZW is the best thing possible for all VZ landline customers.
sonofsmog
join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
Tell that to Frontier customers who got dumped off the of cable that they were happy with.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

I would assume the states would approve such a measure.

Not a chance, that's why the telcos are trying so hard to change the laws which Karl writes about all the time

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

3 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx to sonofsmog

Premium Member

to sonofsmog
Tell this to the people stuck in VZ territory with NOTHING - NO DSL, NO FIOS. They get told to use LTE.

When Frontier and FairPoint rolled around they aggressively deployed DSL in places VZ could give a shit less about. Yeah its not great, but its something.
I am tired of watching VZ use trash bags and electrical tape to "fix" their network. I am tired of their games with cherry picking and random deployment of 21st century service.

Hop in the VZ DSL forum and see how much of it is just problems.
If you have VZ as your ILEC now and you cant get any broadband you never will. If you dont have a Cable MSO at said address with no service from VZ you are royally screwed in the wallet for Satellite or LTE.

Some of these places really are not that rural.

As for VZ/AT&T trying to change the laws, they are trying to change them to kill off POTS at will, not to make an easier sale. Its even worse - watch them yank the wireline infrastructure away from a large chunk of their footprint and say "Cell is good enough "

If VZ wants to pull strings to sell instead of totally destroy, let them. They have enough lobby power, as well as one of the largest in-house legal teams.

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
It'll be interesting to see if they include any of the former GTE/Contel assets in PA in any sales/spinoffs. PA has regulated DSL, and Verizon is currently the only ILEC that hasn't met their deadline of 100% DSL deployment yet. They have until Dec. 31st of this year.

I can't imagine that any of the any ILECs in the state like Frontier or Windstream would want to inherit networks that are currently planned to get DSL - they have obviously not been anticipating having to do that anymore and thus probably don't have money in the budget to continue dropping RTs to serve only dozen of a customers at a time, all by the end of the year.

Verizon still has a bit of work to do in my CO to get DSL deployed everywhere - particularly some areas that don't have cable where people have been clamoring for anything for years.

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

2 recommendations

rtfm

There is no such thing as wireless only.

It's only wireless to the tower, and it's glass or copper from there to the MTSO or whatever they call it now.

The best revenge Fairpoint et. al could get on VZ would be to jack up their backhaul rates to those sites they need the most.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Verizon's wireless back haul isn't part of the CO copper structure, its a separate fiber network, not all owned by VZ, but it has nothing to do with the legacy Pots/Copper infrastructure. For sure VZ would never give that up, just the opposite, there expanding and have the largest back haul network bar none

»www.fiercewireless.com/s ··· 14-10-08

»www22.verizon.com/wholes ··· ieve.jsp

rtfm
Washington, DC

rtfm

said by guppy_fish:

Verizon's wireless back haul isn't part of the CO copper structure, its a separate fiber network.....

Whose poles, whose RoW, whose ducts?

I also suspect the above covers only some of their towers, and they end up renting the rest...

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Exactly, VZW still depends on VZ's ILECs in many places for fiber backhaul - it does not matter who owns the ILEC so long as VZW pays the bills. I bet they would be grandfathered into a wonderful long term contract but still.

It would be awesome revenge for Frontier and Fairpoint to be as horrible as possible to VZW.

rtfm
Washington, DC

rtfm

I suggest they impose a monthly volume cap on each tower....

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to rtfm

Premium Member

to rtfm
Verizon wireless built out their own network, its a private network and has nothing to do with the VZ business / alternet network or the last mile stuff. Yes they have contracts with many other private networks, like L3 and other major carriers, but it separate from the stuff being discussed in this thread

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

It is impossible that VZW has its own network entirely. I have seen VZ ILEC fiber going to cell towers. In more remote localities where VZ is the incumbent ILEC I am sure VZW depends on VZ for backhaul.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

^ so true. In my area it is either VZ or the local cable company. I have followed fiber lines from VZ COs to cell towers, be they VZW or otherwise.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Here is news from the rumor in the front page.
»Verizon CEO Hints At More Wireline Asset Sales [70] comments
mgamer20o0
join:2003-12-01
Norwalk, CA

mgamer20o0 to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

Spinoff! They dont need to sell, just dump all the unwanted CO WC's or whole ILEC operating companies off onto a new corporate entity in a tax-free financial move.

»www.investopedia.com/ter ··· noff.asp

thats what i always thought they should do. now they own the wireless completely just spin the wired to its own company. i think this is the only way upgrades will ever happen is when wirelss and wired are two different companies.
sonofsmog
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
I feel for you, but if it comes down to having my FIOS screwed up (like losing TV!) so someone else in a rural area can get DSL (A me vs them scenario) then I choose me.

Honestly, if you live some place without good broadband and it's a huge priority for you then you should move. One of the reasons I live where I live is BECAUSE of the broadband choices I have.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

And my views on the subject are actually my feelings for the pain of others....my want out of this is for "C&P Telephone of VA dba Verizon Virginia LLC" to deploy FIOS in town here - they are building a doughnut of FIOS out to very rural areas of this CO Wirecenter and ignoring the town which defies density logic that so many here swear is the end-all be-all.

I have dark fiber belonging to VZ in my yard - its been sitting there for nearly 2 decades now doing nothing, put in when the subdivision was built during the hype era of the possibility of TV over ADSL, IFITL, and other dead FTTN technologies of the 90s.

Its quite frustrating to watch VZ contort and bend the franchise agreement to its liking (in my county) and only choose to deploy FTTH to new construction in other places even when the Copper is really end of life in those CO's.

I hear you though, you don't want to loose the great FIOS service you have now. The only loss that could happen is the selection/quality of the TV service as seen in Frontier areas - its too expensive of a product to maintain due to the content providers jacking up rates so much.

sonofsmog
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog

said by Zenit_IIfx:

I hear you though, you don't want to loose the great FIOS service you have now. The only loss that could happen is the selection/quality of the TV service as seen in Frontier areas - its too expensive of a product to maintain due to the content providers jacking up rates so much.

At some point Frontier jacked the prices of cable through the roof to DITCH all of it's cable customers. So were not talking about selection/quality. Were talking basically losing cable period. My choices would be to replace it with vastly inferior TWC, which would mean content protection preventing me from using my Media Center DVR on most channels, or switch back to Satellite which means ditching my WMC DVR entirely.

Not to mention that in most places Frontier doesn't even offer the same FIOS tiers that Verizon is offering, because they never bothered to upgrade to GPON.

That's what the future looks like for Verizon FIOS customers in the hands of much smaller vastly underfunded regional competitors.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco to sonofsmog

Premium Member

to sonofsmog
said by sonofsmog:

I feel for you, but if it comes down to having my FIOS screwed up (like losing TV!) so someone else in a rural area can get DSL (A me vs them scenario) then I choose me.

Honestly, if you live some place without good broadband and it's a huge priority for you then you should move. One of the reasons I live where I live is BECAUSE of the broadband choices I have.

There is a difference between living in an area without good broadband and living in an area without broadband at all.

I don't think you quite understand the implications of people abandoning rural areas and rural areas being left behind urban areas. That just further widens the digital divide and could become a driving force behind several serious economic concerns in the next decade.
sonofsmog
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog

Sounds like a business opportunity for the right company. Like when GTE bought Contel at the time. However, I am sure most of us already enjoying good service would prefer not to have our service suffer at the hands of an under-capitalized ill equipped company just so rural customers can have DSL.

In my estimation they will keep most of their customers in densely populated areas and continue to shed former Contel and the like assets so I am not too worried.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

There is a difference between living in an area without good broadband and living in an area without broadband at all.

I don't think you quite understand the implications of people abandoning rural areas and rural areas being left behind urban areas. That just further widens the digital divide and could become a driving force behind several serious economic concerns in the next decade.

Exactly the thoughts behind PA's universal broadband law. PA has the 3rd highest rural population in the country, and the Dept. of Economic Development saw it as a major problem about 10 years ago.

In my area I saw 4 Verizon bucket trucks doing some kind of work on some lines by a near by RT. They've been working the past two or three weeks there intermittently, but never saw 4 trucks at once! They were up on the pole in 15 degree weather, so they are clearly committed to maintaining the copper lines (or forced to by the state). Many people in the area only have DSL and no cable availability.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Any new rumors about this.

hywd jablome
@verizon.com

hywd jablome to Karl Bode

Anon

to Karl Bode
true

an
@verizon.com

an

Anon

means just rumors

jomech
@myvzw.com

jomech to OpTiC

Anon

to OpTiC
Heard from a pretty reliable source VZ florida is being sold to Century Link. Announcement is suppose to be early next week. I don't know if it's VZB or VZT/fGTE or all of it
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

CenturyLink would make sense....

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

It seem like it does because Frontier is spending their time unscrewing CT. I actually want CL because of the 1 GBPS speed for a Fios replacement.
OpTiC

OpTiC to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
Any news on CA and TX being sold to Century Link. If that happens it's good for consumers.
brutus
join:2003-12-16
Tampa, FL

brutus to OpTiC

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

It seem like it does because Frontier is spending their time unscrewing CT. I actually want CL because of the 1 GBPS speed for a Fios replacement.

Doesn't Century Link have data caps though? I swear I read they did and it was super low unless that was just a rumor.