uniqs

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish

Re: Rumor: Verizon Selling Off FL, CA, TX Fixed line Networks?

Any more news

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

Any more news

Huh?, there never was any news on this, just a rumor

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I hope Verizon sells CA and TX because Verizon is very noncompetitive with TWC.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

And whom ever would buy them would only increase rates to break even .. its a money pit. Not to worry though, this thread has proved nothing is in the works

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

okay but if Verizon be more competitive I rather have Verizon than CL. Lowell retire you don't care about Fios.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

McAdam is 60. Seidenberg is 68.

Will McAdam retire around the same point?

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

We don't know if he retires or not. Verizon just spin off the fix line division and everything will be resolved.
ham3843
join:2015-01-15
USA

ham3843

said by OpTiC :

We don't know if he retires or not. Verizon just spin off the fix line division and everything will be resolved.

Yep, the faster they sell off all long lines (fiber & copper) the more hope we have of the new owner at least having some interest in maintaining them (until they transition to all fiber) instead of letting them further rot

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I want it be be the same with Sprint back in 2006. Sprint spun the dsl to Embarq. Embarq was bought by century link 4 years later.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

3 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
I want the same exact thing to happen as well, in fact I proposed it as a possibility earlier in the thread.

While -some- people here like to deny the fact that VZ is biased to the wireless side, they really are biased. Look at the composition of their management, every single executive has wireless as their alma mater. What they are doing is only in the interest of the core profit center of the company, leaving less but still profitable divisions to die on the vine.

You even see people complaining about FIOS congestion from time to time, its not only DSL and the whole copper network that is suffering from the budget cuts. A lot of the FTTH construction is sloppy as hell and clearly rushed to meet time deadlines and budget restrictions that are probably unrealistic. By tying the fiber to the copper, VZ essentially has made work for themselves in the future once they retire the copper loops. Bell Canada has been making great money by pulling down old copper and recycling it, replacing it with glass. In some cases this procedure partially funds the new infrastructure as copper costs as a metal are up. If VZ wanted to pull down the copper they would have to carefully take down the fiber (hence the generous service loops), cut out the copper and old support wire down, and put up new support wire and re-attach the fiber to it.

The reason they would need to take down the old support wire is that the copper in a lot of places is tied to it so well using metal lashing that it would be a pain to even try to untangle it. In some places you can see where the lashing broke so the cable dangles from the support strand...looks kind of funny actually.

The fact that McAdam announced more budget cuts on the wireline really shows how much they think they can squeeze the pennies. They are already doing the -bare minimum- effort to even keep dialtone on those copper loops, let alone actually maintain and repair the infrastructure on a regular basis. Yes there are spots here and there where VZ has to keep the stuff working right for regulatory reasons but overall the quality of work is shoddy at best.
ham3843
USA

ham3843

Zenit I actually wouldn't mind if Bell Canada bought the entire wireline infrastructure (including VZ, AT&T, Frontier, Fairpoint, CenturyLink, ect) in the USA, and that the FCC would re-regulate the entire wired line (fiber and copper) a la the old Bell System in the USA.

It would greatly streamline the ability to build out an entirely fiber structure in the USA by re implementing the standardized methods that we know are very reliable, durable, and when any damage is done to the fiber lines it will easily be repaired by bringing in all needed crews that might come from outside the impacted area. This in the same vein as we see with the power companies ,and yes the old Ma Bell.

I often visit the Bell Canada forums here on DSLR and they seem to be doing a really nice job with their build outs. Frankly putting the US to shame. Ironic that Bell Canada is the
long lost son of Ma Bell. LOL
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by ham3843:

Ironic that Bell Canada is the
long lost son of Ma Bell. LOL

Fitting though because Alexander G. Bell was as much Canadian as American.

Mahalo
join:2000-12-20
united state

Mahalo to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
Man I love this thread. It is like watching TMZ and Bloomberg at the same time. I also didn't realize how many executives we had of Fortune Top 100 companies that frequent this site.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Any new rumor about this
Expand your moderator at work

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC

said by OpTiC :

Any new rumor about this

No

saint
@verizon.net

saint

Anon

»www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 15-01-08

I think early 2016 will be the year for this to happen

Karl Bode
News Guy
join:2000-03-02

Karl Bode

News Guy

Wall Street Journal says some kind of sale is getting close:

»www.wsj.com/articles/ver ··· 22904953
quote:
Verizon Communications Inc. is close to selling a package of assets including cellphone towers and parts of its wireline business, a group of deals that will bring in more than $10 billion, people familiar with the matter said.

The deals will involve different buyers and could be announced as soon as later this week, the people said. The deals comes as Verizon is working to pay down debt and cover the $10.4 billion in wireless licenses it won in a government auction that closed last week.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

1 edit

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Wow, That could be as much as 1/3rd the foot print based on the 24 Billion Verizon paid to roll it FIOS and chump change for rotting copper left overs

Any free links to the full story?

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
[att=1]

If my local telephone company goes back to being an independent C&P Tel of VA I will be happy.

:P

The $10 billion they blew on spectrum is a big chunk of the FIOS cost. Does anyone else find it interesting that its perfectly OK to spend so much money on spectrum you cant even use right away(more expense of setting up countless towers for it) but a gradual slow upgrade (not $10bil upfront) of the wireline is absolutely forbidden by Wall Street?

Slow returns but a future proof network? No! We absolutely cannot have this!

Epic fast returns on a network that keeps changing every 3 years and has astronomical license costs and the need to totally rebuild the network constantly? (Wireless)
SIGN US UP!
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

3 recommendations

silbaco to Karl Bode

Premium Member

to Karl Bode
Well whoever does buy it won't have any money left over to upgrade any of it. The most likely candidate, Centurylink, should be spending the money they don't have on their existing network anyway.

Be careful what you all wish for. It CAN get worse.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

In Tampabay region this could really only be Centurylink ...

Oh well, all good things must come to an end, I have had FIOS coming up on 7 years, best internet service ever ... I know 2 or 3 three bitch none stop like its Verizon and FIOS is the antichrist , they are not the majority of customer and their experiences

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

FIOS is not the antichrist...its great service and a model for the rest of the ILEC's to follow.

VZ's management, and handling of abandoned customers however is atrocious for customers but not for investors.
said by silbaco:

Be careful what you all wish for. It CAN get worse.

I think we are already past the "it can get worse" with regards to plant maintenance, unfortunately. FIOS construction has become sloppy even.

I mean can it really get worse than a trash bag over a leaky splice case with static on the line?
ham3843
USA

ham3843 to Zenit_IIfx

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

If my local telephone company goes back to being an independent C&P Tel of VA I will be happy.

:P

The $10 billion they blew on spectrum is a big chunk of the FIOS cost. Does anyone else find it interesting that its perfectly OK to spend so much money on spectrum you cant even use right away(more expense of setting up countless towers for it) but a gradual slow upgrade (not $10bil upfront) of the wireline is absolutely forbidden by Wall Street?

Slow returns but a future proof network? No! We absolutely cannot have this!

Epic fast returns on a network that keeps changing every 3 years and has astronomical license costs and the need to totally rebuild the network constantly? (Wireless)
SIGN US UP!

Nicely said, it makes no logical or rational sense, in fact that
kind of mindset appears to be irrational and a form of insanity.

I agree that it would beneficial if the Baby Bells would go back to being independent companies, which focus on serving their regional areas with wired services...perhaps it could be a co-op form of organization amongst the independent wired Baby Bells and others where they stay nominally independent but have certain agreements where they cooperate when there are very expensive projects (building out
new fiber or serious disasters)....
Expand your moderator at work

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to ham3843

Premium Member

to ham3843

If this involves different buyers please I say please don't sell CA to Frontier and Fairpoint.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to ham3843

Premium Member

to ham3843
said by ham3843:

I agree that it would beneficial if the Baby Bells would go back to being independent companies, which focus on serving their regional areas with wired services...perhaps it could be a co-op form of organization amongst the independent wired Baby Bells and others where they stay nominally independent but have certain agreements where they cooperate when there are very expensive projects (building out new fiber or serious disasters)....

That's pretty much what Judge Greene ordered in the 1982 Bell System/AT&T breakup order (that took effect January 1st, 1984).

Seven regional Bell companies, all separate, and they would share in the ownership of an R&D company "Bellcore" (Bell Communications Research) which included some of the original Bell Labs.

But none of them wanted Bellcore which was kicked around like an unwanted stepchild. After a long journey and name changes it ended up being bought by the Swedish company Ericsson.

And as you know (short version), four of the baby bells eventually became the new AT&T, two others eventually became Verizon, and the last one which was the least wanted ended up as part of today's CenturyLink.

The problem, looking back, is that in 1982 no one thought much about cellphones. And NOW it is the orgasm of cellphone revenue that has taken Verizon and AT&T away from giving a hoot in hell about any landline (whether POTS, DSL, or "High Fiber").

The breakup occurred too soon, otherwise it would have split cellphone away from the land.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier

There is a lot of activity at the Frontier building here in downtown Rochester all of a sudden with a lot of executives coming and going in helicopters/limos, etc., between here and Connecticut.

I think it is a safe bet Frontier will probably be a major buyer of the Verizon castoffs, especially in Florida where it already has major assets including a national call center in DeLand. CenturyLink would be the natural buyer of Texas and especially California, but don't underestimate Frontier's appetite to buy buy buy.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by Dampier:

There is a lot of activity at the Frontier building here in downtown Rochester all of a sudden with a lot of executives coming and going in helicopters/limos, etc., between here and Connecticut.

I think it is a safe bet Frontier will probably be a major buyer of the Verizon castoffs, especially in Florida where it already has major assets including a national call center in DeLand. CenturyLink would be the natural buyer of Texas and especially California, but don't underestimate Frontier's appetite to buy buy buy.

I just don't see Frontier buying Fl because of Frontier is unscrewing the CT mess from the AT&T land line purchase
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Dampier

Premium Member

to Dampier
They still have executive presence in Rochester NY?

That's interesting, I thought they moved all HQ functions to Stamford CT.