spc
Search similar:

uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode

Re: Rumor: Verizon Selling Off FL, CA, TX Fixed line Networks?

Verizon has significant assets in California - at least 60 Central Offices in Los Angeles alone.

While today, Fios is the industry standard for service, in another time, before Al Gore invented the internets, "service" from GTE was a curse - in my part of town, we were keenly aware of the border streets dividing central offices and phone companies.

They also took over Contel which served a lot of rural areas - thus, you have FTTH in Lancaster.

Verizon has been offering phenomenally lower rates all year (note, amigos, I said "lower", a term of comparison, not "low"). They either are projecting a seed change ("cord" "cutting"), trying to bolster their take rate, or they read my letters. It can't be good for profits.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Yeah, GTE service (not Contel, actual GTE) was a joke depending on where you lived - to the point that Bell guys apparently refereed to GTE as "Geeheehee".
GTE in Cali bought up many small Mom & Pop systems, I don't recall when this happened but its how GTE came to be in Cali (I think this was shortly before WWII??)

As a result of buying up so many small little barely functional telephone companies, GTE inherited a crap plant and a crap switching facility - they were named "Worst telephone company in California" in 1960 by the state PUC!

Contel VA was pretty good. The plant is neat and well structured - labling on peds is technical and details distance from CO/RT, cable #, and pairs, something Bell really was bad at (the labeling on Bell peds is seemingly random - anything from the nearest address to just a random string probably representing the cable number).

Lots of Contel's plant had the benefit of being young, constructed when VA started to grow rapidly in the 60's and 70's.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

Pennsylvania and Virginia is a former GTE area.

Only some parts.

Bell of Pennsylvania was a direct predecessor to Bell Atlantic and then Verizon. Same as C&P Telephone in Virginia.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to claibourne

Premium Member

to claibourne
said by claibourne:

the old New England Telephone and Telegraph

Massachusetts and Rhode Island not sold (yet).
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

GTE VA is not small by any means! Its about the same size as the Bell footprint!

Geographically yes, but in terms of [population] the Bell/Verizon area is much bigger.

Nice map!
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to elray

to elray
said by elray:

Verizon has significant assets in California - at least 60 Central Offices in Los Angeles alone.

Maybe so, but they closed all the FiOS stores in California sometime ago.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

The Tampa Bay area is the only pocket I'm aware of in Florida that isn't AT&T/Centurylink/Bellsouth.

Here is an official state map of the Florida local phone companies. There are many....

»www.psc.state.fl.us/publ ··· emap.pdf
hubrisnxs
join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA

hubrisnxs to billhere

to billhere
and fl and tx.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by rebus9:

The Tampa Bay area is the only pocket I'm aware of in Florida that isn't AT&T/Centurylink/Bellsouth.

Here is an official state map of the Florida local phone companies. There are many....

Not after the mergers. Centurylink = AT&T, so you can effectively combine the pink and green. That leaves the bulk of the state serviced by AT&T & VZ. There are a few small pockets of Windstream way up in north FL, but those are rural areas. I don't know the telco history up there, but they were probably originally served by Bob's Phone & Bait Company or Wally's Wires & Tires, until they were absorbed by FairPoint and Windstream.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

CenturyLink is not AT&T, CenturyLink (including the former Embarq) is a separate company and is now the 3rd largest POTS company in the US.

It trades as CTL on the New York Stock Exchange.

-----

The map is updated by Florida PUC as of 2014.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
at&t never bought centurylink, no idea where your getting that info

Embarq was Sprint before the name change.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to claibourne

Premium Member

to claibourne
& Ohio I believe. Was GTE & Sprint here at one point.

pjsutton
join:2013-06-25
Kempton, PA

pjsutton to claibourne

to claibourne
Why did GTE and BA merge if they didn't want the GTE territories??

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 edit

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

They did want some GTE territories. VA, FL, CA, TX, and some of GTE PA.

These areas were more affluent and lucrative.

They dumped the rest of GTE and some Bell onto Frontier and Fairpoint some short years after the merger, the areas they dumped were practically
abandoned and rotting excluding Washington and Oregon, both of which got FIOS but then got dumped on Frontier even though they were good enough profit wise for VZ.

BA never intended on keepin all of GTE, right after the sale they dumped some GTE areas onto Alltel.

Keeping the VA GTE markets makes sense as they are physically near the Bell C&P Tel footprint.

If VZ is really sick of wireline we will probably see all of what's left of BA and GTE be freed.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton
said by pjsutton:

Why did GTE and BA merge if they didn't want the GTE territories??

It was a long time ago, in a telecom milieu far away.

-----

In other words, everything changed in the decades since.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

The year 2000 is a "long time ago"? Geez......
tmc8080
join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

tmc8080 to Karl Bode

to Karl Bode
you would think VZ would sell off the lower hanging loss leader geographies. CA, FL and to a lesser extent, TX are still money makers... compared to hemorraging losses taken in MA, WV (didn't I jut see some WV geography get sold without not so much as a whisper from the constituants?) and elsewhere...

still, none of this could possibly get by regulators as they will be watching very closely for these kinds of deals. MEANWHILE, republicans are chomping at the bit to roll back regulation so deals like this are possibly more likley (IRONY, anybody?), BUT don't count out the public backlash/lynchmob factor that scuttled ATT/TMOBILE.. deal

BTW, in brooklyn nearby me, I actually saw them laying NEW fiber optic cable for underground runs.. seemingly to put more FIOS into brooklyn... who knows, one day offer gigabit? nah.. that goes against the grain of charging more and offering less that they love to do with wirele$$ (the big duo probably has a chuckle at the motto "WIRE LE$$, PROFIT MORE")

unless GOOGLE is the buyer.. expect big public backlash.. also, google is not currently known as a reliable voip carrier.. assurances would have to be made on that front UPFRONT
it certainly could give google CARRIER status buying into major markets as opposed to building from scratch. anyway, if true, this could signal a re-arranging the deck chairs on the telco wire-line titanic... then the fed will be hard pressed to find companies to deploy where the telcos surrendered geography to non-competitors. google can't do it all... it neither has the money nor willpower.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

The year 2000 is a "long time ago"? Geez......

In the telecom business, or any other tech business, yes.

100 percent most definitely.

In the year 2000, Bill Clinton was president, the World Trade Center stood tall, the iPod did not exist, nor did camera phones, nor did iTunes, etc, etc.

Amazon was still as much a river as a business.

YouTube came in 2005. The iPhone in 2007.

Kindle in 2008......

Yes, 2000 is ancient history.

In 2000 the POTS telephone business was still of value. Much less so today.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to tmc8080

Premium Member

to tmc8080
If Verizon sells CA, FL, or TX sell it to Century Link. Frontier is the shitiest teleco in US.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

Frontier is the shitiest teleco in US.

I think that they are in a close competition with Fairpoint for that honour.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I still rather have Century link because I know Century Link will deploy 1 GBPS in those area with Fios and upgrade those legacy dsl areas to VDSL up to 100mbps and 50mbps upload

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

3 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx to OpTiC

Premium Member

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

Frontier is the shitiest teleco in US.

said by PX Eliezer1:

close competition with Fairpoint

Your both totally wrong. Windstream is the shittiest telco in the USA, they cant even deliver a 1mbps DSL line without congestion.

Frontier got handed a pile of shit from VZ, same for Fairpoint. Fairpoint ended up in bankruptcy, but they at least have been trying to improve service, deploy more DSL to places VZ ignored for a decade, etc.

VZ deserves the title of worst ILEC outside of the DSL or FIOS areas - you wont get shit from them ever, might as well move if you want hope of internet service.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

Windstream has a very small footprint in PA and they seem to be pretty decent around here. I have friends who get 3 Mbps DSL with an upgrade to 12 if they wanted it.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

1 recommendation

OwlSaver to VEng

Premium Member

to VEng
My first thought was actually Google. Say that the FCC has privately told the major companies that in early 2015, it will bring the Internet under Title II as a Common Carrier. AT&T, Verizon, etc. all fear this - they do not want to be the dumb pipe. But, Google is OK with it because they have services they want to deliver and make money on over a dumb pipe. So, by buying substantial Verizon assets, they can convert everything to Common Carrier status and deliver all services over IP.

I know it sounds crazy, but it just might work.
Expand your moderator at work

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

Zenit_IIfx to pjsutton

Premium Member

to pjsutton

Re: Rumor: Verizon Selling Off FL, CA, TX Fixed line Networks?

They...are lucky. Check out the Windstream forums. Nothing but problems.

pjsutton
Kempton, PA

pjsutton

said by Zenit_IIfx:

They...are lucky. Check out the Windstream forums. Nothing but problems.

Yes, they are! It was a smaller independent Telco that was bought out by Windstream.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
Frontier is worse they fail to deliver 1 mbps even though they pay for 6 mbps. Especially in West Virginia.

»Post your speeds for any time of the day for dsl and fios

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

There is no Frontier in VA outside of 1 CO on the western border with W.VA.

West Virginia and Virginia are two different states.

As for Frontier in W.VA they have had a history of congestion issues, yes. It stems from the fact that there is only one path out of the state...

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

I thought Frontier has system in Virginia.