Search similar:

uniqs

Food4Root
@choopa.net

-1 recommendation

Food4Root to RootWyrm

Anon

to RootWyrm

Re: WOW is Dropping BBC America at the end of the year.

said by RootWyrm:

...I know, because I'm one of the 15/1->15/2's.

Compare this to literally ANY other MSO. And I do mean literally any. Comcast, TWC, Charter, Cox, even MediaCom have given existing users upgrades at absolutely no additional charge. On a regular basis. They also more regularly replace, repair, and upgrade their CMTSes and core.

...if you were a TWC customer with 50/5 in my neighborhood? You would have been automatically upgraded to 100/20 service, no charge.

Why are you still a customer? If TWC offers you more speed and better backend support why are you tormenting yourself with such crappy service?
pparks1
join:2002-01-01
Westland, MI

pparks1

said by Food4Root :

Why are you still a customer? If TWC offers you more speed and better backend support why are you tormenting yourself with such crappy service?

Yeah, I wonder that myself. I have WOW and I'm fine with it. I've elected to stay with my 15/2 because it's fine for me. I play games online, I stream Netflix online, I've got a Roku box and we use Amazon prime video. I'm an IT guy for a living. I had Comcast before (2000-2005) and I absolutely hated talking to customer service. I went with WOW not because they were cheaper, but because they were not Comcast.

Cable tv is just expensive, and with rising costs around the globe, it's only going to get more expensive. You can save money with intro rates, but they will eventually go away. If you can and want to cut cable, that is your best way to save money.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

Cutting the cord because the company is raising rates, cutting channels, adding and increasing their garbage fees, lowering or eliminating longime customer discounts is certainly ones perrogative and based on posts on this forum many are doing it. But staying with the same company that forced you to cancel their video service doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I don't like to give my business to a company that doesn't care about me as a customer.

I can see if it was the only option but in most markets WOW has competition. Going for their promo rates makes sense I suppose but no doubt they will increase them to the point they are as expensive as the competition. And most likely for lower service.

RootWyrm
join:2011-05-09

RootWyrm

said by baess:

I can see if it was the only option but in most markets WOW has competition. Going for their promo rates makes sense I suppose but no doubt they will increase them to the point they are as expensive as the competition. And most likely for lower service.

Except in markets where TWC will be selling the region to Charter and will not be taking it to the Comcast merger. To call that competition is to be ignorant in the extreme. TWC around here has already instituted plant-rot policy. If you're in an area that's going to Charter, WOW doesn't give a shit because they don't have to. They know in 6 months, you'll come crawling back.

Around here, TWC won't even be delivering the promised reconfig to 8x4 that was in progress. All the new STBs already got shipped back out and all the junk leftovers shipped in. These are all things WOW is fully cognizant of and abusing to their advantage.

No amount of bitching is going to make TWC reverse a business decision. These regions are gone, period. Even if you threaten to yank the franchise agreement, they don't care, because in a year or so it's not going to be their problem. WOW on the other hand, has everything to lose when I bring it to the attention of the city council that their offerings are literally the worst in the country, they are a leech on the community that offers no legitimate benefit for residents, and we would be better served throwing them out and inviting Cox in.
Expand your moderator at work
Rusty1701
join:2015-01-23

Rusty1701 to Bismark

to Bismark

I called WOW to complain about the dropping of BBCA. I was told that they would have had to increase our rates by 30-40%! I'm not sure I really buy that.. Its either drop Wow and go with TWC, or no cable at all. I have had TWC before and hated them.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991

No cable at all it is, then.

RogueJawa
join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

RogueJawa to Rusty1701

to Rusty1701
I call BS. 30-40%? If that were the case every provider out there would be dropping them.
RogueJawa

RogueJawa to adam1991

to adam1991
said by adam1991:

No cable at all it is, then.

I haven't noticed much of a difference. If I miss something on the local networks I watch it on Hulu, except CBS of course because they just have to be different. I bought a season pass to Star Wars Rebels on Amazon. I'll do the same for other shows now.

Instead of scrolling through their slow UltraTV interface to figure out what channel full of reruns I want to watch I scroll through a FireTV interface and pick something I haven't seen yet.
Yippee38
join:2014-04-11
Elgin, IL

Yippee38 to Rusty1701

to Rusty1701
On top of the 20% it already went up, eh?

Theresa
@wideopenwest.com

Theresa to Bismark

Anon

to Bismark
hi
I want WOW to know although I have been with you for years I will cancel shortly if BBC America is not put back on it is my one rule the cable I pay for must have BBC period

Samir
join:2010-02-06
Madison, AL

Samir to Bismark

to Bismark
Channel dropping is going to become more and more common as the cable providers try to figure out what their identity will be in the future of televised entertainment that is going to be delivered via IP.

Right now, they're in a hard place, providing the bandwidth that allows people to stream and bypass their bread and butter service--cable television. And with channels now able to stream direct via services like Roku and the like, that changes the whole game.

It's going to take a few years for all this to shake out and stabilize. But in the meantime, it's going to be a rollercoaster ride. I'm glad I stopped watching television (in any form) about 20 years ago.
sothron
join:2015-01-29
Columbus, GA

sothron to Bismark

to Bismark
I am in Columbus, Ga and had been a happy Knology customer since 2004 or so. Ever since WOW bought out Knology the service has dropped in quality and the rates continue to increase.

This dropping of BBCA is just too much. Is there anyone here in the Columbus, Ga area that has experience with Charter? The choices we have in Columbus seem to be Wow, Charter, Mediacom and some AT&T silly bits. I had the misfortune to have Mediacom many years ago and would never go back to them.

So how does Charter compare?

anachrotech
@comcastbusiness.net

anachrotech

Anon

I don't know if there is truth to this so take what you will from it. I called WOW today to inquire about rates for internet/phone or internet only. My thinking was having direct tv or dish for the tv and WOW for internet. After getting my quote, I asked about the possibility of BBC America coming back. I was told that WOW is now currently back in negotiations with BBC because of the number requests (probably cancellations also). I can hope, right?
sothron
Columbus, GA

sothron

I hope you are right and they get BBCA back.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD
Ooma Telo

devolved to anachrotech

to anachrotech
said by anachrotech :

After getting my quote, I asked about the possibility of BBC America coming back. I was told that WOW is now currently back in negotiations with BBC because of the number requests (probably cancellations also).

Great, another price increase.

RogueJawa
join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

RogueJawa to anachrotech

to anachrotech
I don't know that I'd get cable TV back now. I'm starting to get used to watching things on a delay via Hulu or Plex. I guess it would depend on price. I haven't had a problem so far watching Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Instant Video or buying an episode or three once a week of the shows I can't watch otherwise. Which may not happen too much longer because Sling signed that AMC deal and that's going to include BBC America probably in a new add on tier.

Only problem so far with Sling is the lack of VOD/"DVR" functionality for TV streams.
alan92rttt
join:2012-02-27

alan92rttt to anachrotech

to anachrotech
said by anachrotech :

I was told that WOW is now currently back in negotiations with BBC because of the number requests (probably cancellations also).

Has anyone heard any updates on this?

Switching
@wideopenwest.com

Switching

Anon

Went to watch Broadchurch tonight and could not believe we no longer had BBC. Last nail in the coffin of an overpriced lousy offering!
sothron
Columbus, GA

sothron to alan92rttt

to alan92rttt
said by alan92rttt:

said by anachrotech :

I was told that WOW is now currently back in negotiations with BBC because of the number requests (probably cancellations also).

Has anyone heard any updates on this?

I am wondering the same. If WOW gets BBC back I'll keep them. If not then I am moving to Charter.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I bailed on the cretins years ago. I can't fathom anyone staying with them for any reason.
outsider0
join:2002-11-28
Dearborn, MI

1 edit

outsider0 to Bismark

to Bismark
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Being a WOW apologist likely doesn't help anyone's cause except WOW's. Certainly it doesn't help the consumer. There's no way my wife and kids would watch that programming on-line or from some streaming service. They want to sit down, turn the TV on, channel surf, and watch whatever they want on the spur of the moment. If WOW can't deliver that, I'm not sure they should even be a consideration for service.
Expand your moderator at work
alan92rttt
join:2012-02-27

alan92rttt to 67845017

to 67845017

said by 67845017:

I bailed on the cretins years ago. I can't fathom anyone staying with them for any reason.

I have no good options:
1) Comcast. For all of wow's problems this would cost me more
2) Satellite w/ cable for real internet. NO good signtlines last time I had direcTV
3) Cut cord. Not a wife friendly option.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I was being too over broad. You're right. Clearly there will be some reasons/circumstances that forces one to stay.
baess

baess

Saw an article yesterday about cord cutting. It implied that since the cord cutters keep internet and need it for their streaming etc. the companies know this and are starting to raise internet only prices.

They gave an example of someone who had gone internet only but due to the price being raised it was more cost effective to go to a bundle that included cable TV.

Time will tell how this all plays out but after reading how internet only users use so much more bandwith than cable/internet customers I don't see why they shouldn't pay their fair share.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

1 edit

bdnhsv

Everyone is already paying their fair share - and then some. The profit margin for a decent sized ISP like WOW is around 85% for residential cable modem service - higher for the bigger guys since they own their backbones and make extensive use of zero settlement peering.
baess

1 edit

baess

said by bdnhsv:

Everyone is already paying their fair share - and then some. The profit margin for a decent sized ISP like WOW is around 85% for residential cable modem service - higher for the bigger guys since they own their backbones and make extensive use of zero settlement peering.

Companies ripping off consumers and making huge profits doesn't change the fact that internet only customers use way more bandwith so on a comparable basis they get a much better deal. I didn't make it up, plenty of articles about it.

WOW! falls right in line with their recent offer of 30/3 for $30. I pay way more than that because I want TV too. I know I'm barking up the wrong tree since most everyone on here is cord cutting, yet keeping their internet, but it is what it is.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

How much someone uses their internet connection has almost no effect on the ISP's costs - if they have engineered their network properly. Using that same line of reasoning should you pay more for a TV channel if you watch it more than other customers (ex. if you watch Discovery Channel 10 hours a week and I watch it 2 hours, should you pay 5 times what I pay for that channel)?