spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wasp88
join:2002-09-20
Kansas City, MO

wasp88

Extreme 100 and dual LAN card

I have a Gigabyte board with a Smart Dual LAN card. When I had 30/5 service, I could get 60/5 by using both sockets. Now, I receive 110/5 with either one or both sockets. Am I just ignorant to assume the dual LAN would push me to 150-175/5 with the X100 service? Do I need to swap out Cat-5 for Cat-7 cable?

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

With 30/5 you probably had Powerboost. TWC dropped that when they started going to higher tiers. Nothing you do will make your speeds higher

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to wasp88

Premium Member

to wasp88
What do you mean by "using both sockets"? I assume you have a router of some sort, connecting two network interfaces to one router doesn't accomplish a whole lot, since NAT just combines them back into one interface anyway.

The behavior you're getting now is correct. You might have just been set up on the wrong profile before or something. Are you sure you didn't previously have 50mbps (+ over provisioning?)

With 30/5 you probably had Powerboost. TWC dropped that when they started going to higher tiers. Nothing you do will make your speeds higher

I don't think that was it. TWC stopped doing powerboost with DOCSIS 3.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Then it may have been the 30/5 tier was upgraded to the 50/5 tier when max was rolled out but that isn't quite right either.... »ir.timewarnercable.com/i ··· ult.aspx

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to wasp88

Premium Member

to wasp88
The dual lan function on your motherboard won't give you any higher speeds. It didn't work that way in the past either, it will give you (if the switch you use supports it) double the bandwidth inside your home, but doesn't increase anything to the outside world.

You can however purchase a router with 2 WAN ports, and combine 2 accounts. You would pay for 2 separate accounts, get 2 modems, and plug a modem into each WAN port. It would then "double"* your speed.

* It would not double your speed of a single download, but it would be able to load balance downloads and internet activity between the two connections.

Some people have cable for their primary internet, and have the cheapest you can find DSL/U-Verse or something like that as a backup in case the first one fails.
wasp88
join:2002-09-20
Kansas City, MO

wasp88

Here's how Gigabyte explains it:

"Teaming can be explained with a simple example of connecting two PCs via a LAN cable: without teaming the connection speed is limited to that of one LAN port; with teaming enabled the network bandwidth is effectively doubled to that of two LAN ports, i.e. up to 2 Gbps."

The LAN card has two sockets. I plugged both into the router - ports 1 & 2 - and my 30/5 speed becomes 50/5.

Oh well, I'm just happy to have the 100/5. Looking for 300/20 in March.
omghi2u
join:2001-02-05

omghi2u

said by wasp88:

"Teaming can be explained with a simple example of connecting two PCs via a LAN cable: without teaming the connection speed is limited to that of one LAN port; with teaming enabled the network bandwidth is effectively doubled to that of two LAN ports, i.e. up to 2 Gbps."

The LAN card has two sockets. I plugged both into the router - ports 1 & 2 - and my 30/5 speed becomes 50/5.

Your actual external internet speed is limited by the cable modem speed caps. If you got two modems you could potentially bond them and increase speed.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to wasp88

Premium Member

to wasp88
said by wasp88:

Like I said, within your LAN, that can work just fine. I have configured servers with 4 NIC's that way to combine a speed of 4 Gbit/s to serve users within an office building faster.

That has nothing to do with your internet capabilities however, those are determined by, and only by your modem.