uniqs
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings

Premium Member

Hitron 4.2.4.5 Admin Console Lag

Prior to the release of 4.2.4.5, when you clicked on the "Basic" tab, it would take a minute or more before the "Connected Devices" table was populated (in the lower half of the page). Now, at least for me, it is taking much longer - two to three minutes.

It's difficult to believe that Hitron would knowingly release software this bad. If you share this problem, have you figured out a way to mitigate it? (Other than using it in bridge mode - but I already have enough networking gear cluttering up my office!)
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by ings:

It's difficult to believe that Hitron would knowingly release software this bad

Then you must be fairly new to the CGN3.

I got mine last January and for the first two months the device (while in bridge mode) would crash every two days or so and require a power cycle to come back to life (until 4.2.4.3 was released)
And browsing the web UI caused it to crash.
And before that port forwarding didn't work at all.
And in 4.2.4.3 if you hooked up a 10/100 device to the gateway then your transfer speeds would slow way down.

Any of those issues should surely be caught by Quality Assurance before the firmware is released. But they don't appear to have Quality Assurance at Hitron.

SimplePanda
BSD
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Montreal, QC

SimplePanda to ings

Premium Member

to ings
said by ings:

It's difficult to believe that Hitron would knowingly release software this bad. If you share this problem, have you figured out a way to mitigate it? (Other than using it in bridge mode - but I already have enough networking gear cluttering up my office!)

wayner92 sums it up. There has never been a version of the CGN3 firmware released by Rogers that wasn't basically broken in some capacity.

Is the issue Hitron's firmware or Rogers modifications? Tough to say.. but fundamentally Rogers QA is really on the hook for this at the end of the day.

Pretty much inexcusable.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to wayner92

MVM

to wayner92
said by wayner92:

Any of those issues should surely be caught by Quality Assurance before the firmware is released. But they don't appear to have Quality Assurance at Hitron

IMO, its a Hitron issue. Rogers do not have the capability to do quality assurance because they are not the OEM --- but Hitron and its ODM do. The problem is that Hitron and many other Taiwanese ODMs are in actual fact very lackadaisical due to poor technology disciplines.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by mozerd:

problem is that Hitron and many other Taiwanese ODMs are in actual fact very lackadaisical due to poor technology disciplines.

Isn't Asus a Taiwanese ODM as well? Their routers are quite highly though of and I prefer using Asus motherboards in my computers. Too bad they don't make gateways.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by wayner92:

Isn't Asus a Taiwanese ODM as well? Their routers are quite highly though of and I prefer using Asus motherboards in my computers. Too bad they don't make gateways.

Yes they are a Taiwanese company. ASUS motherboards are excellent without question ... ASUS does not make the boards that go into their routers .... Those are made by contract with another ODM and firmware is also licensed from the reference firmware provided by the Prime Chip producer like Broadcomm etc. the firmware is modified by Assus in house programmers who incorporate features and capabilities they believe people want in a very broad sense. Unfortunately Asus firmware is not without issues due to the same discipline issues but they do try and fix frequently. Asus have absolutely no control over the wireless drivers embedded in the firmware.
JiminToronto
join:2014-12-21
Toronto, ON

JiminToronto to mozerd

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

said by wayner92:

Any of those issues should surely be caught by Quality Assurance before the firmware is released. But they don't appear to have Quality Assurance at Hitron

IMO, its a Hitron issue. Rogers do not have the capability to do quality assurance because they are not the OEM --- but Hitron and its ODM do. The problem is that Hitron and many other Taiwanese ODMs are in actual fact very lackadaisical due to poor technology disciplines.

Rogers may not be able to do QA, but they sure should be doing stringent user acceptance testing to find these issues before releasing them to their unsuspecting customers. I've been a Rogers customer for decades and have never seen them introduce something without major problems. Most recently, they are the Nextbox 3 and the CGN3.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by JiminToronto:

but they sure should be doing stringent user acceptance testing to find these issues before releasing them to their unsuspecting customers. I've been a Rogers customer for decades and have never seen them introduce something without major problems. Most recently, they are the Nextbox 3 and the CGN3.

I've also been a Rogers customer since they bought Ottawa Cablevision --- forgot how long that is but its a long time. Rogers Tech people do as much as their budget allows them to do. Since I am a technologist the one thing that I can state without a showdown of doubt is THAT In to-days technology marketplace, my experience is that most consumer grade mass produced integrated GATEWAY products [like the Hitron CGN3] do not provide ROBUST seamless integrated capability and functionality in FIRMWARE [embedded system integrated capability and functionality like cable-modem, Routing, Firewall - NAT-T/PAT/SPI, VPN - IPSec/L2TP/PPTP, Ethernet Switch, Wireless Access Point]. And no matter how good the glowing reports and reviews are for these products, they all continue to have far too many disruptive issues. THIS WILL NOT change because that is the NATURE of the beast.

As a technologist I strives to provide my clients with a stable network environment comprised of robust devices that I know from experience will provide needed reliability, capability|functionality and transparency. Granted, my approach is a more expensive approach in the short term, but I have a mindset that networks I install and support should be invisible once set up correctly. You should just be able to use it whenever and however you want without having to deal with dropped connections, reboots, freeze ups, etc.

Rogers relies on their suppliers.
Bell relies on their suppliers.
Telus relies on their suppliers.
Tom Dick and Harry relies on their suppliers.
Do you get the PICTURE JiminToronto
JiminToronto
Toronto, ON

2 edits

JiminToronto

said by mozerd:

said by JiminToronto:

but they sure should be doing stringent user acceptance testing to find these issues before releasing them to their unsuspecting customers. I've been a Rogers customer for decades and have never seen them introduce something without major problems. Most recently, they are the Nextbox 3 and the CGN3.

I've also been a Rogers customer since they bought Ottawa Cablevision --- forgot how long that is but its a long time. Rogers Tech people do as much as their budget allows them to do. Since I am a technologist the one thing that I can state without a showdown of doubt is THAT In to-days technology marketplace, my experience is that most consumer grade mass produced integrated GATEWAY products [like the Hitron CGN3] do not provide ROBUST seamless integrated capability and functionality in FIRMWARE [embedded system integrated capability and functionality like cable-modem, Routing, Firewall - NAT-T/PAT/SPI, VPN - IPSec/L2TP/PPTP, Ethernet Switch, Wireless Access Point]. And no matter how good the glowing reports and reviews are for these products, they all continue to have far too many disruptive issues. THIS WILL NOT change because that is the NATURE of the beast.

As a technologist I strives to provide my clients with a stable network environment comprised of robust devices that I know from experience will provide needed reliability, capability|functionality and transparency. Granted, my approach is a more expensive approach in the short term, but I have a mindset that networks I install and support should be invisible once set up correctly. You should just be able to use it whenever and however you want without having to deal with dropped connections, reboots, freeze ups, etc.

Rogers relies on their suppliers.
Bell relies on their suppliers.
Telus relies on their suppliers.
Tom Dick and Harry relies on their suppliers.
Do you get the PICTURE JiminToronto

Yes, I "get" the picture. I was in IT for a few decades and held many very senior positions at a major bank. Were we reliant on our suppliers? Of course, but we worked closely with them and would never have implemented a product without strict, disciplined user acceptance procedures. Not only that, but we always ran a pilot project with a small group of users to shake everything down before it would end up in production. Obviously, banking is much more critical than ISP's cable TV, wireless, and possibly internet services, although I guess an argument could be made that internet falls into the critical category these days. I was the project manager for said bank way back and was responsible for implementing its first Canada-wide SNA network to support new terminals in its 1,400 plus branches.

Any company that relies completely on its suppliers is just asking for trouble and it always manifests itself with shoddy products that customers have to put up with. It seems to me the attitude is "We really need to rush product xyz to market because our competitors are doing the same thing. We'll deal with the fall out and fix all the problems afterwards".
ings
Premium Member
join:2004-12-22
Toronto, ON

ings

Premium Member

said by JiminToronto:

Any company that relies completely on its suppliers is just asking for trouble

I agree. Of course you rely on your suppliers, but you still have to manage them to ensure *your* business goals are met. How much management is required depends in part on how good the supplier is. Apparently Hitron needs a lot of help.
JiminToronto
Toronto, ON

JiminToronto

said by ings:

said by JiminToronto:

Any company that relies completely on its suppliers is just asking for trouble

I agree. Of course you rely on your suppliers, but you still have to manage them to ensure *your* business goals are met. How much management is required depends in part on how good the supplier is. Apparently Hitron needs a lot of help.

Very true. I eventually left my banking career and went out on my own specializing in project management. I had many experiences working with suppliers and their clients as a "middle man". At different times, my clients were either suppliers or their clients.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by JiminToronto:

specializing in project management

Yea, project management is like stealing money from the biggest piggy bank in the universe.

1 billion + dollars for »www.healthcare.gov/

and the project managers still don't know how to get it RIGHT.

Good old fashioned disciplines is all it takes --- NOT a bunch of project managers who only know how to manage acronyms.

OH yes, the GAS INCINERATION PLANTS in Ontario that McGuinty and his Project Management cronies bilked the public for another Billions dollars ...... Project management ,,,, YEA give me project management and I will solve all your problems.
JiminToronto
Toronto, ON

JiminToronto

said by mozerd:

said by JiminToronto:

specializing in project management

Yea, project management is like stealing money from the biggest piggy bank in the universe.

1 billion + dollars for »www.healthcare.gov/

and the project managers still don't know how to get it RIGHT.

Good old fashioned disciplines is all it takes --- NOT a bunch of project managers who only know how to manage acronyms.

OH yes, the GAS INCINERATION PLANTS in Ontario that McGuinty and his Project Management cronies bilked the public for another Billions dollars ...... Project management ,,,, YEA give me project management and I will solve all your problems.

I hear you and agree completely. When I saw the things you mention happen, I just shook my head. Project Management isn't rocket science as the saying goes. It requires discipline, attention to detail, the ability to escalate issues, and good interpersonal skills to get people on a project to work together effectively, just to name a few. Many years ago, I contracted as a project manager for a client in the benefits and pension sector. One of their clients was Nortel Networks, which had a need to implement a plan for its employees. The project had a drop-dead date, which I referred to as right to left scheduling. I worked with Nortel people all around the world and, together, we implemented the project on time and within budget. Nortel gave me and some of its project participants an outstanding achievement award and took us on a Caribbean cruise. That was one of the highlights of my career.

I'm fortunate to have a broad background in technology, starting as a computer programmer way back when companies like banks were just getting into them. I came up through the technical ranks into management with increasing responsibilities along the way. When I left banking, I was an assistant VP, but I always kept myself up-to-date with technology. Technical people whom I managed couldn't get away with bafflegab because I always knew what they were talking about and could challenge them.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by JiminToronto:

couldn't get away with bafflegab

AMEN !!!

Interesting background Jim.