Hi guys,

Noob question

The setup:
PC -> (LAN)Firewall(pppoe WAN) -> (LAN)Bridged Modem(WAN) -> ISP

PC -> 192.168.1.X
FW-Lan -> 192.168.1.1
FW-Wan -> Public IP from ISP (PPPOE)
Modem (Lan) -> 192.168.2.1

What rule(s) do I have to put in the firewall to get the PC to establish a connection to the web interface of the modem (»192.168.2.1)
The packets needs to find their way to the modem and return to the PC.

Thanks.
pb2k
join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB

pb2k

Re: [Other] how to connect to a Non-Routable IP across a firewall?

This has bad idea written all over it, but without needing to fiddle around with static routes and firewalls you could try this:
If just one of the ports on the modem is bridged, see if you can change the modem IP to the same subnet as your internal lan, and just connect to one of the unbridged ports.
dsl4ever
join:2014-12-08

1 edit

dsl4ever

I was thinking about doing it... I'm not technical enough to picture how an attacker could bypass the bridge to the firewall and land in the internal network.

I'm just scared of the unknown

If someone spoofs a private IP and hit the BRIDGED public IP, will the modem forward it straight on its lan (now also connected to the private side of the firewall)?

uh...
(I think I'll go plan B - Since the Modem also got WiFi, I'll reach its management interface via a WiFi connection.)

eibgrad
join:2010-03-15
united state

eibgrad to dsl4ever

to dsl4ever
I’m confused. Why is 192.168.2.x unroutable in this configuration? The 192.168.2.x network resides on the other side of the FW’s WAN. Unless you’re claiming that because it’s PPPoE, this WAN to LAN connection is really LAN to LAN (layer 2). Is that how it should be interpreted? If so, and if you only need access from the one PC, why not just add a second IP address to the PC on the same network as the modem (i.e., multi-homed)?
dsl4ever

dsl4ever

said by eibgrad:

Why is 192.168.2.x unroutable in this configuration?

You tell me And btw - no claims at all. I'm cluelessly noticing.

I just tried to multihome the single nic I have on the PC side. It doesn't cross the firewall gateway.

eibgrad
united state

eibgrad to dsl4ever

to dsl4ever
Then it probably just has to do w/ the way bridging the modem works. Perhaps it’s taking the modem off the LAN (maybe it has an option to enable/disable this when configured as a bridge) and as a result it’s not even responding to ARP. And if that happens, even if the FW routes the request over its WAN, it can’t determine the MAC address of the modem, and thus it’s unreachable over ethernet. What you might try doing (provided your FW supports it) is define a static ARP entry for the modem’s LAN MAC address and its LAN ip. You might also have to bind the FW’s WAN to the modem’s network (multi-home it). I feel somewhere in this mix is the answer. But without knowing all that much about your hardware, it’s hard to say what’s possible or practical. Since you don’t typically fuss w/ a modem once configured, it might just be easier to plug a PC/laptop directly into the modem when you need it. And btw, if you plug a PC/laptop in directly and it doesn’t respond, that’s a bad sign.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg to dsl4ever

MVM

to dsl4ever
what firewall are you using?

I have a Ubiquiti ER-POE and all I had to do to reach my cable modem(192.168.100.1) was add a second IP to that WAN port of 192.168.100.2 and set a route. If your FW does not allow for multiple WAN IPs I don't know if you can do it since the modem would be on a different subnet.

The easy way is if you have a switch laying around put it to the modem, then to the FW. run a second NIC in your machine(or simply plug over when needed) and set to the subnet of the modem.
dsl4ever

2 recommendations

dsl4ever

Wassup with the dog pictures guys?

Eibgrad - You lost me at about 1/3 of your reply.
Davidg - My FW can't multihome a WAN port but have multiple WAN ports. So I just patched a cable from another FW WAN port to an available LAN port on the modem... I configured the new FW WAN to 192.168.2.x with a 192.168.2.1 gateway and BOOM. All my PC's can now access the management port of the MODEM.

Problem SOLVED. Thanks guys.

eibgrad
united state

1 recommendation

eibgrad to dsl4ever

to dsl4ever

Re: [Other] Connect to a Non-Routable IP across a firewall? SOLVED

Because our dogs are prettier than most of us.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to dsl4ever

MVM

to dsl4ever

Re: [Other] how to connect to a Non-Routable IP across a firewall?

said by dsl4ever:

What rule(s) do I have to put in the firewall to get the PC to establish a connection to the web interface of the modem (»192.168.2.1)
The packets needs to find their way to the modem and return to the PC.

Unless your NAT router (firewall+PPPoE) can handle two IP addresses on it's WAN port, you can't do what you want. I think some third party firmware is capable, but I have not investigated.

With most DSL there is also the issue of ATM.

One way you could do it is put an inexpensive switch between the router ("(LAN)Firewall(pppoe WAN") and modem ("(LAN)Bridged Modem(WAN)"). Requires at least one computer with two network adapters.

If the modem is a bridged RG, you can gain access through an unused LAN port; though I haven't tried it with th modem configured in the LAN subnet.

Network with two connections.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Natsumi
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : aosake.net

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : aosake.net
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-73-BA-80-33
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2602:24a:de40:7d90:ecb7:fb20:4c40:1239(Preferred)
   Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2602:24a:de40:7d90:e8ae:3d14:e657:1d66(Preferred)
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ecb7:fb20:4c40:1239%10(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.102.137(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:01:21 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, December 21, 2014 11:01:21 AM
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::62a4:4cff:fedc:9198%10
   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.102.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 151001715
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0E-B0-79-1A-00-16-D3-F8-12-0A

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2602:24a:de40:7d90::1
   Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.102.1
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix Search List :
                                       aosake.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-D3-F8-12-0A
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7829:ed26:6429:52fc%9(Preferred)
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 167778003
   DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-0E-B0-79-1A-00-16-D3-F8-12-0A

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:470:20::2
                                       2001:470:0:45::2
                                       2001:418:3ff::53
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

I believe that the wired connection is outside of the ATM tunnel endpoint, thus no Internet access; but I configure it as a "Public network" anyway. The modem is the only device on 192.168.1.0/24 which I am interested in seeing.

shdesigns