All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jcarerra
join:2007-06-13
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra

Samsung TV: STD, HRC or IRC channel scan?

Samsung TV: STD, HRC or IRC channel scan?

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC

None of the above. You need a box from BH to get channels.
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra

said by StephenRC:

Stephen, I have a STB (DVR); when you set up the TV, it has to do a channel scan.
And before it will do the scan, you have to 'tell' it whether to use
STD
HRC
or IRC
(whatever those mean I don't care)
but you have to tell it one of them or it will not do the scan.
I want to use the right setting to be sure it gets all the channels into its memory.

I went ahead and used the STD setting, and it seems to be OK, but actually I do not know it if found all of the channels...or even if that would matter since it is behind digital box.
But you DO have to go through the step to complete the setup.

rb
@70.125.9.x

rb

Anon

I asked this same question from BHN Tech Support years back; they advised to use STD.....and as far as I can tell; my TV located all available non-scrambled channels
jcarerra
Satellite Beach, FL

jcarerra

Interestingly, after I did the scan, I just noticed that I cannot change channels with the TV controller ("not available"). I guess that is because the signal is coming in on the HDMI port, so there really is nothing to "tune." Makes sense.

rb
@70.125.9.x

rb

Anon

OK...now I see how you are connected.....if you only have your TV connected HDMI the scan was worthless.

If you want to use your TV's tuner...and your TV has an RF connection (Antenna); you need to get a 2-way splitter from BHN, split the Incoming BHN Co-Ax and connect one line off the splitter to the BHN Box the other to your TV's RF Input. Then select antenna from your TV's Input selections. Now your TV is receiving TV channels direct....and the scan using STD will locate and lock in non scrambled channels. I use this setup when there are 2 shows being recorded on my DVR and I want to watch TV....I select Antenna....off my TV...and watch normal TV.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

Aprel

Yes but jcarerra is in Melbourne, which has gone All Digital. As Stephen already pointed out, in CFL you won't get any channels by connecting coax to TV.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to jcarerra

Premium Member

to jcarerra
said by jcarerra:

said by StephenRC:

Stephen, I have a STB (DVR); when you set up the TV, it has to do a channel scan.
And before it will do the scan, you have to 'tell' it whether to use
STD
HRC
or IRC
(whatever those mean I don't care)
but you have to tell it one of them or it will not do the scan.
I want to use the right setting to be sure it gets all the channels into its memory.

I went ahead and used the STD setting, and it seems to be OK, but actually I do not know it if found all of the channels...or even if that would matter since it is behind digital box.
But you DO have to go through the step to complete the setup.

You are in CFL...you are all digital and encrypted...it will find no channels. If you are using HDMI it should never even ask you that question...it's totally irrelevant as the TV tuner isn't even used.

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC to jcarerra

to jcarerra
said by jcarerra:

You'll find that the tv's built in tuner won't find any channels when connected to the coax from BH.

The STB should be connected via HDMI unless it's a really old tv, so the turner functions will not be used. Of course if you have an antenna, then the tv's tuner can be used.

Cman
@72.188.29.x

Cman to jcarerra

Anon

to jcarerra
If STD is working for you, go for it. HRC and IRC are both methods of reducing distortion between channels. HRC = Harmonically Related Carriers and IRC = Incrementally Related carriers (not to be confused with Internet Relay Chat) if you want to look them up.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup

said by Cman :

If STD is working for you, go for it. HRC and IRC are both methods of reducing distortion between channels. HRC = Harmonically Related Carriers and IRC = Incrementally Related carriers (not to be confused with Internet Relay Chat) if you want to look them up.

As was said earlier, CFL is all digital, meaning none of those will find any channels.