Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to raytaylor

Premium Member

to raytaylor

Re: If you needed to backhaul to a new tower 20 miles away, would you:

said by raytaylor:

If your getting -76 then it might be misaligned if my link is -72 and over double the length.
I havent noticed anything super bad - both ends have about 4 nanobeam bridges, and 3 sectors - just gotta keep it away from the other radios.

He is using DFS though. Not sure you were but wouldn't think possible if you are -72 at twice the distance.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by Inssomniak:

said by raytaylor:

If your getting -76 then it might be misaligned if my link is -72 and over double the length.
I havent noticed anything super bad - both ends have about 4 nanobeam bridges, and 3 sectors - just gotta keep it away from the other radios.

He is using DFS though. Not sure you were but wouldn't think possible if you are -72 at twice the distance.

Ja, different countries too, so maybe different EIRP.

bito
Premium Member
join:2001-10-08
Monroe, NC

1 recommendation

bito

Premium Member

So with the later versions of fw (maybe the beta, I forget) on AF it knows what your RX signal should be based on distance and channel and power and adjusts the colors/length of the signal bar accordingly. Works well. It's pretty neat, being able to see visually if you're getting what you should be. +1 UBNT.

-76 sounds about right for DFS at that distance with US EIRP rules. I would run a link calc with their super awesome little calculator thing but oh wait you can only do that for AF5 if you have access to the GUI on one and not any of their other link calc tools. -1 UBNT.
ExMachina09
Premium Member
join:2014-12-20
united state

ExMachina09

Premium Member

In regard to my original post, a new potential bandwidth provider is trying to sell us on two circuits at these two different sites connected via IPsec VPN tunnel.

The two separate circuits would obviously cost a bit more per/Mb, but we would not have to worry about the 20 mile licensed hop.

Without getting into the pros/cons of the financial side, are there any other things we should consider about the VPN tunnel? Bad idea?

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

I'd be wary of VPN for mission critical stuff. What kind of circuits are they trying to sell you? As I asked in my original post: who is the ILEC?
Are both sites served from the same C.O.?
ExMachina09
Premium Member
join:2014-12-20
united state

ExMachina09

Premium Member

We'll probably start with two 20's if we double up. Maybe a 50 and 20. The company is a CLEC or DLEC (Nitel). And we're waiting on confirmation, but the I believe the two sites will have fiber from different providers. Their rates are actually more competitive than the incumbents.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Is there any reason they can't give you VCC on the circuits? Any provider with IXC status should be able to do this. That way you do not have to fuss with VPN.